The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Which Flipper Coin to get?? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Gerald,
Since you read the thread, good quality flippers do open flat on a table or a mat. There are other aspects to this like the remilling of the edge of the insert but this is secondary especially if you work standing. The flat opening on a flat surface or in the hands however is not secondary.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Bob's flipper coin from JB magic lies completely flat and the cut is seamless.... for the money, I say its the best bet.

-DJ

but I think everyone knew that already Smile
Ocha
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Ocha
I have been reading the thread, but like some have suggested I thought I'd start with the less expensive coin and work towards the higher quality coin.
As suggested by Bill Lhotta I'm going to use a slightly larger rubber band so the Johnson flipper behaves like a gravity flipper. I feel this will give me a good base to practice with and see what routines I'd like to perform and come up with. It's true I've never had or touched a flipper coin before, but that doesn't mean I'm new to coins. I first became interested in magic about 30 years ago, I started with coins, I've had folding coins, expanded shells, and copper/silver coins. Mostly I did pure slight of hand. When I take the plunge (already saving ) I think I'll get the Schoolcraft Walking liberty Gravity Flipper. I assume that if I get a walking liberty expanded shell that it would fit over the flipper, so that will be my next purchase (after the Flipper). For right now though I still have my Copper silver Kennedy half/English penny and I believe I may still have an expanded shell so this flipper isn't a waste by a long shot. I may even sell the above coins to fund my purchase in the near future. But I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the Schoolcraft Gravity flipper. Any advice on best routines or DVD's or Books would be welcome Too.

Thanks,

Gerald
I was Me but now He is gone.......
Ocha
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Ocha
As expected I went ahead and purchased a Schoolcraft Walking Liberty half dollar Gravity flipper. I got an email that turnaround will be between two and four weeks.
I can't wait for it to arrive, untill then I'll be practicing with my modified Johnson Flipper.

Thanks all,

Gerald
Ocha
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Ocha
I just got my Johnson Flipper and changed the Rubber Band to the one suggested by Bill Lhotta. Let me tell you, this is great! I haven't received my Schoolcraft yet
but this flipper now behaves exactly like the gravity flippers appear to in all the videos I've seen. If you have a Johnson Flipper don't hesitate to try this, it really works great! Thanks Bill Lhotta, and all who post here on the Café.

Sincerely,

Gerald
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Speaking rubber band, for frequent performers, when the rubber breaks you are in trouble.
Thus I found it wiser to cut long thin balloons to rubber band shape with scissors and place three of them as a replacement to one single orthodontist rubber band. Whatever Flipper coin you are using.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Ocha
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Ocha
Lawrence,

Thank you for that idea too I'll be trying that next, there really is some great information to be gained here on the Caf'e for those willing to listen. I'm listening!....... Smile

Gerald
mitchmarkl
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of mitchmarkl
Quote:
On 2009-04-03 09:04, Lawrence O wrote:
Speaking rubber band, for frequent performers, when the rubber breaks you are in trouble.
Thus I found it wiser to cut long thin balloons to rubber band shape with scissors and place three of them as a replacement to one single orthodontist rubber band. Whatever Flipper coin you are using.

Does this work if you have a flipper with an outside groove?
Ocha
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Ocha
Mitchmarkl, Yes this does work, infact it works great. Give it a try, you will like it.

Gerald
mitchmarkl
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of mitchmarkl
Thanks Gerald, I will.
Ocha
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Ocha
I just got my Schoolcraft Walking Liberty Gravity Flipper and I'm EXTREMELY Pleased and very impressed with the workmanship. The coin looks great, you can't see the split, and it works flawlessly. I'm so glad I decided on Schoolcraft, the price was right and the quality is exceptional. If you are considering a Gravity flipper My recommendation is Schoolcraft!
Smile
Thanks,

Gerald
Bungee
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Bungee
Ocha,

Glad to hear you got yours. I received mine a few weeks ago and was ultra-impressed with the craftsmanship of this coin. It has opened up a whole new world of coins across.

Enjoy!
reelin123
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of reelin123
Hi
So how does the jb WL half dollar flipper and shells compare to the johnsons???
Coin Nut
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Coin Nut
Another recommendation for the Schoolcraft from me - lovely work.
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
494 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
I also recommend the Schoolcraft Flipper. It is well made, durable and easy to fix if the rubber band breaks. Dean uses a Schoolraft Flipper and does wonders with it.
I use a Walking Liberty SC Flipper and have had great luck with it.

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
While you are looking at the schoolcraft WL flipper and expanded shell, take a look at the OXF.
Just sayin'.

On Lawrence O's idea, it seems to me that I remember Sean Giles posting on another topic that he was able to find silver colored baloons and that he had been using them for about a year with no problems in his flipper.
arizona
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of arizona
My magnetic Tango half works for me. Honeslty no one suspects that its gimmicked. When closed its very hard to tell which is all that matters to me. Its funny I can get it to lie flat and close when tossed or need for it to close easily. So I really don't get this Gravity option. Im happy with it because its magnetic also which comes in handy when I need a magnetic half.
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Arizona, for me, the bonus of the "gravity" aspect is that the flipper opens very naturally [with cover, of course]. Once you get the handling down, it's one of the most beautiful gaffs out there.
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
587 Posts

Profile of Motor City
Quote:
On 2010-05-27 00:10, arizona wrote:
My magnetic Tango half works for me. Honeslty no one suspects that its gimmicked. When closed its very hard to tell which is all that matters to me. Its funny I can get it to lie flat and close when tossed or need for it to close easily. So I really don't get this Gravity option. Im happy with it because its magnetic also which comes in handy when I need a magnetic half.

If you use a gravity flipper it opens easily which is an asset in certain routines.
the guy on the couch
View Profile
New user
Northern VA.
20 Posts

Profile of the guy on the couch
Is schoolcraft still making coins?
I emailed him a few weeks ago and havent heard a thing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Which Flipper Coin to get?? (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL