The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » "a couple of tricks" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
I have to show someone "a couple of sleight of hand tricks".

Since it's down to a couple, I was thinking about opening with David Roth's Hanging Coins, then do Twisting The Aces. I feel they're both pretty solid, and it may be better to show cards and coins rather than one or the other. Or is it? Or the other way around?

It's my first magic audition, so any insights would be greatly appreciated.
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
Froste
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Froste
I'd say do what you're comfortable with. Practice practice practice! Then rehearse rehearse rehearse!

What's the audition for, if I may ask?
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

No idea, just that they were looking for "basic sleight of hand" and to "show a couple of tricks".

There was a flyer at the magic shop asking for basic sleight of hand the email I got said to "be prepared to show a couple of sleight of hand tricks."

So I figured that meant no gaffs (in its strictest sense, I suppose).
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
You can use a gaff and it still be slight of hand. There are many coin routines that use gaffs and slight of hand.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
Tricks with double backers use sleight of hand.
Froste
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Froste
Sounds like you're all set! I'd say whichever you feel more comfortable (the coin or the cards) is what you should start with. I find it best to start with something that I am really comfortable with, then having success with that the other stuff flows nicer... that seems to work for me, YMMV. Smile

PS. Applying for work at the local magic shop? lucky dog! wish I had a local magic shop.
Mike_A
View Profile
New user
Bristol, UK
27 Posts

Profile of Mike_A
Good luck with the audition - let us know how it goes!

Don't forget that it's the entertainment value that counts. If your best trick requires a gaff I'd still use it providing you can give an engaging presentation.

Mike
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Thank you all for the input!

I guess I'll go with the two I was planning on. I think they're about the strongest ones I do, good and entertaining, and I'm not sure if there will be a table or anything - these I can do entirely in my hands. Since it is just two tricks, I figured it might play well to have everything examinable.

Froste, the flyer was at the magic shop (and it is totally cool to have a local place - I can't say enough good things about the staff at Browser's Den), but the audition is an open casting call for "basic" sleight of hand - I have to show the director a couple of tricks.

And thanks again for the advice and support. I'll certainly fill everyone in on how it goes. Until then, practice and rehearsal.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Be prepared for another two or three effects. You never know what is expected of you, or that extra two or three tricks can land you something good.

The director sees things differently and will always see things from his point of view.
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Good advice sir, and I shall take it to heart. Thank you.
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Went to the audition, and it was great. I expected to get beat up pretty good, but the exact opposite happened. Jay Sankey (who was auditioning) was beyond cool, a real class act.

He explained that he was looking for beginners and up for a couple ideas he's pitching, and he was nothing but complimentary. More than that, the guys waiting for their call times were cool as well. I've never walked out of an audition feeling so positive.

I was expecting something more like the music auditions I've been through, and it was like night and day. Honestly, I could hardly believe that there was no backstabbing, backhanded compliments, and no 'my **** is bigger than yours'. No condescending remarks, no 'run the guy down as soon as he's out of earshot', no negativity at all. What a welcome change!

I continue to be amazed at the magic community. The vibe is so positive, the people so cool and supportive, from this forum, to my local retailer, to the guys I met last Monday. It's one more reason to love magic - the people in it.
Ace of $pades
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Ace of $pades
I'd say do SilverDream if you can use coins. If you don't know it its on ellusionist.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Great - I am glad for you
Cards never lie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » "a couple of tricks" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL