The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Vernon's All Backs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr Rubiks
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Mr Rubiks
I own a Dover reprint of the 1974 edition of Expert Card Technique. There is no mention of Vernon's All Backs Routine. I believe it was published in 1950 (3rd edition). Does anyone know what kind of presentation he used? Was it story patter such as Triumph?
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Rubiks,

You are correct, the 1974 Dover reprint is of the second (1944) edition of Expert Card Technique. The additional chapters by Vernon and Daley are in the third (1950) edition.

The "All Backs" appears in the added chapter by Vernon on card handling. There is no actual patter given, just a description of the effect and a very detailed description of the method and handling.

The third edition also includes a chapter credited to Dr. Jacob Daley discussing the side steal.

The third edition is scarce but available. I recently bought a copy for $45, and another was recently sold on Ebay for around $90
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Mr Rubiks
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Mr Rubiks
Does the 3rd edition describe the "Topping The Deck" top palm?
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
'Topping The Deck' is in Dai Vernon's "Select Secrets".

Hideo Kato
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Mr. Rubiks,
The Vernon chapter in the 3rd edition of ECT is entitled "A Lesson in Card Handling by Dai Vernon.

The sub-headings are:

The De Kolta Change
Tips on Changes
Multiple Card Control
Hand-to-Hand Card Transfer
The Perigrinating Pip
The All Backs
Details of Handling*
Insertion of the Cards*
*These last two items are detailed explanations referring to the "All Backs" routine

The chapter by Dr. Daley is entitled "The Side Steal and Some of its Finer Points"

The sub-headings are:

Introductory Remarks
Right Hand Side Steal
Left Hand Side Steal
Double Peek and Bilateral Side Steal
Longitudinal Side Steal and Transfer
Applied Misdirection
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Mr Rubiks
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Mr Rubiks
Thanks a lot D.

I knew that Topping the Deck was in Select Secrets, was it ever republished anywhere else? The Chronicles perhaps, or Inner Secrets?

Rubiks
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
It's not in Inner Secrets.
I don't have The Chronicles yet so I can't check.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2968 Posts

Profile of MueCard
Chronicles Volume One there is a chapter ON THE TOP PALM with reference to "Select Secrets" (see p. 57...)
Michael Landes
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Michael Landes
My recollection is that all the stuff in the added chapters to ECR of Dr. Daley and Vernon material comes from Hugards Magic Monthly. Hence these two did not contribute to the third edition in any literal sense,
Hugard already had possession of the material and simply took it upon himself to recycle it in the third edition to sweeten the pot. This is my recollection. It can certainly be checked by referring to Hugard's.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Roberto Giobbi reproduced this Vernon chapter from the 3rd edition of Expert Card Technique in his Homage to Dai Vernon manuscript. There is no story patter here, just the directions for the effect. With a little thought, you can create your own story. You might want to discuss your experience with a gentleman who gave you a deck and challenged you to perform with it...suddenly the deck no longer had faces.

Frank Garcia has a great version based on the Vernon All Backs in his book Super Subtle Card Miracles.
El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
Topping the Deck is also in Further Inner Secrets of Card Magic. Ortiz also has it in his Scams and Fantasies.

This move is one of the most beautiful, most perfect moves in all of magic, in my opinion.

As for All Backs, my feeling is that the Vernon routine is too long for modern audiences. (You are welcome to tell me the fault is with my presentation!). I've developed my own routine, stealing elements from Vernon, Jennings, Garcia and others. My presentation is for the spectator to choose a card...but it has a back on both sides. I realise I must have brought the wrong pack with me - its a misprinted pack that someone once gave me...I'm embarrassed...then say - but I'm a magician, I ought to be able to fix this.
With good handling and acting, audiences are convinced you've brought the wrong pack, so the ending is powerful.
With this sort of presentation, you don't need to repeatedly 'prove' the pack is double faced; you can establish it fairly quickly.

However, I would add that the Vernon routine is worth studying, as with all his routines, to understand his structure, his thinking, his logic, his moves.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Vernon's All Backs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL