The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Reading Glasses (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
OK guys...I'm rapidly approaching 50 and the ol' eyes are starting to go. Need bright light and reading glasses. How have you other pros adapted to close-up situations with dimmer lights? When I'm doing a faro or some of my other sleights...it's nice to look at the hands, but I don't want to put on my glasses as then I can't see my audience clearly. What have you guys done?

Steven Smile
Coram Deo
nitram
View Profile
Veteran user
London U.K.
308 Posts

Profile of nitram
Try contacts?
al-fannin
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of al-fannin
Steven: I struggled with exactly the same issue. I ended up opting for lineless bifocals which didn't require correction for distant vision. After a few months of indecision, I finally started wearing them fulltime. In a few weeks they became comfortable and the problem was solved. With corrected near vision, most lighting conditions have proven to be sufficient.
Good luck.
Isramagia
View Profile
Regular user
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
114 Posts

Profile of Isramagia
Steven- I also need reading glasses and there are some routines that I must have them on. I don't think there are contacts for only reading needs (or are there?) so what I have done is look for more unusual glasses that fit my performing character. I have found non traditional colors and designs and when I need to use them I state that this next trick requires " a special touch" and I need to see this to be very clear (or something like that) and I put on the glasses. (or something like that) Smile Smile
Izzy
Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
I'm in the same boat, always had great vision until I hit the early 50's. My solution is the same as al-fannin's post above. Even though I only need them for reading, I now wear my glasses all the time.
That way you have them in place when you need them.

As a side note, they have become useful as part of an IT hook-up in performing my floating Lifesaver routine as outlined in Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Thread Miricles.

Bill Beach
Magicrma
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
101 Posts

Profile of Magicrma
I believe it was Red Skelton who said,

There comes a point in ones life where curiosity is greater than vanity.

I own a pair of contacts that work like bifocals, but I use my glasses when I work because they have become props in my closeup show. It's amazing what you can do with the misdirection of just pushing them back on your nose with your right or left hand.
You can also use them as a display/discovery area for a large number of items.(coins, cards, sponge balls, etc...)

Smile and you can see.

MagicRMA
"The art of Illusion is at least 95% applied psychology" Henning Nelms (Magic & Showmanship)
<BR>
<BR>MagicRMA
<BR>Majicrma@msn.com
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I have looked at bifocal contacts, but I've heard nothing good about them. Even my optomotrist who has been a personal friend says for what I do they just won't do the job. I should have told you that I am EXTREMELY near-sighted having worn glasses since I was 8. They are very thick and so I wear contacts every day. I do use my reading glasses when practicing...I'm just wondering about the "signal" I'm telegraphing them that I need my glasses for my next move. In any event...like everything else...I'll adapt. Smile

Steven
Coram Deo
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I think eye glasses are a part of your costume. Let's face it, we are all actors playing the part of a Magician. Find some that fit you character and wear them every time you perform.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
If you make your glasses part of your act I don't see why they cannot be a good thing!

Good for misdirection, etc.

You can take them off, hold them up and look thru them like they're dirty while you do the REAL dirty work with your other hand.

Instead of worrying about the 'card-to-forehead' falling off, you can slip the card behind your glasses.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Lloyd McDonald
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Lloyd McDonald
I was forced to use the lineless bi-focals a few years back, but sometimes they just seem uncomfortable.

Rather than resorting to a white cane or Seeing Eye dog, I found the slim line reading glasses that fit into a case a bit bigger around than a pen.

These work very well, you can wear them on the end of your nose and look distinguished.

Ain’t costumes deceiving.
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
I have the opposite problem. I am "far-sighted" (I guess) and have problems seeing at a distance. My EyeDoc had a reverse perscription made up with the corrective lens positioned in my normal field of view and the uncorrected portion of my lens where a normal bi-focal would be. Worked very well for me but I've recently started wearing small frame glasses. This way when I have to look down (at my hands) it is easy to look under my lenses.

I know this doesn't help with your question - just thought I'd throw in a different perspective!

Cheers! Smile
William Holcomb
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Reading Glasses (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL