The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Help with flustration count (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
I've been practicing the flustration count and don't feel comfortable with it. I would like to be smoother with it. The major problems that I seem to be having with it are the fact that I'm having trouble sliding the cards off (the packet buckles), and I'm not able to keep the remaining cards in line(I keep having to tap them back together, which messes up the smoothness). Any tips would be helpful.

Mike
At Ease Tees - Christian apparel and other items!
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1522 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
Remember: Light touch!
FreefallFool
View Profile
New user
UK
61 Posts

Profile of FreefallFool
When I do it I grip the packet with enough pressure to bend it slightly, in my left hand. That keeps the cards in line. I then thumb off cards into my right hand by moving my left hand from side to side, keeping my right hand as still as possible.

I also started really slowly at first, learning what pressure was needed to move a single card. The fluency came with practice.

Hope that helps...

Jason
Smile It's not how far you fall, it's how you land... Smile
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2822 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
If your skin is dry you tend to have a heavy touch. Use some skin conditioner/lotion to provide a little tackiness to your thumb. msc455magic summed it up: a light touch is necessary. If the cards are old and sticky use some newer ones. I hold the packet firmly in the right Biddle with the pinky at the extreme outer right hand corner and the middle and third finger in the center.
The index finger sort of "floats" above the back of the packet. This grip ensures the cards stay aligned properly when I thumb the cards off. Practice the light touch...you will eventually acquire the knack.
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
I'm sure the advice thus far has been helpful for the Flustration count. Once you get it down, I'd recommend looking into Vallarino's Rhumba Count as well. Good luck.

Cody
ShaunRobison
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of ShaunRobison
A metronome would really come in handy to learn the Flustration count as well as the rhumba count and even the elmsley.

It is a timing thing and each take of the card should be the same speed as the first..
www.shaunrobison.com
Magic and Illustrations
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10490 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
First of all I would highly recommend Alan Ackerman's video on false counts.
second JC Wagner has a very nice touch on the flustration count that I use and makes the count look even more deceptive.
pm e with e mail address and ill teach this technique to you
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
7536 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I'm confused! Why and when do you use a buckle of any kind when doing the FlusHtration Count? I may be wrong, perhaps thinking of something else, but if you're using a buckle, you're not doing the FlusHtration Count. (I've capitalized the H because I believe this is the correct spelling. HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
FreefallFool
View Profile
New user
UK
61 Posts

Profile of FreefallFool
Harry, I think marD is explaining that when he thumbs off a card the pressure causes the packet in his hand to bend/buckle and generally slide about. I don't think he is deliberately buckling the packet.

It would, as msc455magic surmissed, imply too heavy a touch when drawing off the cards.

Feel free to correct me if my earlier post was misleading...

Regards,

Jason.
FreefallFool
View Profile
New user
UK
61 Posts

Profile of FreefallFool
Quote:
On 2007-04-05 11:16, vinsmagic wrote:
second JC Wagner has a very nice touch on the flustration count that I use and makes the count look even more deceptive.
vinny

Vinny, would that apply to me too? I use the flusHtration count in a book test. I'll say no more... It feels a little transparent when I do it, but that's maybe just because I'm aware of what I'm doing.

Cheers,

Jason
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Quote:
On 2007-04-05 08:05, KRZ4kardz wrote:
If your skin is dry you tend to have a heavy touch. Use some skin conditioner/lotion to provide a little tackiness to your thumb...

Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> Smile Smile

Absolutely the best advice. Dry hands cause all sort of problems and, especially while you are learning it, you don't want dry hands when you are doing this (although it is SO much easier once you get the hang of it, I just did the count with gloves on, to give you an idea).

I work a lot less with cards these days but years ago I got some advice that really helped. Use unmedicated Vagisil as a hand moisturizer. You will be amazed at the difference it makes.

-Carlos
Cognite tute
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10490 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Jason pm me for a demo
vinny
Come check out my magic.

FreefallFool
View Profile
New user
UK
61 Posts

Profile of FreefallFool
Quote:
On 2007-04-05 11:16, vinsmagic wrote:
vinny

Vinny, would that apply to me too? I use the flusHtration count in a book test. I'll say no more... It feels a little transparent when I do it, but that's maybe just because I'm aware of what I'm doing.

Cheers,

Jason
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Vinny,

I do like that little change and you do it very well. I wouldn't think so but have you ever gotten questions because you change the way you are showing the cards?

-Carlos
Cognite tute
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10490 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Carlos in answer to your querstion I have never ever been questioned to the handling of the cards....
Jc showed that to me and I have been using it ever since
vinny
Come check out my magic.

John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
Quote:
On 2007-04-05 09:48, ShaunRobison wrote:
A metronome would really come in handy to learn the Flustration count as well as the rhumba count and even the elmsley.

It is a timing thing and each take of the card should be the same speed as the first..

ShaunRobison,
Great tip.
I will start using one when I practice.

~John
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
Try holding the packet with only your middle and ring fingers at the outer right corner. Also as many have mentioned use a VERY light touch. I can't stress that enough.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I completely agree about the use of some sort of hand lotion like Corn Huskers or Neutragena. I find that when sliding a card off a pack, if my thumb is dry, it is an all but impossible task. One solution, albeit a tacky one, would be to lick your fingers and thumb (out of site of the audience of course) just before performing the trick. You could even put some on the palm of your hand if part of your handling the cards requires using that part (like the erdnase color change).
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
Harry Lorayne, as usual, is correct. The Flushtration Count, in which cards are taken by the right hand one on top of the other, and the hand turned over to show the same back (or face) as additional cards are taken, should require no Buckle.

As to the 'H' in FlusHtration -- this is a mystery, Harry. I edited the big Hamman book and changed all the 'Flustrations' in the text to 'Flushtration' back then. If you look in the index, you'll find Richard Kaufman lists 'Flustration Count' and 'Double Flushtration Count', spelling it both ways.

So I really don't know. I've thought about this over the years (shows you what kind of a life I lead). If it's a pun on 'Frustration', which it obviously is, maybe 'Flustration' is correct after all!

I still call it 'Flushtration' in manuscripts I write or edit.

Matt Field
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10490 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Well it depends if you are right or left handed..
I use plain old spit, I lick my finger if ncessary ..
vinny
Come check out my magic.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Help with flustration count (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL