The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Elevator, A review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
lawrenceng
View Profile
New user
Calgary
84 Posts

Profile of lawrenceng
Got mine a few days back, decided to hold off the steam and put it through a couple of runs before writing a review, had a feeling you guys might want something more objective instead of hyperbole ravings. Here goes:

The packaging: It came well packed in a box, comes w/ the instructions, the gimmick and a CD containing the video instructions, credits, and the high res version we have all seen on the web.

The gimmick: It is well made, so far, in my handling of the gimmick, it has inspired confidence and gives the impression of long lasting durability. Peter is true to his word on having only good quality material used in his products, kudos to that. 5/5
The instructions: Not only does the instructions come w/ details on the basic routine, it gives different presentation ideas, plus hints on how to maximize your angles, starting out and accomplishing the levitation w/ the help of spectators and practise tips. 5/5
The CD: The video instruction basically shows what was being described in the hardcopy instructions, with a brief mentioning on how to do the levitation without squatting down to touch the feet. The video demo is a better version of the web version. 4/5

Overall: I have been practicing this levitation for the last few days, and the more I experiment w/ it, the better it gets. It has all the misdirection built into the right places, and also allows you instantaneous outs when the needs arise. The mid-air rotation that is such a powerful visual display, would take some time to master, but Peter has provided a method which makes it simpler, involving the help of a spectator or two. I am still not confident enough to have spectators too close to me, so I will hold out on that one for the time being.
Mr. Fitzkee would have been proud--allow me this single hyperbole.
I gave 4/5 for the video instructions because the method that Peter suggests for not having to squat down was only mentioned briefly, and would have to be worked on quite a bit by anyone who might be interested in trying it. A more explicit explanation and demo would definitely have satisfied even the most critical. However, after viewing the basic routine given, I feel the misdirection built into the basic routine allows you to fool the spectator completely, ie: it is very unlikely the spectator would suspect your squatting down has anything fishy to do w/ it. Therefore, I gladly would have this product out earlier than having to wait for Peter to go through the extra video editing, etc., just to show the no squat method.

Value for money: This product should definitely be sold at a much higher price. The current price reflects the actual cost of the material (Peter states that part of the gimmick was customed designed and made, in addition to the human labour involved in the actual assembly) with (in my humble opinion) a low cost built into it for intellectual property. It is my sincere wish, and also Peter's (as noted in his instructions) that this effect be protected as much as possible from the masked magician.

Congratulations to Peter. This has been one of the few effects which has not been disappointing in terms of advertised expectations, and value for money. It does what it says it does. Period.

Smile
thanks y'all
lawrenceng
Cyclone
View Profile
New user
USA
52 Posts

Profile of Cyclone
Well, glad you like it man.

One more note.

The video does teach you how to levitate without bending down and touching your feet.

However, you need to set it up in advance which REQUIRES you to bend down.

It's a shame since I thought the device would levitate you.
I'm Your Daddy
JasonDean
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of JasonDean
We all should be careful on describing the effect so that we might not expose to much of how this works. I'm sure many of you will agree!
Cyclone
View Profile
New user
USA
52 Posts

Profile of Cyclone
Another thing.

The part where it says that you can show both your feet free of any device before the trick will require you to bend down wether you like it or not.

You can't just walk in front of someone and levitate straight up. You must bend down in order to do the set up.
I'm Your Daddy
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
I received The Elevator today. It's GREAT. Simple but elegant solution that will undoubtedly be a HUGE hit. I'll be floating around most of today.

Lawrence did a great job reviewing this and said most of what needs to be said.

Congratulations Peter. Superb job.

Tim Trono
brownbeauty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of brownbeauty
Great Job Peter!

The Elevator arrived today! I am very pleased!! 200lbs. and I float like a butterfly!

Thanks,

Rudy
Mr. Bunkley
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bunkley
Hello,

A question I still have is under what situations do you think the effect should/could be done? Is it the kind of thing that is best used in a "social" situation or street kind of show? Or do you think it packs enough power to be added to an actual "show"?

Assuming it is strong enough to be a "show" piece...on a stage? In a house? Outside? What criteria would the show have to meet in order for this effect to be performed (if that makes sense - ha!)?

I'm thrilled that the reviews are positive. This restores my faith in dealers.

Thank you and Congrats to Peter,

Chex in da mail,
Daniel
dbull@austin.rr.com
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
It's comments like these that made the many weeks of hard work all worth it in the end.

It's comments like these that add to the motivation for releasing my new creations to the rest of the magic community.

Thanks guys.

P. Smile
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Very good review Lawrence. Glad it is everything Peter said it is.
Congratulations, Peter, on your Elevator. Smile Smile Smile
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Thanks Gerry,

You should have yours by Monday!

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1357 Posts

Profile of bekralik
>It's a shame since I thought the device
>would levitate you.

There is no such device in the natural world.

I wasn't expecting a force field or anything like that, so I wasn't disappointed. I think Peter's solution is logical, simple, and a definite value-added investment.

Brian
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
What of the claim that a method is included to do the effect on a stage is provided?
Is it possible and something that would be attemtped.
OR
Possible but not really practical to attempt. (Meaning too many conditions would apply to make it practical to attempt on stage with people sitting in line with your feet at eye level.)
FTAMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of FTAMagician
WOW...mixed emotions and time!!! I just got home from a 5 hour clown 'n magic gig to find the Elevator here! But the ARCA 200 race is due on from Daytona in less than 15 min (I used to race with them!) so I get to watch the race and open the Elevator at the same time! Magic**********;)
Will post my thoughts on it...and read the ones that were posted during my 5 hour gig later!!!
***, still *wish* I was getting strapped into a race car at Daytona right now!!
Well, let's see them drive a race car blindfolded! A major stunt I plan to do later this year!! And maybe "levitate" on pit road before the stunt, too!!!! **smiles**
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Peter , received my elevator and watched your cd instructional video. Looks great, can't wait to practice it to try it out as quick as possible. Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Well, received my Elevator today. It was what I expected. The only thing that immediately stood out is how well it was constructed.

I didn't read the manual or the look at the CD. I watched the Elevator so many times on the Internet I just duplicated the moves in front of my 9 year old son (First time). He screamed "WOW Dad's Floating!". As I landed he ran in the back to see how I did it and I pulled up my pant legs and he was stunned. The gimmick was in full view but he was so focused on my feet he didn't see it.

Well, my critic loved it and I have to commend Peter for a fine product. Boy, will I have fun with this!

Thanks Peter!
Dennis Michael
XenoMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Where Am I?
112 Posts

Profile of XenoMagic
My wife (my toughest critic) had a similar reaction... a loud WOW!! And she even knew I had gotten a new levitation in the mail (although I did take some time to practice first).

My review is in the other Elevator topic (the long one), but suffice it to say... I'm totally 100% pleased with it!

Thanks again Peter!

Leo Martin
"Watch closely and you'll see that my fingers never leave my hands"
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Leo Martin
<BR><BR>[email]Me@PlanetLeo.com[/email]
Backpalmking
View Profile
New user
Kent,UK
16 Posts

Profile of Backpalmking
My oh my, what a fanstastic thread.

Any more reviews or comments??

This sure sounds like an interesting product.

One question:

Realistically, would you be able to wear the gimmick all day without it annoying you??

Thanks

Gary
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Yes, you could, but there is need to. It is well thought out and is the best to come out that I have seen.
Buy it and chances are you won't be disappointed.
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
What of the claim that there is a method to do it on stage with people sitting in normal theatre seats with eyes at stage level? I am sure I read that he includes a method.
Is it one of those claims that IS possible but so many conditions have to apply to make it not practical. OR is it practical and most likely will be used.

Thanks
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
It is possible to do it on stage.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Elevator, A review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL