The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » James Brown Workeroo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
afuoco
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
193 Posts

Profile of afuoco
A whole deck if it's cased or rubber banded is easy because it's has the proper weight and it's thin enough. A loose deck is possible but without a lot of work it's unreliable--one or two cards may get hung-up. This tool is like any other--it depends on how much work you want to put in. I just feel for certain light-weight or large objects it's better to use cargo pockets, a Topit, or sleeving for ditching.
Arnie
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I plan on using this for 'card/coin to pocket' and as a utility to cleanly clean up when I would normally be left dirty. I think it should work perfectly, I'm waiting for my seamstress to get back in town!!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4616 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
When I first received my Workeroo, I had that awful feeling of "oh, no, please don't let this be one of those items that sits unused and I never even get around to fitting it!" So, priority number one was to have the Workeroo fitted to my dress suit pants. A local professional seamstress had it for a week before she told me it was "too complicated", and refused to do the work. Well, a good friend has just come by and fitted it for me, and it took her several hours, as it required mostly hand-stitching. But actually, she found it very straightforward, though "fiddly".
So first off, a criticism, I think the fitting instructions should be provided on paper, not on a CD ROM, and perhaps even more explanation would be helpful.
BUT.....now it's fitted, here's my opinion:
It seems weird at first, your pants are a little awkward to put on, though the Workeroo has been designed perfectly to allow you to wear your pants normally, and to use your fly as usual. Dropping your pants is slightly more awkward, though nothing to really worry about. But once you've put them on, and are wearing your pants with the Workeroo, you really look and feel as if you're wearing your normal pants.
The beauty of this device is that you can really clean up pretty much ANYTHING! Really, it's the 21st Century Topit! And unlike the Topit, once you've vanished something, you can immediately retrieve it from you pocket - obviously, or craftily. I wanted to clean up after David Roth's "Coins Across", and I tried it on my friend who had just fitted the Workeroo. She was amazed, and saw NOTHING! My first try-out with it! When I showed her that I'd dropped a "coin" down into the Workeroo, she couldn't believe it! And that's the woman who actually knew exactly what I have down my pants...er...well....you know what I mean!
I think the installation is important, you don't want any ruching, bunching, or stitching to show on the outside of your pants. But that's easily possible. Using the Workeroo is about as simple as it gets. If you think of the principle of the Topit, imagine how much easier it is when the Topit is right in front of you! I've used the Topit quite a bit in the past, and no doubt it's awesome, and of course, you can vanish even large objects like a ketchup bottle in it. The Workeroo can't quite manage that, but I plan to try it out with a Cellphone, and I think that will be easy!
Though I don't yet have much experience with it, my first impressions are extremely positive. Yet again, this fantastic forum has brought to my attention an item which I would probably never have heard of, let alone considered buying. I have a close-up gig this weekend, and will report back how the Workeroo performed...already, I have a great feeling about it.....I think this is likely to become a serious tool for the serious magician - or even a simple tool for the simple magician!
Potty Smile
Sreidy
View Profile
New user
Australia
91 Posts

Profile of Sreidy
Perhaps we could share some insights/ideas etc to use with this. I have had mine on for a few days just playing around and have come up with a few corkers!! Its amazing what you can come up with using everyday items. Over the weekend I test drove an impromptu effect using a coin and a mobile phone camera function. So many possibilities! I'm even thinking of a handling of Tommy's RWW that could be done with this.

Any other ideas that anyone would like to post/share?
Bryce
View Profile
New user
Oxon, UK
89 Posts

Profile of Bryce
I am fairly skinny in build and would like to know how much bulk is added when you wear the workeroo. I don't want to look as thought I am expecting, if you know what I mean!
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Hi Bryce, no one would ever notice a thing Smile
Bryce
View Profile
New user
Oxon, UK
89 Posts

Profile of Bryce
Even on a skinny runt like me?
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3188 Posts

Profile of takeachance
I emailed James a couple of days ago and he told me these were on hold as he was having trouble getting them made. If you want one send him an email so he knows the demand is there
Sreidy
View Profile
New user
Australia
91 Posts

Profile of Sreidy
Hi Bryce

No need to worry or concern yourself with this. It is user friendly and moldable. In fact, I will be ordering a couple more for alternate attire. Currently using it in casual cargos at the mo which have been slightly altered.
Installing one in a pair of modified jeans and pants is next on the list.
Damian Surr
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
206 Posts

Profile of Damian Surr
This may be a stupid question, but can a gap be seen in your trousers when you're standing up surrounded? I assume a gap would be invisible if people are sat down, but wouldn't something be seen when they're standing? Especially if you were wearing, say, a white shirt and light trousers. Or maybe my assumptions about the gimmick are wrong.

Also, can this be used with a jacket on or just without?
Actually forget that second question. I'm sure the answer just that it can be used with a jacket but it's not as easy.

Very interested in this as I'm about to put topits in a couple of new suits.

Damian
www.gingermagic.com

iPhone magic apps:
www.CardNowApp.com - iPhone Business Card Magic App
www.armindreader.com – Augmented Reality Magic App
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
724 Posts

Profile of ftlum
No gap is seen with mine. It doesn't matter if you've got a jacket on or not.

Unless thing have changed recently, however, I don't think the Workeroo is available. The last I heard, Mr. Brown was looking for someone else to do the manufacturing.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Damian Surr
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
206 Posts

Profile of Damian Surr
Yes, James replied to an email this morning saying that he plans to come back to it in the new year. Shame, I was getting excited about Workeroo for a minute. Back to the topit for now. Off to the tailors tomorrow.
www.gingermagic.com

iPhone magic apps:
flekka
View Profile
Regular user
wirral, england,
185 Posts

Profile of flekka
Damien, Have you looked into "Silent Butler" by Precision Magic..as a alternative.
what you achieve in life echo's for eternety
Damian Surr
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
206 Posts

Profile of Damian Surr
I guess the problem with all these things is that you want to know what you're getting before you buy it. I don't know exactly what James' version was like and I don't know what Silent Butler is like. I do know that several comments have said that James' was the best, and I don't really want to buy second best.
www.gingermagic.com

iPhone magic apps:
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
724 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Don't know about the Silent Butler (sounds interesting), but I really like the Workeroo. I was trying to make a belly savant for years after reading Books of Wonder and seeing Ander's take on it with Direct Link. I never figured out how to hide the gap and keep the servant stable the way I was doing things... but the Workeroo addressed these problems beautifully.

The only downside was that it was not easy to install. Admittedly, I was putting them in some unique pants-- it has a hidden elastic area which allows you pull them out a bit. I ended up ruining a couple pairs before I got it right. Originally I took it to a seamstress, but she had no idea what I was trying to do and really messed things up as well. Putting bias binding on with a sewing machine (I learned a lot by doing things myself) wasn't easy, but if you're not picky about the sewing, it's not too hard.

Hopefully it'll come back on the market again soon.

- Frank
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On 2008-10-16 15:54, Damian Surr wrote:
I guess the problem with all these things is that you want to know what you're getting before you buy it. I don't know exactly what James' version was like and I don't know what Silent Butler is like. I do know that several comments have said that James' was the best, and I don't really want to buy second best.

The Silent Butler isn't out yet, so how can it be 2nd best? The Silent Butler does have more options than the Workeroo and it's cheaper. It should start shipping in a week or two, so I'd wait to check out the reviews. I have the Workeroo, so I will be able to give a fair review of both products.
Damian Surr
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
206 Posts

Profile of Damian Surr
Excuse me for jumping to conclusions then. I thought the Workeroo has been compared to everything and considered (by most) to be the best, but didn't realise that Silent Butler wasn't out yet. I'll look forward to reading some comparisons!
www.gingermagic.com

iPhone magic apps:
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1018 Posts

Profile of taller8
The Silent Butler does sound intriguing. The easy installation is inviting.
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
James Browns Workeroo is a Teriffic Product and I would recommend it to anyone who is serious about their magic. An invaluable tool.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » James Brown Workeroo (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL