The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Help with flustration count (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Possible stupid question. Is this related or the same premise as the Olram Subltlety? You keep showing the face card of a small packet as you peal cards off the back of the packet? A second cousin to the Hindu Shuffle way of showing "the deck is all (same card shown over and over again)"
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
Guys, let's not make this harder than it is. It's not even a move. It's just a subtle way of false showing cards. (And, by the way, it's not even subtle if you're using it as the only proof - it should only be used in a casual, offhand way as an added convincer after they already believe the cards to all be the same.) This has to be the 2nd most easy thing to do with a deck of cards, right after dealing.
Casey Sullivan
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Casey Sullivan
I found out that making sure that the skin of my right hand fingers (the ones holding the packet) touch only the very edge of the packet helps. If the skin of my fingers and thumb overlap and touch the face or back of the packet, the cards do not slide off as smoothly.

And if I press down too hard with my left thumb the cards become unsquared. So I try to use just enough pressure to move the card, but no more.

And the quality of the cards matter. If I am using an old sticky deck, just forget about it.

Casey
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Pete, I'm surprised at you - they're two entirely different moves, entirely different concepts.

And, I'm still confused. My hands are dryer than most, and I have absolutely no problem doing the Flushtration Count. Perhaps it's because you're all thinking of peeling the card off the top of the packet with your left thumb (yes, I peel from top of the right-hand packet onto my left palm), when actually, at least it works easily for me - your left thumb simply rests on top of, and holds, the top card as your right hand moves the packet away as it turns palm up to flash the packet's bottom card. Try it that way. I have the feeling that you're all "making a move out of it," and you shouldn't be. HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
PS: And it should be done in rhythm, a fairly rapid rhythm. HL
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
Perhaps it is named "Flushtration" because all the cards are apparently the same much like in poker a "flush" are all the same suit?

Anyway...
Quote:
your left thumb simply rests on top of, and holds, the top card as your right hand moves the packet away as it turns palm up to flash the packet's bottom card. Try it that way. I have the feeling that you're all "making a move out of it," and you shouldn't be. HARRY LORAYNE.

Harry,

I completely agree with doing it in this manner. I believe it is more deceptive when it is done this way, and like you mentioned it has a nice rhythm to it.

-T.J.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2007-04-06 18:39, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Pete, I'm surprised at you - they're two entirely different moves, entirely different concepts.

And, I'm still confused. My hands are dryer than most, and I have absolutely no problem doing the Flushtration Count. Perhaps it's because you're all thinking of peeling the card off the top of the packet with your left thumb (yes, I peel from top of the right-hand packet onto my left palm), when actually, at least it works easily for me - your left thumb simply rests on top of, and holds, the top card as your right hand moves the packet away as it turns palm up to flash the packet's bottom card. Try it that way. I have the feeling that you're all "making a move out of it," and you shouldn't be. HARRY LORAYNE.
Lots of good advise/tips in this thread so far. Harry's tip is excellent (thanx). I hope the original poster appreciates the wisdom/experience expressed within, he hasn't chimed in since his first post. We must realize though, what may be easy for one individual; may be a stumbling block for another. What counts ultimately is the help and encouragement shared by the Magic Café community.
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
COHIBA is correct, it is a casual handling of the cards and I disagree with others that it is a rapid showing of cards it is just the opposite.
this is the best explaniaton yet.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Quote:
On 2007-04-06 09:43, vinsmagic wrote:
Well it depends if you are right or left handed..
I use plain old spit, I lick my finger if ncessary ..

That works, but every card magician and most wise card players will recognize the moment that you're licking your fingers is the moment you are just about to do a move.

My hands are really dry, so I need to use Skinners Edge Cream or a product I found called Paquin Plus. Most moisturizers are oil-based and no good. Any good glycerin-based hand moisturizer will get you through a routine without having to lick your fingers just before you have to do a move.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Balony I lick my fingers out of habit,weather doing a move or just dealing cards in a poker game and every one is not a mind reader so speak for yourself...please don't say every magician or wise people know .and don't try to elevate your self by bringing me down with how knowledgeable you think you are.
Come check out my magic.

Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Remind me not to shake hands...
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Yes it is a very dirty habit I have all my life..
don't worry I'll never shake your hand
Come check out my magic.

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Harry me bucko... I know they are separate and different moves/grips, etc., but what I meant was are they all RELATED, ie: Showing the face card of a packet over and over again with the mark thinking you are showing them different cards each time. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mr Rubiks
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Mr Rubiks
If your problem is dry fingertips hunt down a copy of Gary Ouellet's CloseUp Illusions and turn to page 56. Tackiness will never be a problem again. I can't reveal the solution since Gary felt it was worth the price of the book and went so far as to write: "Don't tell anyone about this".
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I don't know how you do it with dry hands, Harry. Just tried it the way you suggested, since I also use this count for The Web by Michael Close. Yet I still need the thumb to at least be moistened in order for the top card only to stay behind.

Of course, dryness of the hands depends on so many things. Right now, a big thing is the weather in my area. It is very cold and the air very dry. On top of that, I have a medical condition that only aggrevates the condition. My fingers, under these conditions, tend to look like wrinkled prunes. Normally this would not be a problem, but is when handling cards.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
Quote:
On 2007-04-07 20:36, clynim wrote:
I also use this count for The Web by Michael Close. Yet I still need the thumb to at least be moistened in order for the top card

You mean The Web by Jim Pace?

Matt Field
The Hitchhiker
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of The Hitchhiker
Quote:
On 2007-04-05 09:32, Cody Fisher wrote:
I'm sure the advice thus far has been helpful for the Flustration count. Once you get it down, I'd recommend looking into Vallarino's Rhumba Count as well. Good luck.

Cody

Daryl has the Rhumba Count with Flustration preceding on Volume 6 'Encyclopedia of Card Sleights'

Regards

Jason.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Quote:
Quote:

On 2007-04-07 20:36, clynim wrote:
I also use this count for The Web by Michael Close. Yet I still need the thumb to at least be moistened in order for the top card

You mean The Web by Jim Pace?

Mfield, you are absolutely correct. It is Jim Pace's effect. Sorry about that. Great trick, by the way. Just be careful who you do it to! Smile
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Quote:
On 2007-04-07 00:56, MagicAndBlackjack wrote:
Perhaps it is named "Flushtration" because all the cards are apparently the same much like in poker a "flush" are all the same suit?

As spelled in this quote, 'Flushtration Count' is the correct name for the sleight.

It was named when John Hamman's 'Flushtration' was released in 1960's. But the sleight is not the invention of John Hamman. Similar handling in Hindu Shuffle position was used in Harris Solomon's 'Nomolos' (March 1938 issue of JINX). In June 1955 issue of IBIDEM, Norman Houghton published 'Color Blind' which seems the first trick using the count in Biddle position.

Returning to the initial subject in this thread, I would like to point that peeling off must be done to straightly to left, not to lower left. If you peel of cards to lower left, it gives much pressure on cards which cause the problem we are talking about.

Hideo Kato
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
I got really busy this weekend (Easter production at my church) but I wanted to thank you all for the tips that you've given me. Vinny, the video was great and I appreciate you taking the time to do that for me. I think that the main problem that I had was that I was holding on too tight. I'm still practicing to get just the right amount of pressure, but it will come.

Thanks again to all those that have helped with this! Please don't let this end the thread though. There is a lot of good info and discussion here...

Mike
At Ease Tees - Christian apparel and other items!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Help with flustration count (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL