The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » The origin of this self-working card trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shanla
View Profile
Loyal user
Japan, Tokyo
285 Posts

Profile of shanla
I am looking for the originator of an effect;
The spectator selects one card from fifteen random cards and remembers it. The card is returned to the packet and the packet is shuffled. The magician deals them to three heaps and shows each faces of the packets to the spectator. Asking the spectator which pile contains his selection, the magician compiles them with the packet that contains the selection in the center. He repeats this procedure three times. After all, he deals the cards from top one by one on the table like a carpet, keeps the selection utilizing a magician's choices and reveals it.
I know this is one of well-known mathematical card effect from many years ago, but I don't know the resources of it.
Does anyone know who is the originator of that effect?

Thanks in advance
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Takenaka-san, if you are a member of my card magic site, you can read a Gergone trick in the January issue of Card Magic Monthly. Gergone is famous with that trick. You can refer about this at the following url.

http://www.cut-the-knot.com/Curriculum/M......ic.shtml

Hideo Kato.
shanla
View Profile
Loyal user
Japan, Tokyo
285 Posts

Profile of shanla
Kato-san, Thank you for replying.
I have checked your monthly magazine and have read about Gergone trick. Reading that article, I believe Mr. Gergone is not the originator of the effect. Is the originator not obvious in the history?

By the way, Kato-san, you are right. I am a member of your web site. I am very glad to meet you here.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
This sounds like the 21-Card Trick. This is as old as the hills. If there are only 15 cards in play this must be a variation of it. More then a few people have done variations of this theme including Ed Marlo and Chris Kenner.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Quote:
In the above mentioned site, you can find the following introduction.

Rouse Ball, mentions that in 1813-1814 M. Gergonne proved a generalization that dealt with NN cards arranged in N rows of NN-1 cards each. It is always possible to combine rows in such a manner that after N replies the selected card will appear in any desired spot, not necessarily in the middle of the mid row.

I ordered Rouse Ball's book, and I believe I can report more if I can find any.

Hideo Kato

P.S.
Takenaka-san, please don't forget your renewal! (This is a joke).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » The origin of this self-working card trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL