The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Great Optical Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
You can even set it as your desktop wallpaper, and most animated .gif files will actually cycle continuously. Pretty cool stuff.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
Here is another eye fatigue / persistence of vision optical illusion you all may enjoy.

Focus on the tip of the nose, the chin, or the pendant around the neck. The picture will alternate every 10 secs.

Michael

http://tinyurl.com/2fo2s5
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
I prefered the pendant

:)
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Quote:
On 2007-04-16 01:31, MrHyde wrote:
I prefered the pendant

:)

The tank top works even better. I just tried it.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
Fantastic
wordSMITH
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of wordSMITH
Indeed: that one is rather good!
David de Leon
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
418 Posts

Profile of David de Leon
I don't think the mechanism at work in the pool table illusion is "chromatic adaptation". I think this works by means of an afterimage (of the coloured balls) being superinposed on top of the image of the black and white balls. You can demonstrate the fact that you have formed a coloured afterimage by looking at a white surface after staring at the coloured image for a while (about the duration set in the film). You should then also see the coloured pool balls.
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

You are right david; It works by a combination of Retinal Fatigue and Persistence of Vision.

For those interested in making one of these images, use your favorite editing software (Photoshop, Elements, Graphic Converter, etc.) and follow the steps below. These were used to create the young lady illusion linked-to above.

1. Layer two identical images.
2. "Greyscale" one image (i.e. make it B&W), and "Invert" the other (i.e. make it a photographic negative).
3. Produce an Animated Gif with a 10 sec. loop.

Michael
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
For some other less striking, but nonetheless cool examples, go to this page about Chromatic Adaptation.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Quote:
On 2007-04-17 16:33, MichaelSibbernsen wrote:
You are right david; It works by a combination of Retinal Fatigue and Persistence of Vision.

As far as I was aware, Persistence of Vision is what is at play when viewing film or animation. Because the images are not rapidly changing in this illusion (the pool table...not the spider), I don't see POV's role in the optical puzzle.

This talk of explaining the illusion through retinal fatigue sounds strangely familiar...
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Andini,

Since the retina is "retaining an image" from one point in time to another, it can be seen as a form of Persistence of Vision. Regarding the phenomenon as used in frame motion; there has been for some time a debate whether this is even an accurate notion. There in a nice article found here; http://www.uca.edu/org/ccsmi/ccsmi/class......ited.htm

And yes, you did mention the Retina Fatigue above. My brief explanation came from another more in-depth thread made about a year ago on another board (by a variety of authors) where I dissected John Sadowski's Castle Illusion. Mine was not derivative of your post; apologies if it seemed that way.

Michael
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Here was my original post made last June on another board. I thought it may prove interesting to the folks reading this thread. Be sure to take a look at the wonderful Spanish Castle Illusion (linked to by Andini above) before going further. This was posted after a thorough explanation of the illusion of provided, and used only to illustrate those points.

---------------------------

Below are the four images (2 real, 2 virtual) that you experience while viewing this illusion.

1) The Real Black and White

2) The Real Negative Color Image

3) The Virtual Inverted Negative (i.e. Positive) Color after-image that appears on your eye due to "retina fatigue". (To create this image, I color-inverted #2)

4) The Virtual combination of #3 and the #1 that appears by superimposing the after-image on your retina with the actual B&W. (To create this image, I gave #3 a 35% transparency, and laid it on top of #1)

Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Thanks for the links!
That was pretty amazing ^^
DanielSkahen
View Profile
New user
NY
64 Posts

Profile of DanielSkahen
Very awesome, great stuff.
- Dan Skahen
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Thanks.

Also suggests that latent / negative image formation is part of how we detect edges in our visual perception.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Amazing pool table and castle illusion! Thanks for those. And the tank-top.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Great Optical Illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL