The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Tarot Cards for Gypsy Monte (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I have Paul Wilson's Knockem dead dvd and really like the gypsy monte routine. I also like the cards he uses. I know nothing about tarot cards, but I really like the ones he had. Anyone know where I can find those cards? Thanks.

-Paul
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
I believe he is using what are known as the Rider-Waite deck. You want the small size; it is not quite the size of a poker card. You can find them on the net, or sometimes book stores. I found them at a Borders book store for about $12.00. Almost bought them, but I do the effect with a regular deck instead.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Thanks for the reply. I don't know that it is a rider-waite because I am pretty sure the cards he is using on the dvd are larger than poker cards. Also, I looked into this set and the pics do not look the same.
Check here: http://www.tarot.com/about-tarot/decks/b......wdeck=23
Thanks for the help, but I think they may be something different.
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
862 Posts

Profile of magico
He did market the effect as Gypsy Monte 2003, it sells for about $15

You get the cards you need plus some extra death cards for another ending to the routine.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Have a word with Neil Lester at cardsbymartin - his are brilliant! The set you get with the marketted version are just okay but a bit plasticky and poorly printed. Make sure you get two extra 'death' cards too - and do it with a himber wallet!! Its quite fantastic! Used to be my favourite effect!
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
R P Wilson told me that they are an older set of Rider waite. I will have to check out the marketed effect. Thanks guys.

-Paul
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On 2007-05-12 09:00, paso8396 wrote:
R P Wilson told me that they are an older set of Rider waite. I will have to check out the marketed effect. Thanks guys.

-Paul

Yes they are - but a poorer quality than if you were to go and buy proper sets of RW's - but they're okay - that's all.
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
Paul -- check out a deck of Spanish Tarot cards. This is what I use and I like the exotic design.
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Roger,
I really like Gypsy Monte 2003. I've also been looking for different tarot cards. Of course, I'm looking for some obscure deck(s) Book of Thoth-Etteilla Tarot. Like you, on previous post's, I prefer a more sinister looking Death card, than the one(s) supplied. I'd like your opinion on something, from also previous post's. The Mini Himber Wallet. By using this item, does the routine still have the kick, of the killer ending, as say, some of alternate endings, that come with the package. Thanks for your time.
Jim.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
I didn´t find a demo video of the effect so I do not know the images of the cards.

As you perhaps already know I plan a Gypsy playing card deck and a (dutch) friend of mine asked for three Tarot cards with the same look and feel. So I made him the cards like this one you will see here. (Sorry, I can only include one image.)

What I am also planning is the complete production of a Tarot deck so please stay tuned. As soon as I have new information I will post it here.

Click here to view attached image.
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Jim

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. The Mini Himber, in my opinion, just adds an interesting optional finale if its going well. The finale doesn't have to be done of course but the mini himber houses the (poorer) quality cards perfectly. With a bit of shopping around, I'm sure you can find some good ones but I'm keeping my eye on what's coming out of Germany!

RK
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Roger,
Thanks. I too, am looking forward to, with great interest, in what Card Shark will be coming out with.

Jim.
atouchofmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of atouchofmagic1
Digging up an old thread here!!!

But Paul, if you or anyone is still looking I found this Swiss deck that looks very simmilar or at least the death card to that of the cards used by Mr. Wilson.

http://www.tarot.com/tarot/decks/index.php?deckID=104

Check em out...

-Bobby
M. Perk
View Profile
Loyal user
Hilton Head Island
292 Posts

Profile of M. Perk
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
My advice: don't do tricks if you don't know anything about the background of the props...
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
It *is* interesting to note that Tarot cards were popularly used to play games, just as playing cards were often used to tell fortunes.

Not crucial knowledge to performing magic tricks, however.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
That's were the name came from... the game was called tarrochi
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Quote:
On 2012-09-27 07:16, atouchofmagic1 wrote:
Digging up an old thread here!!!

But Paul, if you or anyone is still looking I found this Swiss deck that looks very simmilar or at least the death card to that of the cards used by Mr. Wilson.

http://www.tarot.com/tarot/decks/index.php?deckID=104

Check em out...

-Bobby

So that's what they are. I have this and wondered what the origin was.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Tarot Cards for Gypsy Monte (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL