The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Please Vote for a "Cardshark" reprint (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
486 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
In the next ten days or so I will have to let the printer know how many copies of Cardshark to ship directly to me. (The rest will go to the warehouse, to wholesalers, etc.) The number of paid orders will determine how many I have shipped to me. Although I’m going to get some extras, I’d rather not get stuck with a bedroom-full of books.

So, if you’ve contacted me about ordering Cardshark and have not yet paid for the book, I’d appreciate it if you could try to do so in the next week or so--particularly if you would like to have your order go out as soon as copies arrive from the printer.

If anyone would still like to pre-order an autographed copy, please send me a PM.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
rbattle
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of rbattle
Just save your money. I don't use more than 4 or 5 routines on a regular basis.

Robert
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Is there a point to that? this is a thread from people asking on for the book. I have a book shelf full of books. do I use all that material on a regular basis. heck no, that would be impossible. its about learning, some of us have things to learn from this book and certainly more then from your half a sentence post. if you feel the need to deter people you could at the very least post reason that are explanatory and valid.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
To be fair, rbattle gave us the reason for his - rather harsh - verdict. The book only contains 5 routines worth for him to perform. As this is his criteria to judge the value of the book, so be it. Guess, he already ebayed his book.

I am sure that those who buy the book will see value in more than just the amount of routines used in daily life.
Cards never lie
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:
On 2007-08-20 22:19, rbattle wrote:
Just save your money. I don't use more than 4 or 5 routines on a regular basis.

Robert

Man, I wish you'd told me that before I bought the book.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
...I think he was being ironic.

4 or 5 routines out of a single source is a "home-run". Very impressive.
Ed Mauve
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Ed Mauve
Quote:
On 2007-08-24 08:08, Waters wrote:

I was thinking of tricks but routines... ? Guess its hard to keep it in the closet since its reprinting already. Smile

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;start=0

http://www.magictalk.com/cgi-bin/reviews.cgi?read=22
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:

I was being ironic, too.

I've got pretty much all of the great books on card magic and for most of them I use maybe one effect, if any at all. It still makes them worthwhile since many of them have inspired me to create my own material, and I always enjoy reading about other people's thought processes in constructing effects. Anyone who gets five effects out of a book then dismisses the rest is crying poor mouth. That's definitely a home run, as you noted.

I've got ONE effect I do out of Roy Walton's two books. It doesn't mean there aren't other good ones. It means that they're right for you, maybe, but not me. And it doesn't mean I don't take those books down every now and again, crack them open and read through for the enjoyment and inspiration. (Walton was just a random name - I could also pick Jennings, Vernon, Cervon, etc)

ASW
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
ASW makes a very interesting point. I do pretty much the same thing. I don't necessarily perform the effects from most of my books, but I still see the value in having them. Since I phase in and phase out certain effects from my repertoire I always have the opportunity to replace them with items I may have overlooked in the past or items I wanted to perform but never found the time to do so.

That's part of the reason why I don't really part with magic books. I have some books on my shelf that I have opened up more than once and still think they aren't very beneficial, but somewhere in the back of my mind I always believe I am going to regret giving the book away.

I also agree that if you are able to get 4 or 5 routines out of a book, you have struck gold. Realistically, there really isn't going to be any book where someone is going to perform more than a couple of items from them anyway unless they are duplicating someone's act.
ME
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
486 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
A quick update. Cardshark is scheduled to ship from the printer on Tuesday. I should have them by the end of the week and will start shipping out pre-orders the following week in the order in which they were placed.

So, if anyone who ordered hasn’t paid for their copy yet, now is the time to do so. If you would still like to order, send me a PM.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
Shakey
View Profile
Veteran user
In over 4 million i've made
360 Posts

Profile of Shakey
Quote:

We should remember, its not just the routines in a book, but the small nuances we pick up on moves and routines we already know (like a spread of the cards to show a 4 card packet as red, when you know *** well theres a black card hidden in there!). Together with the thoughts and essays of authors - theres lots to discover between the covers of a book.
I'm a book lover and proud.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
[/quote]

We should remember, its not just the routines in a book, but the small nuances we pick up on moves and routines we already know (like a spread of the cards to show a 4 card packet as red, when you know *** well theres a black card hidden in there!). Together with the thoughts and essays of authors - theres lots to discover between the covers of a book.
I'm a book lover and proud.
[/quote]

Without question! Excellent point. In many books, I am less interested in the actual routines and much more inclined to read thoughts, essays and subtleties. This is where the "art" is found.

I have read and re-read all of the essays in the "Books of Wonder" (for example). I don't perform a single routine (it's not probable that I ever will), but reading Mr. Wonder's thoughts is like "stealing years". Each of those chapters has influenced me in some way. Much like reading Mr. Ortiz' "Strong Magic", anything by Eugence Burger, Derren Brown's "Pure Effect" and John Carney's "Book of Secrets". I don't peform a single effect from these books (excluding psychological techniques of Derren's), but these have been the most influential books in my "magic experience".

...your point is well taken and well said.

Sean
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
486 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
I just went to the UPS site to track the Cardshark shipment from the printer. It is scheduled to be delivered to me tomorrow. I will start mailing copies Friday in the order in which orders were received.

If anyone is still interested in ordering and hasn’t done so yet, now is the time.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
Shakey
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of Shakey
I can feel a weeks holiday from work coming on!!
jclightman
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of jclightman
At least a weeks holiday!
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
486 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Quote:
On 2007-09-13 01:38, Shakey wrote:
I can feel a weeks holiday from work coming on!!

Malc, your copy went in the mail Friday (along with a great many others). The remaining orders will be mailed Monday and Tuesday.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
Shakey
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of Shakey
Mr Ortiz - Many thanks
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
427 Posts

Profile of boinko
Has it shipped yet?
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Got mine monday, its fantasic. the first routine in there is greta and not hard. looking forward to the phantom card
Shakey
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of Shakey
Mine arrived in the UK on WEdnesday - thanks. Very gracious written note in the front cover.
Have just started 5 days off work - fantastic timing

I've said it once, but will say again - thanks 'Andy' for starting this thread
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Please Vote for a "Cardshark" reprint (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL