The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » I'm starting to lose interest in the IBM. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
It’s going on 18 years now and I just feel like…oh, I don’t know. Just don’t seem to be into it right now, just general dismay. Did I make a wrong choice about joining the IBM as apposed to the SAM?

I mean what is it all really about? There’s lots of fighting, politics, jealousy, backstabbing and pettiness. The convention feels too big and crammed with so much that it’s really hard to just enjoy everything and enjoy the pace. The close-up contest and shows get swallowed up in the enormity of the crowd packed into the room. I know it feels like I’m just moaning, but I do wonder if I’m still as into it as when I first joined. I thought I would stay for the long run, but now I just feel like letting this year end and then bail…

I don’t know…just a little tired, I think?

you know how I feel?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Having just come back from the SAM convention in Dallas, I can tell you all magic conventions tend to be too full and too fast, just the nature of the game. In order to appeal to the broadest audience they book a lot of lectures, and since there are multiple areas of speciality to compete in in competition, the competition shows are always busy and packed. But there is a lot to learn, a lot of friends to make and catch up with. SAM and IBM aren't that much different. I'm a member of both, but I do sympathize with you over being tired after a convention, generally takes me several days to recover be it WMS, IBM, SAM, or TAOM or any other convention.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
MagicianSilver
View Profile
New user
Lynden, Washington
50 Posts

Profile of MagicianSilver
Tired?? Boy do I know how you feel. I went to both conventions this year back to back. Both were great for different reasons and the same. I sort of look at the convention like going on a cruise. I could try to do everything, but I would knock my self out trying to do so. I usually pick the lectures that I feel are a must see, attend all the shows, and best of all, hang with my magical friends, that I have met along the way. The conventions, like books, performing,and training, are the sources of inspiration that fuels my passion. Passion with out ongoing inspiration, is difficult to maintain. You might identify what you expect to get out of a convention, and then choose the events that will meet those expectations. Maybe I will feel different after 18 years, I hope not!! I am currently in Florence Oregon kyaking, fishing and just getting a little R & R. I certainly didn't get any rest at the convention! Take care Justin,
Sterling

p.s. That Photius fellow above, always has good advice, and insight.
"If you're not living on the edge. Then you are taking up too much space.
www.MagicSterling.com
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Thanks Guys! Good advice from both, I appreciate it!
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I dislike the big conventions as they are too impersonal and crowded. Instead I favour small regional conventions that only attract a few hundred folk. The competition shows are much shorter the lectures more intimate and you can actually meet and talk to the talent. In fact the last one I attended had a better talent line up than most of the major conventions I've been to.
If you're feeling burned out pull back for a while and go to the local get togethers.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
My two favorites:

Hank Lee's Cape Cod Conclave. Been there more than 12 times.

Fechter's Finger Flicking Frolic. Been there 5 times.
Terry Richison
View Profile
New user
St Louis, MO
5 Posts

Profile of Terry Richison
Justin,
After attending a big convention, I find a little "magic burn out". It is understandable. Try some of the smaller conventions. I always go to the Midwest Magic Jubilee in St Louis, MO. It is a very friendly and close convention with something for everyone. http://www.mmjubilee.com. Do you belong to a Ring? Conventions are great but your local rings needs to be filling the gaps of what you desire to see and learn. If not, maybe you can PM me and I can try to help get somethings going for you.
Terry
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Payne and Terry, I like both your ideas! Thanks.
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
While I usually cringe when I see Payne's avatar,(He is blunt and to the point) he always has a way of making a great point. Like any thing you do for the long run you will ebbs and flows in the interest level. These are the times when you are changing as a person and then as a performer. Payne and Terry are dead on the point about drawing back from the large crowd so you can clearify and refocus.
I do suggest the smaller conventions as a way to connect with others and with some of the talent that is working that circuit. We would love to have you join us for ours here in DC. Last year was good event and every one got a chance to get in and have some fun.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
All great ideas, but how about nixing the conventions, large or small, for a bit? Just hang out with those you know and focus on the local magic scene. Take a break from the larger stuff.

You can still be involved in magic, the conventions will still be there and then when you start to gain more interest, jump back in.

Everyone needs a break now and then. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Mark. Smile
Patriot
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Patriot
I've always found the large conventions to be intimidating to the extreme. I'm no great magical talent and I'm content with that. My talent lies in making people laugh and magic is merely one of many tools for accomplishing this. Being around so many who take magic so deathly serious leaves me feeling very out of place.

Our home Ring, on the other hand, is very supportive of all levels and personal objectives in magic. It's a place to gather, share thoughts, socialize with close friends and expand our personal performance horizons. I've never once felt intimidated or out of place with this local Ring and for that I am extremely grateful.

At the same time, your local Ring, Assembly or Chapter reflects the effort YOU put into it...not the officers, not the clique leaders, not the prominent members. If your Ring fails to excite and motivate you, look in the mirror and ask what you can do to actively improve things...then act. Being a member of both organizations, I can tell you that the grass grows no greener on the SAM side of the fence without your strongest personal effort.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
The thrill is gone. That's all I can say.
tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
443 Posts

Profile of tpax
Quote:
On 2007-08-03 11:07, Justin Style wrote:

Sounds like a mid-life crises Justin! This happens to most of us at different stages in our life. A desire for change is usually a part of this. Some change jobs, careers, others get a red sports car and a new, young wife! And others just remain confused. I tried the career change once, (I like my wife and too tall for a sports car!), realized I missed my old profession, went back to doing what I was good at with a greater sense of purpose. But I'll still thinking about the "Thrill" being gone, and will it ever return.
Good luck in the decisions you make!
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2007-08-04 17:01, tpax wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-08-03 11:07, Justin Style wrote:

Sounds like a mid-life crises Justin! This happens to most of us at different stages in our life. A desire for change is usually a part of this. Some change jobs, careers, others get a red sports car and a new, young wife! And others just remain confused. I tried the career change once, (I like my wife and too tall for a sports car!), realized I missed my old profession, went back to doing what I was good at with a greater sense of purpose. But I'll still thinking about the "Thrill" being gone, and will it ever return.
Good luck in the decisions you make!

Thanks Tpax!

Good advice. I have been shopping for a new Harley lately...lol Now you're making me rethink. I now what you're saying about the sports car - me to tall too.

Justin
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Did you think about joining your local IBM ring?
The NY Ring meets twice a month and one of them is a terrific workshop lab run by close-up expert Doug Edwards.
I can't speak for the NJ Rings.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » I'm starting to lose interest in the IBM. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL