The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Betchas » » Counting on fingers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Moderncelt
View Profile
Veteran user
Twin Cities MN
343 Posts

Profile of Moderncelt
Here's a quick one to try for a drink. Ask your mark how high they can count on their fingers without repeating. Most will say 10, you might get the smart alec who says 20 (10 palms up then turn your hands over and 10 palms down). Think about it and shake your head and say that you're sure your could count at LEAST 100 times higher than that.

Would you take that bet? I hope you would.

How do you do it? Count in binary. Stick with me, I'll explain. Hold your hands out palm up and number your fingers this way. Your right thumb is "1" Right index "2" Right middle "4" right ring "8", right pinky "16", left thumb "32" left index "64", left middle"128", left ring "256", left pinky "512".

To count in binary start out extend your right thumb (1), then extend right index ONLY (2), then extend Right thumb and index (3), then right middle finger only (4), right middle finger and thumb (5), Right middle finger and index (6), Right middle finger, index and thumb (7), Right ring ONLY (8), right ring and thumb (9), right ring and index (10). Continue ad nausium. Using both hands you CAN count up to 1024. Now granted you might really EARN that drink if they make you count all the way up to 1000, so you might want to use a lower number. But you prove that it CAN be done.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Actually - the highest you count with binary on fingers is four. As soon as you get to four, you get a punch in the face.

Try it and see why....
Moderncelt
View Profile
Veteran user
Twin Cities MN
343 Posts

Profile of Moderncelt
Personally I think 132 is far better discriptive
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Sorry man ... I have 11 fingers always have had! Always will ... I bet you aev too if you count them properly!
Not htat I did not like the binary idea!
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
Using sign language, you can beat that easily.
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
984 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Ummm I think you can only count to 127, max.

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Moderncelt
View Profile
Veteran user
Twin Cities MN
343 Posts

Profile of Moderncelt
Jamie:
if you number your fingers in bianary they would be:
1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256, and 512 being your last finger. If you add all the other digits in and before you would need an eleventh finger you would total up to 1023 (1+2+4+8+16+32+64+128+256+512).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Betchas » » Counting on fingers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL