The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The all powerful hot rod (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
thefire
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of thefire
It amazes me endlessly how this simple little peice of magic seem to baffle the lay person I do a whole routine with it but I was wondering if anybody out there has any good ending lines.......... I like to hand the rod out to the spec and it seems that I always come up with some quick little line like "these are disposable I can only use it for one performance then I have to get another one" you would be suprised how many people go for these little POSC yet I'm always looking for somthing new or better anybody out there waste any time on this
any thoughts
TroyRoark
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield IL
282 Posts

Profile of TroyRoark
I have a larger paddle version of this trick. My finish is...

"Now I always like to leave my audience with a lesson. Tell me if you can guess what the lesson is."

Then I blow into my empty hand, and magically rub the gems back to different colors.

"You know what the lesson is???" pause "Always brush your teeth..."

It always gets a laugh. I'm sure there are better endings, but that's mine.
ShawnMilo
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of ShawnMilo
If you haven't yet, please do check out "The Amazing Jumping Arrow" by Meir Yedid. Denny sells it (dennymagic.com). It's a paddle-move effect, but much, much better than the hot rod.

A small black stick is shown, and a silver arrow appears, moves, multiplies, and so on. At the end it's fully examinable, and you never have to deal with "Do it again with a different color," and there's no forcing.

It comes with a great routine, and it lends itself to a longer or short routine, based on your preference/venue.

I've been considering putting up a video with my own presentation of it. I love it and carry it with me all the time.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2007-05-04 12:50, ShawnMilo wrote:
If you haven't yet, please do check out "The Amazing Jumping Arrow" by Meir Yedid. Denny sells it (dennymagic.com). It's a paddle-move effect, but much, much better than the hot rod.

A small black stick is shown, and a silver arrow appears, moves, multiplies, and so on. At the end it's fully examinable, and you never have to deal with "Do it again with a different color," and there's no forcing.

It comes with a great routine, and it lends itself to a longer or short routine, based on your preference/venue.

I've been considering putting up a video with my own presentation of it. I love it and carry it with me all the time.

Another nice paddle routine that doesn't use a force but does use an ordinary object would be Mark Jenest's "the Number #2 pencil", great routine...

And who can leave out the knives...

Other good paddle ideas anyone?
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
This is a different concept.
Bird in cage paddle:
http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/magic-bird......895.html
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Jay Sankey teaches a routine on one of his DVDs using a Bic disposable lighter and some stick-on dots. It took me a little while to get the hang of doing the paddle move with the lighter but it was worth it.
ShawnMilo
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of ShawnMilo
Quote:
On 2007-05-04 21:19, Randwill wrote:
Jay Sankey teaches a routine on one of his DVDs using a Bic disposable lighter and some stick-on dots. It took me a little while to get the hang of doing the paddle move with the lighter but it was worth it.

Nice idea. It reminded me once again that not all magic comes from a magic shop and costs a fortune.
nicd
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
164 Posts

Profile of nicd
Jean-Luc Bertrand uses this concept in his "No Smoking" Effekt which is a great routine and has a kicker ending.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Also, Ron Jaxon's Out Smoking, and Bill Burner Clear lighter routine are excellent...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
cameronb
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of cameronb
Mark jenest's No.2 pencil is also an excellent "paddle trick", and it uses an ordinary object that everyone can relate to.

It also has many phases with a surprise ending.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Your ending line should tie in with the patter and the premise you use.

I have a 9" jumbo hot rod made of clear acrylic. It’s a very pretty prop and my friend Kurt Freitag came up with some very clever and entertaining patter. In Kurt’s’ routine, the hot rod is used to read someone’s karma. The ending line I use is: "I'd better put this away now, I don't want my karma to run over your dogma".

By the way… this is a great opening trick because 1) it actually fools many lay people, 2) the patter is fun and entertaining and 3) it’s a good trick to get a read on your audience and get them into a fun and make believe mood.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
thefire
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of thefire
I even more amazed aty the response I got from this post
just gose to show that the paddle trick is still up there with the best of them it will never die and it will never cease to amaze the lay person this is truly a beautiful peice of magic
thefire
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of thefire
Over the years I ve grown to love the simple........not necessarily ordinary but simple
PS sorry for the sloppy typing above
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2007-05-06 19:36, thefire wrote:
Over the years I ve grown to love the simple........not necessarily ordinary but simple
PS sorry for the sloppy typing above
Whadya' do? Burn your fingers?
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
When I performed I walk ar also love around I always opened with the hot rod. I now perform the amazing arrow, however, I don't finish the routine as written. I end with the stick ending up al blank like it began. A clean start and a clean finish.

Michael
ShawnMilo
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of ShawnMilo
Quote:
On 2007-05-07 14:40, Michael Bilkis wrote:
When I performed I walk ar also love around I always opened with the hot rod. I now perform the amazing arrow, however, I don't finish the routine as written. I end with the stick ending up al blank like it began. A clean start and a clean finish.

Michael

Very nice idea! I also perform a modified version of the provided routine. However, I end the same way, so it can be examined if they ask. Come to think of it, they almost never do, and I've stopped offering it for examination when they don't.

I'm also working on my own version where I cause an arrow to appear on one side, then jump, then a second appears, then they kind of chase each other around both sides of the stick. I think this gives a good reason for them to move, and completely justifies the multiplying aspect.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
For hot rod I like to have them rub the "chosen" diamond to heat up the molecules. It sends a message to the other diamonds and they all change to that color. I switch it back to 6 different colors, then explain that most people want to examine the stick (hotrod, they don't know it by that name.) I explain some want to see it while it is their chosen color on both sides and others want to see it while it is 6 different colors on both sides. I want to make everyone happy so here is what I do. I clearly show it to be 6 different colors on both sides and then have them hold out their hand. I rub the all same color side against their palm and show that it changed back to their selected color. Then I lay it on their palm for examination.
JustinVisible
View Profile
Elite user
South Jersey/Philadelphia Areas
453 Posts

Profile of JustinVisible
Well to start with the hot rod routine... I carry 2 of them. One with the rubies as the force then on the offbeat I switch them out for a diamond one.... Usually someone always ask what if I picked a different color... So I come back ad say oh... Like the Diamond - do move and now they are all diamonds....Soak in your greatness and their awe, then put it away, reset for next time....

As for other tricks, I LOVE Meteor Paddle by Brian Geer. My buddy showed it to me and I told him onthe spot I was stealing it and adding it to my set... It plays great and they are a lot of different presentations.

Good Luck
JPV
"If they laugh, it's funny..."
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Quote:
As for other tricks, I LOVE Meteor Paddle by Brian Geer. My buddy showed it to me and I told him onthe spot I was stealing it and adding it to my set... It plays great and they are a lot of different presentations.

Good Luck
JPV

I would be the buddy that he stole it from lol...In all seriousness though, the Hot Rod is awesome. It's one of the few effects that I refuse to take out of my restaurant set because of the reactions it gets. As for the Meteor Paddle, that is definitely worth a look too. I broke mine unfortunately and have yet to fix it/get a new one.

-Bill
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
Where can the meteor paddle be purchased?

Please also PM me
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The all powerful hot rod (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL