The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Confession: I feel a little guilty when... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13364 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2007-08-20 19:17, msc455magic wrote:
Usually the easier the trick and the simpler the plot, the better it is. I find out that I get rewarded more by the audience when I do easier tricks as opposed to harder tricks.

My 2 NTs,
Charles

Reminds me of the time I performed for a group of restaurant magicians. I performed Gaeton Blooms "Visible Monte". Which of course utilizes the incredible Bloom Gimmick. But it looks like pure sleight of hand or even magic. Cards jump impossibly from one place to another, they jump from your hand to your pocket and back, they melt into the table, etc. Mere Mortals don't have a chance against the Bloom Gimmick. And it's so easy and automatic!

Anyway, they were totally smoked. They had no inkling that there was a Bloom gimmick, or that such an invention even existed. Their eyes got wide, and I could tell their brains were frying. I just revelled in every pleasurable moment of destroying their concept of reality. I owned them. And these were seasoned pros!
Anyway, their compliments on my "skill" were very forthcoming, and I just kind of smiled on the inside grinnin' like a cat that got the last of the cream. Of course, I took full credit! I mean, isn't that what we're supposed to do?

Fun times, man.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5245 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2007-08-20 21:39, Andy the cardician wrote:
But that is the purpose of the trick . . .

Generally a trick doesn't have a purpose, a particular magician's presentation of a trick has a purpose. The purpose of my presentation of this effect is not to convince spectators that I'm using sleight of hand.
YVRDave
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
104 Posts

Profile of YVRDave
How about just the opposite. I perform a trick with regular cards utilizing sleight of hand, then the spectators say that I must have used trick cards

Dave
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5245 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I prefer that there be no plausible explanation.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13364 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-01-18 08:24, Larry Davidson wrote:
I prefer that there be no plausible explanation.

The holy grail.....
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of impossible man
David -

Don't feel guilty. It's just one more time someone is making magic look good. As another poster said "I prefer that there is no plausible explanation" but of course some spectators will generate one.

There are magicians out there performing before they are ready and spoiling tricks. THEY should feel guilty. Thank you for helping keep the reputation of magic up. It helps those of us who work in the craft for income.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13364 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-01-19 13:05, impossible man wrote:
David -

"I prefer that there is no plausible explanation" but of course some spectators will generate one.

I have found that to be true. No matter HOW baffling the effect, now matter HOW impossible, their are always those individuals who can dig in their brains and come up with something TOTALLY insane, ridiculous, implausible, way in left field to explain away the magic. They won't sleep at night unless they explain away the astonishment....
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Have you observed how many spectators grab the regular cards after seeing a strong piece of magic? They always suspect trick cards . . .
Cards never lie
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13364 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I've had that happen. You don't have to be using a gimmicked deck for them to draw that conclusion.

And the worse part is those who don't say it, but they are secretly thinking it...

It's also true for coins and other props. ("Oh. They are just tricked") It's SO EASY for them to explain away the miracle you just showed them.

But that's the breaks. We can only deal with it the best we can and move on.
trickytrav
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of trickytrav
I once took some genuine coins out of my pocket to do a trick using the PATEO force, straight away I was accused of using trick coins.
Sometimes you just can't win.A fellow magi I know once drew out a deck of cards and someone straight away said oh my Uncle does this trick. There will always be people out there who want to be the centre of attention.
Anyway back to the original question. I used to hate using gaffes myself until I saw a more experienced magician using them and it made me realise it was all about performance no matter what the means.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Confession: I feel a little guilty when... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL