The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2003 entrée: Darwin Ortiz » » Which book/video to begin with? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stevehw
View Profile
Veteran user
Collinsville, Mississippi
303 Posts

Profile of stevehw
Darwin,
I don't have any of your material yet, but would like to begin with one of your books or videos.
I am not a beginner, but not advanced either.
Since you have several books and videos out, which would you recommend as a starting point for your work?

Thanks
Steve
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
486 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Steve:

I don’t think it matters which of my three card books you start with. If you want to see how my thinking has developed, you can read them in chronological order: Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table, Cardshark, Scams & Fantasies with Cards.

One thing I do advise is that you read the book before going to the accompanying set of videos. I believe that the main value of magic videos is as a supplement to books. If you read the books without watching the videos, you won’t miss much. If you watch the videos without reading the books, you’ll miss a lot.

Since it’s hard for me to be objective about my own writings, perhaps some other Café members may wish to offer responses to your question.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
I would recommend starting out with Strong Magic, and if you want some routines to go along with it you can pick up any one of those 3 books because they are all excellent.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
da5id
View Profile
Loyal user
Dublin, Ireland
268 Posts

Profile of da5id
I would love to purchase Strong Magic but I'm having a difficult time finding it since it's out of print. Darwin, do you sell it yourself or can you recommend somewhere online that will ship to Ireland? Thanks!
Ulf Richter
View Profile
New user
Germany
51 Posts

Profile of Ulf Richter
Showplace Magic seems to have it available (at least they let me put it in the shopping cart):
http://www.showplacemagic.com/items/item182.htm

http://www.misdirections.com/show.html also lists ist.

Shouldn't be too hard to get. I bought mine just weeks ago (from a German dealer).

Ulf
da5id
View Profile
Loyal user
Dublin, Ireland
268 Posts

Profile of da5id
Thanks Ulf. I ordered it from Misdirections. I'm looking forward to studying it.
MagicSponge
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of MagicSponge
Hi,
I think Strong Magic is by far one of the best books I have ever read. Really great stuff in it, and I learned so much, and the best part was that to learn the stuff from Strong Magic is not difficult. (It does not teach tricks, it does talk about presentation--Teaches technique to presentation/showmanship, and talks a little bit about theory.)

The nice thing about Strong Magic is that Mr. Ortiz has done so much previous research on other books about presentation, such as the Fitzkee trilogy and Magic and Shomanship by Henning Nelms, and many other books. He is able to sum up some of the best things from these books, and give you much more and he also makes it fun to read. (I feel that most of the books on showmanship are rather dull and boring, however, Strong Magic is fun to read. There is often a great joke in there. My favorite one is when he talks about being interrupted when performing. He relates it to being interrupted in a 'private' moment by a phone call!)

If you are interested in learning tricks, I would suggest At the Card Table. I think that this book is one of the best books you could make an investment in. Some reasons are that it has some tricks which are not difficult, and other tricks that are quite difficult. It has tricks that use a faro shuffle, tricks that use a bottle deal, tricks that use riffle stacking, second dealing, and tricks that don't require much skill to accomplish. The other nice thing is that half the book deals with gambling demonstrations, and the other half deals with tricks for a magic show that can be performed at a restaurant or in your own living room. It is a book that has so much great stuff. Another benefit of that book is that it gives an AWESOME description of the pinky count. I learned the pinky count from this book, and he also discusses the benefits of a pinky count and several applications.

All of Mr. Ortiz's books are like this, but for some reason, I feel that At the Card Table is the best. They are all so good it is hard to compare, to be honest. Cardshark is also a great book. I think Cardshark might be out of print, but if you contact a private bookseller or see a bookseller at a magic convention, they would probably be able to get a copy in your hands. Cardshark has one of the best routines I have ever learned. It is called The Showdown.

Darwin's latest book, Scams and Fantasies, is very good. I loved his essay on demonstrating or hiding skill. It brought up some fantastic points. Also, his routine DejaVu poker plays incredibly well for lay audiences. I have only performed it for an audience one time before. My parents had guests come over at our house. There were about 7 or 8 people watching and I was performing in the living room and someone asked me about cheating. I explained that I am no expert, and said that I didn't know much about poker, but that we could try an experiment in which they pick their own cards for poker. And then I went right into the routine, and at the end, they were in disbelief. When I finished up with the royal flush kicker, everyone went silent, and then burst out clapping and cheering and laughing. I then went into a bottom, center, and second dealing demonstration. I really haven't had that much fun with an audience in a long time. I know that if it wasn't for DejaVu poker, it would have been a fun performance, but it would not have been a performance that I would look back on and say, "Gee, I sure am lucky to be doing what I am doing, and how grateful I am for being able to have so much fun performing for an audience."

I love card magic, and I love sleight of hand, and I know that I wouldn't love it as much as I do if it weren't for such great books such as those by Darwin Ortiz, Larry Jennings, Marlo, Ernest Earick, etc., etc., etc.
Being able to compare Darwin Ortiz with legends such as Jennings or Marlo really means that he sure has accomplished something. Pick any of his books that you want. Whichever one you pick will have tons of excellent magic or ideas in it. You will not be disappointed.
Good luck!

Sincerely,
Doug- The Magic Sponge.
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
I couldn't agree more with "MagicSponge"!! I, also, wish you all the best!! -Lee Smile
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
486 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Doug and Lee:

I just want to say that I find your comments very gratifying. It's what makes the hard work of writing worth the effort.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
Kenguru
View Profile
Loyal user
Hungary & Israel
273 Posts

Profile of Kenguru

All right then. I'll go to hell. (Mark Twain)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2003 entrée: Darwin Ortiz » » Which book/video to begin with? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL