The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Favorites in "Scarne on Card Tricks"? (29 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
james_thecanadian_magician
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of james_thecanadian_magician
Yes, I use "Up Side Down Deck" as my impromptu triumph style routine. The reason being because I think it's easy and strong . I did the triumph to a friend who likes to watch me like a hawk when I perform. It went over really well.

I plan to go back to this book soon.
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
I just peeked inside the book on Amazon and decided to get it from looking at the table of contents and one or two tricks I was able to see in the preview. Based on some of the posts within this thread I am excited to dive into everything. Will be curious to read through and find my favorites to add to the list.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I bought mine when I was playing with magic when I was about 23 yrs. I was never really serious about magic. It was just a way to get attention & meet girls. I bought the book but never read it.
Now, that I am retired and hopefully a little wiser, I read most of it and even learned the value of "Practicing"

My copy was printed in 1973.

Ihor
Ihor
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
512 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
Funny... I just started re-reading this book and this post starts up. It is cool to see the difference 10 years makes between reads. I actually made notes on each page of my opinions of the trick like... "awsome trick!", "great magician trick" and etc.

However what a difference time makes. I didn't appreciate the material at that that younger age. The last few days have been insightful. Like the books intro says, he eliminated sleights from each trick. If you put your thinking cap on you can turn a lot of the tricks into lethal weapons.

Ryan
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
I am still not halfway through reading, but so far two of my favorites are Mind Control and The Magic Number Trick. I already have 11 tabs myself in which I want to go back to and reevaluate when I am done.
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
I tried Mind Control. I think there is a mistake in the second to the last paragraph. Shouldn't "left" be replaced with the word "right"?
Billybonkers
View Profile
Loyal user
Diamond Bar L.A
251 Posts

Profile of Billybonkers
I've only recently managed to pick this up second hand, what a bargain this book is.

I'd say future deck has to be my favourite.....
Cipher
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Cipher
Drunken Poker Deal and Future Deck stand out as some of the best. I also agree with those who have mentioned that because of the large "self working" nature of most of the tricks, some can feel a little flat and "meh". However, this book is still a classic, because of its cost and how much inspiration can be gleaned out of it.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Quote:
On 2012-06-28 23:15, WalterPlinge wrote:
I tried Mind Control. I think there is a mistake in the second to the last paragraph. Shouldn't "left" be replaced with the word "right"?

Maybe Scarne ribbon spread cards from right to left.

'Mind Control' is one of very important tricks in the book, because the key card placement in the trick is very useful and the Distant Key concept can be used in many effective ways.

Hideo Kato
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 18:27, Hideo Kato wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-28 23:15, WalterPlinge wrote:

Maybe Scarne ribbon spread cards from right to left.

'Mind Control' is one of very important tricks in the book, because the key card placement in the trick is very useful and the Distant Key concept can be used in many effective ways.

Hideo Kato

Yes -- I had assumed that the spread was from left to right -- but the book doesn't specify.

thanks
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Just had to reanimate this thread after finding it.

This was the first magic book I owned as a child and I pored over it for hours. My well-worn Signet Paperback original is long gone, so I was delighted to find it reprinted by Dover in its extensive collection of magic works.

It doesn't seem to get a lot of mention around here, though it is crammed with some gems. Is this because it is from 1950, and today's aficionados of self-workers prefer more recent contributions by Fulves, Colombini, and others?

Les
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Like The Fritz, I am partial to Upside Down Deck (not unlike a real easy Two card Triumph); I also use Travelling Aces a lot (which is like the very next trick in the book.
Cardflipper
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Cardflipper
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2007, Andy the cardician wrote:
It is a great book. A lot sounds simple, but packs big

All the tricks in that book are terrific!
AnthonyJD
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island , N.Y.
340 Posts

Profile of AnthonyJD
How about "You do as I do".
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2014, AnthonyJD wrote:
How about "You do as I do".

Indeed. It is a classic example of the magic truism that the impact of an effect is not necessarily related to the complexity or difficulty involved in achieving it. If I think like a magician, the straight-up Do As I Do seems so simple I am amazed that it gets past anyone. However, I have boggled people with this trick after they seemed underwhelmed by an effect with fancy finger flipping that SHOULD have impressed them more. In addition, the secret behind this trick shows up in jazzed up commercial effects which sell for a few bucks a piece just for a single trick--e.g., Paul Wilson's Con Cam Coincidencia is basically You Do As I Do in fancy modern dress.

It is all that that a great self-worker should be--simple and nearly fool proof, devoid of mathematical complexity, and baffling to the layman.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Still my favorite magic book (tied with Harry Lorayne's The Magic Book), still finding new ideas and effects, and still amazed! This is such a great book of card magic. In fact, I bought a second hardback copy to give to my son when he is old enough to receive and use magic books. I only have a few others set aside for that purpose.
Wilf Jonson
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Wilf Jonson
Quote:
Eric Fry wrote:
I thought I read once that Scarne didn't actually write the book. Anyone know anything about that?

Scarne on Card Tricks is believed to be ghostwritten by Dr. Ben Braude, described in the book's dedication as "magic's most enthusiastic hobbyist."

Braude's Mental Card Trick, praised in this thread, is his trick.
Joey_Z
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin, USA
89 Posts

Profile of Joey_Z
Dang! I just passed this up at a used bookstore. Wasn't sure if it looked like a good purchase at the time (i know, I know... Don't judge a book...)
AKMan
View Profile
New user
Covington, WA
56 Posts

Profile of AKMan
This is one of the best bargains in magic today. You can usually pick this up for less than five dollars. You will find something useful in this gook. As mentioned in other posts, embellish these effects with some sleight of hand or just play them straigt from the book. Either way you will find lots of things that will kill for laymen (and a few magicians). I have been doing variations on number 99, Cross Suits, for years. It always gets a nice response and is a nice filler in a broader routine.
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
For you guys that like Scarne on Card tricks I just posted my updated handling of the first trick in the book - Calling the cards - in Secret Sessions.

I hope you guys like it.

Regards, Marian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Favorites in "Scarne on Card Tricks"? (29 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL