The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » "Your" Cup Collection (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..23~24~25~26~27..40~41~42 [Next]
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Kent,

I'll give you $100 bucks cash money for those clunky old silver things you lug around! Ya know, Buddy-Pricing!

MMc
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Well, I'm finally done (for now) with all the the pictures and the captions and the uploading to photobucket, thanks to all the helpful suggestions I got right here at the Magic Café, especially from Bill Palmer. Many thanks to all of you. For a neophyte with a camera, I must say that I am not displeased with these initial results although there is, of course, room for improvement. Anyway, I've attached the link to my Photobucket website. There you will find four separate albums for (1) my micro-brass magic - these are just non-captioned group pics; (2) my chink-a-chink collection; (3) my Okito box collection and (4) my cups collection. I've put up pics of about 80 or so sets of cups in my collection (in most, but not all, cases there are two pics of each set). I've left out my chop cups (relatively few anyway) and those cups that are damaged and in need of, or already in process, of repair. If you click on the small pics in each file, a larger pic will open up with the descriptive caption. Some vintage cups are unidentified. If you have any info in this regard, it would be much appreciated.
This is the link :
http://s759.photobucket.com/albums/xx238/Fortasse56/
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You have done a lot of very good work here. I'll be back later to give you a few pieces of information.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Thanks, Bill. I PM'd you a short while ago too.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Fortasse,

Those photos turned out great! Idon't know an awful lot about Okito / Boston boxes etc but Ilove those custom engraved ones. Do you engrave them yourself?

I love your cup collection too, a few sets I have not seen before and I really like the "props" such as books and glasses etcto set off the cups. The wand with the silver centre is interesting...

Bri
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Bri :

Thanks for your comments. The "wand with the silver centre" is actually a musical conductor's baton. I have a small collection of these that I picked up on visits to antique shops in London, and off of Ebay as well. These are nearly always of ebony with hallmarked sterling silver knobs, tips and centres. The centres usually bear an inscription of some sort describing the occasion and the name of the person to whom the baton was presented, and the date (they were popular as presentation pieces early in the 20th century). In nearly all cases, it was some retiring conductor or the other who received it as a memento of his service They tell a story and that makes them interesting. They also do decent service as magic wands! That's what attracted me to them and what I use them for.

As for the custom engraved Okito boxes, these were done for me by Tom Bartlett of Tulsa who can be found right here at the Magic Café. He's quite an artist, isn't he?

Thanks for your interest.

Fortasse
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Great stuff, looks great. The photos are really very very good! I just set about photographing my own yesterday and discovered that I can't find the plate to attach the camera to my tripod. Oh well, that sets that idea back a while!
Scott
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Thany you, Scott.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Fortasse… What a great collection, I really enjoyed looking at all the photos. Besides all the Cups, I was fascinated with all the coin boxes.

I can see that it must have taken quite a while to take all the photos, thank for doing this!
Bruce
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
That's a fantastic collection, Sean - and the photos have turned out beautifully.

Love the monogrammed Okito boxes with the 'SMcW' on them!

The baton looks very much like a swagger stick - a ceremonial (usually military) baton for leading bands and/or marching. I've got one that's very similar - black with silver tip, but mine's nowhere near as nice as that one in your photos.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
After seeing Sean's collection(s) mine seems more like a small clutter!
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Iwonder Sean, you have a couple of bill tubes in your pics, would you happen to be able to help id these please?
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=115&0

Thanks,
Bri
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Thanks much to all of you for your very kind comments. I am most grateful. I am also indebted to Bill for helping to identify some of the cups whose origins were unknown to me. I will include the correct descriptions in the next "edition", whenever that is.

Bri : The best person to assist you in identifying the brass bill tubes you have is probably George Robinson at Viking Magic Manufacturing. He's a great source of information on this sort of thing. The problem with bill tubes is that they generally do not involve any sophisticated manufacturing techniques and as such are ideally suited to mass-produced cloning all over the world. Bill tubes, for example, are being mass-produced in India and China. To the untrained eye, there is little difference between theses bill tubes and those of excellent quality that have long been made by Viking Magic and, further back in time, Brema. Some of the Brema tubes were monogrammed ("CBS" for Carl Brema & Son). The Viking tubes bear the VM symbol as well but except where you have such hallmarks it can be awfully difficult to tell one bill tube from another. But ask George. He's bound to have some useful insights into the origins of your bill tubes.

Fortasse
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Those Okito boxes are wonderful. So are the Chink-A-Chinks.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Fortasse,
Thank you for the info on the Bill tunes, I will mail George.
Kindest,
Bri
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Nice pics Fortasse, nice props too!

That is a lot of work there, thank you for sharing it with us.

Tom
"But there isn't a door"
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Thanks, Tom.
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Fortasse

What a wonderful collection! Thanks so much for taking the time to photograph and caption all of them. I could spend hours looking at photos like those.

Best,

dc
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
NW Ont Canada
540 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
Thanks Fortasse,

I have also really enjoyed looking at your collection.

This has inspired me to develop an improved way of displaying my cluttered collection on the cabinet.

Eric
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Smile
If only there was a smiley that had eyes popping out of its head...
Great looking collection, organized, labelled & photographed great.
Thanks a ton for sharing it here.
Don
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » "Your" Cup Collection (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..23~24~25~26~27..40~41~42 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL