The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Reproducing palmed coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dans595
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of dans595
Sometimes when a coin is palmed, especially after a vanish (standard, thumb vanish, etc), the magician will snatch the coin from the air. I am able to do this somewhat from the Down's palm, but from standard, thumb, or finger palm, I can't find the moves to do it smoothly. What do you do?
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Roth Expert Coin Magic Vol. 1 and PRACTICE!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
With some misdirection I shift the coin into a position where I can push or pop it into view.
It also depends on if my palm or backhand is towards the audience, distance from audience, angles and the routine.
It smoothes out with practice.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Experiment the moves in front of the mirror and you will see the different ways the coin would appear. From there you can have your choices on which one you would use constantly.

There are only that many ways a coin can appear from your hand. Practise and experiment the various production moves in front of the mirror first before showing to anyone.
John Locke
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
50 Posts

Profile of John Locke
Somethimes it is strongest to leave the coin vanished. Reproduction depends on your intention and the purpose you are trying to convey with the effect. Look at any one-coin routine for examples of reproductions. Jaz msde a good point when he mentioned shifting the coin to a position from where it can be produced. One type of shift is to transfer it to the other hand. For continuous plucking from the air, examine any miser's dream routine. However, any coin book, manuscript or DVD is apt to have ideas. Good luck on the pluck!

John
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Dan,
I just re read my reply to your question and realize it comes off quite smart a** and that wasn't my intent! Being pretty new here myself I wasn't sure if the answer would be construed as exposure. Sorry for the smug reply and welcome to the Café!
Mick
dans595
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of dans595
Mick,

It didn't come off as smug. I appreciated the pointer, it's just a matter of getting a hold of that material.

I have another question: are there affordable alternatives to silver dollars? I'd like to have a variety of coin sizes to practice with, all I have so far are quarters and half dollars. Also, do mint half dollars shine nicely?

Thanks,
Dan
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I actually think it is easier to produce a coin form any other position than a downs palm. PM, if your wondering what I'm thinking.

From my perspecitve, the only fordible alternatives from quarters and half dollars(which are hard to get also) is the mint itself. You might be able to find a collector or two that might have good deal.

My last thought, from experience, is that I can't see how you can have the time to master all the different coin sizes...less your especially talented or have a lot of time on you hands...don't get me wrong on this...

I don't know your intentions but as far as making this magical, you need to refer to the standard texts and understand the basic principals of misdirection and coin magic. Not that I do...meaning understand completely the principals of misdirection and magic as I'm just studying the subject myself. But I think my points are sound....correct me if I am wrong. Smile
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Bobo.
Cards never lie
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Half dollars and quarters are good sizes to work with. You can also add on the dollars. There are gimmicks and gaffs that will also compliment the three sizes. Be comfortable in this three sizes and work well with them and you will go far.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
There are dollar size Dragon Coins on EBay.

Here's another spot:
http://www.loudfrog.com/itemdetail.aspx?detailID=123751

Other large coins. However, no size given.
http://www.loudfrog.com/itemdetail.aspx?detailID=205810

Here are 2 size charts.
http://www.air-tites.com/ATsizechart.htm

http://coin-bezels.com/bezels/coin-sizes.html
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Those are very useful info, Jaz.
dans595
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of dans595
A local coin shop had Eisenhower dollars (38.1 mm) for two bucks a piece. I picked up four, so at most I've lost four bucks on that transaction (still legal tender). They are as large as an old silver dollar.
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
The silver content in a silver dollar (morgan, peace, etc) is about $12. Sometimes you can find well worn coins for not much more than that. If you find any cheaper, grab them.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Reproducing palmed coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL