The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » The Encylcopedia Of Scams (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I am putting together an online encyclopedia of scams. the idea is to simply outline as many classic frauds and swindles as possible. This might include serious electronic fraud, identity theft, card swindles or even bar bets.

It is not a 'how-to' manual for more of a directory, with each entry taking up no more then 200-300 words.

Here is an example from the first one hundred entries which I have already written:

------------------

Name: Three Dollar T- Shirts

Aka: Small Time Mail Fraud

Victims: Bargain hunters, cheapskates

Crew: One or more

The Scam: The con artist places an advertisement offering $3 T-shirts via mail order. All the victim has to do is send a cheque for $3 for the t-shirt you want. The victim sends off a few bucks and the con artist does nothing. He just keeps their money.

People are unlikely to kick up too much off a fuss about $3 and so rarely chase up the money. If they do cause a fuss, the con artists sends them a cheap t-shirt in the mail.

Variations: This scam has been done with pants, magazines, software and computer parts. It has also been combined with the Sex Toy Scam where the victim is too embarrassed to complain.

Take: $3 x as many people who fall for the scam.

Keywords: Mail fraud, cool off, sales

--------------------

If anyone has a favourite scam they'd like to submit, let me know and I will write it up!

The stranger the better!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » The Encylcopedia Of Scams (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL