The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Visual magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
YangPyeong, South Korea
2724 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2010-05-21 19:56, Lawrence O wrote:
It seems to me that under Whit's definition every trick falls under the visual magic category.

Most versions of the 21 card trick have the same visual aspects which meet the criterion proposed by Whit.

He's talking about witnessing the effect itself, not just the result of the effect.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15099 Posts

Profile of tommy
? Things happen called causes and what happens as a result are called effects.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1314 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
Many of our illusions are never intended to be perceived by the audience. They are illusions of normalcy that occur between the initial condition, and the final condition that we call the effect. The more distant the illusion from the final condition, the less visual the magic.

In the case of what we call visual magic (I submit), significant amount of illusion is used quite close too, or even coincidental with the final condition, i.e., the perceived effect. I think this proximity of illusion to effect is the defining charcteristic of visual magic.
Michael Kamen
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6408 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Apparently, my definition of "visual" is just a wee bit different than most of those posting above! The one exception is Whit Haydn's two posts.

To me, if the effect happens out of sight, in a tube, box, or bag, etc., it's not visual. If the effect happens totally in view, it's visual.

Someone above said that one could not do a show with all visual effects! Well, I did, for 50 years. MOST of my show is/was visual effects.

The TipCee (hydrostatic) Bottle is/was strong enough to close my high school program. I used tricks like the Serpentine Silk, Silk thru Mike Stand, Grant's One Two One Rope, Ovette's Repeat Knots, Percy Abbott's Perpetual Ball, Bill Williston's Ball Penetration Thru Silk, Karrell Fox's Ball 0 Matic, Color Change Silk Thru Hand, Hull's Elusive Silk Vanish, 20th Century Silk, Needle Penetration of Inflated Balloon, Jastrow Area Illusion (the boomerangs) Linking Rings

Other tricks are "semi" visual. E.g.: Misers Dream. (Misers Dream is partly visual, and partly aural.)

I even did a tactile illusion, with no props, and the audience did it themselves.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6408 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
P.S.

I forgot to mention the Professor's Nightmare, my YOYO (really a juggling bit, not magic) and, Fresh Fish Sold Here Today. The Lazy Magician, and the Paper Tear to Hat were used to help pad the 45 minute assembly show, for occasional evening 60 minute family shows.

I did the Mardo/Sterling Egg Bag, but, don't consider it a visual, because the egg disappears from inside the bag. I did paper balls over the kid's head, and, a brief sponge ball routine, in high schools, in place of the egg bag.

Oh! the G.W. Hunter shoelace knot, was part of the rope routine!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2539 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2007, peppermeat2000 wrote:
So...besides mentalism,are their magical effects that we can classify as not being visual or capable of getting an audiences attention? The performer I was referencing was David Stone. In his DVD he performed over 20 effects which from a laymens perception(as well as a magicians) would all be considered as visual and attention grabbing effects...but isn't that what we want all of our magic to be? Why open with a "bang" and then choose effects to follow that fall into what we would consider "non-opener" material? Wouldnt this be short changing our audience? As far a Kreggs question..does the audience want to see it...how are we to get the information from our audience as far as what it is they want to see? And if we find out what it is that they want to see and discover its not in our performance array,then what???Should I assume that just because the audience last week who I performed for was dazzeled by a coin matrix that this weeks crowd will be delighted by the same routine? I know this may sound like a wise-a^% response but it is becoming difficult for me to undersatnd some of the magicians logic that we encounter at lectures,see in DVD's,and hear at magic club gatherings. Anxious to hear the thoughts of the Café members who have some insight on this topic...

I would imagine, putting something (someone) in a box, closing it, opening it to show a change would NOT be considered "visual."

Before anyone brings up "Metamorphoses," the "visual" nature of that trick is increased by the lack of time the person on top of the box is behind the curtain. Doug Henning made it a much more visible trick by cutting down the time, the Pendragons made it even more so by making it appear there IS no time behind the curtain. (Toss the curtain up, rip the curtain apart in a split second.)
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6408 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I agree, Ed! I met Doug when he was in his late teens. We corresponded. For about five years we would meet at Abbott's Get Together. Denny Loomis, Gene Anderson, Karrell Fox, et al, would stay with Jerry Conklin, and we had "our own little convention".

Doug really understood how to make his presentation, dramatic! TEMPO, TIMING, & TIME! Doug had done the sub trunk for a "few" years, before, he was "discovered"!

Being young and athletic, his TIMING, IMO, too, really made the trick "seem more visible"! ("It aint WHAT ya do, it' HOW ya do it!")

Ditto, the Pendragons!

The EFFECT is what the spectator(s) PERCEIVE! (The spectator's experience, intelligence and, IMAGINATION, are all combined to create his/their PERCEPTION! Therefore, everyone in the audience, perceives a "different" show!

Truly, the "magic" is in the spectator(s) mind(s)!!!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2539 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Legend is that he got the girl from "The Magic Show" in rehearsal studio with the Sub Trunk and said; "You're going to hate me. We're going to do this so often, you're going to hate it AND me for putting you through it. But it's going to be worth it when you see the effect on the audience!"

I think it's interesting that Houdini and the Pendragons have the magician in the trunk and switch places with the assistant on top. DOUG had the assistant in the trunk and switch places with HIM standing on the trunk.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26392 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Dale Soules might have stories to tell: http://t2conline.com/no-longer-a-lion-ta......d-award/

Not sure that item, or the Mismade Woman are as visual as the Sword Suspension. She was the assistant for those items in that show.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6408 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
Apparently, my definition of "visual" is just a wee bit different than most of those posting above! The one exception is Whit Haydn's two posts.

To me, if the effect happens out of sight, in a tube, box, or bag, etc., it's not visual. If the effect happens totally in view, it's visual.

Someone above said that one could not do a show with all visual effects! Well, I did, for 50 years. MOST of my show is/was visual effects.

The TipCee (hydrostatic) Bottle is/was strong enough to close my high school program. I used tricks like the Serpentine Silk, Silk thru Mike Stand, Grant's One Two One Rope, Ovette's Repeat Knots, Percy Abbott's Perpetual Ball, Bill Williston's Ball Penetration Thru Silk, Karrell Fox's Ball 0 Matic, Color Change Silk Thru Hand, Hull's Elusive Silk Vanish, 20th Century Silk, Needle Penetration of Inflated Balloon, Jastrow Area Illusion (the boomerangs) Linking Rings

Other tricks are "semi" visual. E.g.: Misers Dream. (Misers Dream is partly visual, and partly aural.)

I even did a tactile illusion, with no props, and the audience did it themselves.

So, I would not consider the Stack of Boxes to be VISUAL. --The trick "happens" inside of boxes.

Almost any levitation would need to be VISUAL. (Even ASRAH, could qualify, as the spectators "perceive" what they think is a person, floating. Then that "person" disappears! I suppose that it could be argued that they do not see a person, floating, and, a person disappearing.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6408 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
P.S.

I forgot to mention the Professor's Nightmare, my YOYO (really a juggling bit, not magic) and, Fresh Fish Sold Here Today. The Lazy Magician, and the Paper Tear to Hat were used to help pad the 45 minute assembly show, for occasional evening 60 minute family shows.

I did the Mardo/Sterling Egg Bag, but, don't consider it a visual, because the egg disappears from inside the bag. I did paper balls over the kid's head, and, a brief sponge ball routine, in high schools, in place of the egg bag.

Oh! the G.W. Hunter shoelace knot, was part of the rope routine!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6408 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'll retype the final two paragraphs of my reply to Ed Rhodes' post above.

The EFFECT is what the spectator(s) perceive.

The spectator(s) experience, intelligence, and imagination, are all combined to create his/her/their perception.

Therefore, everyone in the audience perceives a different show.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Visual magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL