The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Sudbury Penny (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
I wish the new log cabin penny was thinner, but otherwise it is a beautiful reproduction.
Sammy J. Teague
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-07-02 01:44, NicholasD wrote:
The Sudbury II is the better of the more recent issues, although the copper color is not quite as good as the original.

If you use a strong epoxy remover on the -Sudbury II you can get the color to a more realistic, less hyper-shiny copper color. I bought a few and experimented on them, and a couple of them look like they've been at the bottom of a well for several years!

another inage: HERE
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
BTW: the "log cabin" pennies are awesome! Just got a few and I dig 'em.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi Everyone!

Interesting. Mine is different from all of the above. The date is 1990. At the top where IN GOD WE TRUST is, it says, "WE TRUST IN GOD". On the left, where LIBERTY is, it says, "FREEDOM". Flipping the coin over, we find instead of UNITED STATES of AMERICA, it's, "UNITED STATES". At the bottom where ONE CENT is, it says, "PENNY". And finally. above the Memorial, where E PLURBIS UNUM is, it says, "COPY".

I've had this coin for years and my Johnson Expanded Dollar Shell fits it perfectly. I've only used it for the "Spellbound" effect, and it always gets great reactions.

I wonder if any of you have seen or know about this coin. I'm not sure it's a Sudbury.

Thanks!

Doug
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Doug,
I bought a couple of the new log cabin pennies recently.
Today I went to the Magicians round table here in Denver and asked if anyone had a sudbury penny. No one did, but one guy had the same coin you described.
On his, the Lincoln head looked a little wierd, but it had all the other items you mentioned.

The log cabin penny is great, except for the thickness. It seems to be twice as thick as it should be. It is pure copper and "face on" looks very real.
Sammy J. Teague
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi Everyone,

I found a small stash of original Sudbury coins. Please contact me via PM if you are interested.

Thanks,

Paul Green
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
I got my original Sudbury penny from Paul Green in the mail today.

All I can say is that I'm extremely glad that these were available. It is just what I hoped it would be!

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Fastlife
View Profile
New user
NJ / NYC
23 Posts

Profile of Fastlife
I just picked up a Sudbury Penny in very good condition on Ebay for $11.05 including shipping!
Sean-Dylan
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2012-01-05 22:48, Fastlife wrote:
I just picked up a Sudbury Penny in very good condition on Ebay for $11.05 including shipping!

Wow! I paid $50.00 each for brand new original Sudbury pennys.

Good find Fastlife!

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
IS there any other information on these pennies? I am fascinated by them.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
This is the only one I can find in the U.S. Cablerock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-1-Ounce-Cop......73d2b196

Doug
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
I just scored 2 american ones and 2 canadian ones on Ebay this week. ~10-12 each. I got one of the american ones. I'll take some pics for you guys.
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
Got my first Lincoln Sudbury penny a few days ago and I love it! A few things:

It's a bit larger than a silver dollar. Maybe ~.5-1 mm, if I had to guess. I'm going to take it to the sharpening stone for a while to get it to the exact same size.

Also, it was shiny as ever when I got it. No matter what I did, I could not get the copper to start tarnishing. I eventually took my 7 way nail buffer, and buffed part of it. Sure enough, it began tarnishing quickly after I did this. I realized that there must be some coating over the coin. It was probably wax.

For a day or two it got quite tarnished but in the grooves where I couldn't get the buffer, there would be completely shiny areas, so I just scratched those areas as I saw them with something plastic (read: soft) and little scrapings of wax would come off. Now it looks great, like an old, dull penny!

The other thing I noticed was at first the edges were almost sharp. Again I just used the nail buffer to smooth them out enough that I didn't have to worry about getting sliced.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
A true Sudbury penny will state Sudbury Canada on the tails side, below the Lincoln Memorial, and will probably be dated 1965.

Cablerock is correct that the Sudbury penny is slightly larger than a Morgan Silver Dollar.

There are other dollar sized copper penny coins out there, but they aren't Sudbury pennies.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
I got myself 3 sudbury Lincoln pennies and two Canadian ones. 3 have arrived so far, and only one (the first I got) is thinner than a Morgan by about 15% or so. The others are either the same thickness or a tiny bit thicker. They are all definitely the same thing, but it appears as though there are some differences in thickness on these as well. Good thing to note.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Quote:
On 2010-06-30 20:43, gaddy wrote:
Who could I approach to get one of those silver-dollar sized 2009 log cabin pennies turned into an expanded shell?

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

I would suggest Roy Kueppers out of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He does excellent coing and shell work. Just google his name and you will be taken to his website.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
All of my sudbury pennies that I have gotten except one are thicker than a morgan dollar. One Lincoln penny is a bit thinner, and I love it so much!
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
Sorry to everybody who isn't me about constantly posting in this particular thread. I've fallen in love with these coins, and now own 2 Lincolns (lost one apparently) and 2 Canadian pennies. I have 2 more Canadian ones on the way and I JUST won a Silvertone canadian penny? Does anybody know about these? I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Here's a picture of the one I just won of ebay: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDU1WDEwMzI=/$......0_58.JPG
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
It's possible that the silvertone one may be aluminum.
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
Quote:
On 2012-05-29 20:12, NicholasD wrote:
It's possible that the silvertone one may be aluminum.

Could be. We'll see in a few days. Eventually I'll post more info on these as I come across it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Sudbury Penny (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL