We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine » » Favorite tricks from Genii magazine (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
David Acer has been doing a splendid job with magicana. So do any of you have any favorite tricks or moves from the magazine? Both of Jack Parker's one man Magicana particulary became one of my favorites. A whole lot of great card routines can be found inside those pages. Smile
Ben Bishop
View Profile
New user
Ontario, Canada
28 Posts

Profile of Ben Bishop
I'm with you - I think both Jack Parker issues feature some of the most interesting and original card magic published in a long time. For me, reading the first one in June of 2006 (the one with Dai Vernon on the cover) was like the first time I read stuff by Dingle, or Jennings.

This year (so far) I really like the impromptu pencil-through-bill that ran in January (Nick D'Angelo's Almighty Dollar), Ken Krenzel's Natural Ace Assembly (which ran in April) and Rick Merril's metamorphosis trick with cards where he lifts his shirt over a card hanging from his mouth and it changes into another card (that was in the July issue, which is the last one I read). Guy Hollingworth's one-coin trick in the March issue (Inflation?) where a dime becomes bigger and bigger until finally it's a jumbo coin was pretty cool too, but a little beyond my skill level.
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Yet another vote for the Jack Parker issues. Top-Notch Stuff.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
Ah you reminded me of the Ken Krenzel issue. That had some great stuff in it, including an oil and water routine. I'll have to read up on my back issues. Smile
Ben Bishop
View Profile
New user
Ontario, Canada
28 Posts

Profile of Ben Bishop
Quote:
On 2007-08-18 07:57, VcosNJ wrote:
Ah you reminded me of the Ken Krenzel issue. That had some great stuff in it, including an oil and water routine. Smile

I agree. The interview with Krenzel was great too. As far as oil-and-water routines, I also really liked Hiro Sakai’s “Color Sunder” in the October 2006 issue, especially the ending (an unexpected transposition between the red and black cards).
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26456 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I enjoyed reading the Hofzinser issue and its descriptions of his work. Also the Sawa issue from a long time ago.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16642 Posts

Profile of joseph
Or the Jennings issue from a long, long time ago.. Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1522 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
There are some very neat tricks in the May 2000 issue.

Best,
Charles
Ben Bishop
View Profile
New user
Ontario, Canada
28 Posts

Profile of Ben Bishop
Quote:
On 2007-08-19 08:41, msc455magic wrote:
There are some very neat tricks in the May 2000 issue. Best, Charles

Hi Charles,

Could you be more specific? Was that a one-man issue? A theme issue?
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1522 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
Hi Ben,

The May 2000 issue is the Magic of Japan issue, as there are many tricks in there that are created by Japanese magicians. Here are all the Japanese items that appeared in this issue:

Human Cannonball - Tomo Maeda
Automatic Ace Triumph - Kuniyasu Fujiwara
Fading Coin - Tomoyuki Takahashi
Mr. Green's Prediction - Kuniyasu Fujiwara
The Vibrating Bed - Hiro Sakai
Torn and Restored 2000 - Ken Kuroki
Backstabber II - Ton Onosaka
Ton's Dropped Force - Ton Onosaka
Piano Sans Keyboard - Hideo Kato
Ancient Coins Across - Shintaro Fujiyama
The Copper Queen and Silver President - Hiroshi Sawa
Three Different Coins - Yuji Wada
Ryu Susato's Business Card - Ryu Susato
The Novelist's Prediction - Masao Atsukawa
Warp 9 - Masao Atsukawa
Two Pens With But a Single Thought - Kazayuki Hase

Best,
Charles
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Phoenix, Az
377 Posts

Profile of atucci
Would someone care to describe the 'Fading Coin' effect? I've read several comments on it. Either that or I'll need to order the back issue from Genii. Thanks.
Tony Tuccillo

Phoenix, AZ
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5175 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2007-09-05 16:11, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Order the back issue from Genii! Cheap! $7 including postage!

It amazes me that any of these are still available. It's among my favorite issues and certain to become a collector's item (but I'll never sell mine). Get it while you can. It really is a steal at that price.
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1522 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
Quote:
On 2007-09-04 17:40, atucci wrote:
Would someone care to describe the 'Fading Coin' effect? I've read several comments on it. Either that or I'll need to order the back issue from Genii. Thanks.

To quote from another post: In essence, the spectator chooses a coin through imagination and it is materialized in your hand.

Best,
Charles
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Pay through the nose (in this month's issue. Original name: Todd Nose Best (tribute to Todd Robbins).
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
Frankly, I think the best mentalist effect in a long time appears in this month's issue, the one with Max Maven on the cover. It's an effect called "off-center tear" by someone named Andrew Baroch. Obviously well-written by David Acer, the move presents a delightfully simple yet fresh approach to the center tear with built-in misdirection for instant read.
fib [I wrote it.]
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
Well, contributed it. David did a much better writing job.
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
646 Posts

Profile of JordanB
I thought both issues with the Jack Parker material were excellent. The Max Maven issue was excellent as well, the interview was and excellent and the tricks were good. My friend Jared Kopf has a trick in that issue that is particularly good.

In my opinion Richard Kaufman has taken Genii to new heights. It just keeps getting better.
Kimura
View Profile
Elite user
421 Posts

Profile of Kimura
There is a Derek Dingle issue from 2004 that is wonderful. Some of the tricks were pulished in his Complete Works but they have been re-written and updated. The articles are good, too. Check it out if you want to know if you can handle Dingles stuff without buying the whole book.

Also in the same year was a Bob Read issue with some great gags and his legendary bottle production.

Finally, Johnathan Townsends coin routine should be analysed by anyone interested in coins. That was published sometime last year.
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
I second the Max Maven issue. My friend Donny Orbit had an effect that ran as well that was a little offbeat.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
yankeeprez
View Profile
New user
Florida
46 Posts

Profile of yankeeprez
After looking through a lot of the Genii Archive (which is great!) I think there is a tie between a Japanese 1969 issue and May 2000 issue. The 1969 issue is the one that has Kato's Card Happening in it.

I also believe Richard has been doing a great job with Genii. He's getting them out so fast!

Noah
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine » » Favorite tricks from Genii magazine (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL