The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best Swami or Boon types (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
killermagic80
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of killermagic80
This will sound like a silly question, but I would love to hear your ideas...

lets be clear: I need a boon/swami writer (although I bought several)for close up performance.

for close up and one on one, which of the following gimmicks you think will fit the best?

-swami c type
-boon writer
-boon writer with thump tip
-super sharpie
-OR Guy Bavli's super writer

(pricing is not a problem)

thanks for your help
Harry Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
Europe
128 Posts

Profile of Harry Lucas
It's a matter of personal taste, what's best, I guess you will need to try it for yourself.

I'd like to add Lincoln's Best boon to your list.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
22358 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I like the Lincoln's Best Boon the best.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15
killermagic80
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of killermagic80
What looks better? writing with a pencil or sharpie?

I dondt understant why they don't have a boon writer with pen
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
22358 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It depends on the size of your audience. For close-up use lead. For stage use a wider mechanism.

People would not buy ink because it will not write when upside down or at an angle. Plus the ink will stain pockets. Ink will look more like a magic prop was used. Lead looks more natural and plain for a mentalist.
killermagic80
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of killermagic80
I think you are right!! I just wanted someone to confirm it to me!!
mindgames
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of mindgames
I go with vernet thumb writer, try it out and ull know why.
I READ MINDS.... YOURS TOO.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
22358 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The vernet is for stage performances. I have that one too.
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2220 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
I prefer the super sharpie. It comes ready to handle, built within a regular sharpie so it is very difficult to detect - but never had anyone want to look at the pen - and you can hand the pen out for the spec to use. Plus the writing, drawings, etc stand out a lot clearer compared with the pencil version.
For me it just seems more in keeping with the times and feels right in my performance.
At first I found the boon a little difficult to handle but with practice - thumb positioning etc - I found it works great.
It really is a very subtle prop and I dare say very powerful in the right hands...
For as long as space exists,

And living beings remain in cyclic existence,

For that long, may I too remain,

To dispel the sufferings of the world.

-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
1962 Posts

Profile of gabelson
After going through (most of them) I swear by the Jerry Somerdin boon from Ronjo that only costs $12. It's tiny, yet stable enough, and also writes in a thick dark pencil line, so you don't have to decide between lead and grease. That being said, the book that comes with Lincoln's boon (a great boon, but a bit too bulky for me-- but perfect for others), is worth a lot. Great ideas there.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
11904 Posts

Profile of IAIN
The scarab for me, and for a cheapo but useable one, P.O.T.s they are called, in the UK you get 4 for ten quid...with a little alteration they're more than useable..

I've got my own blueprint for an ink swami, that I've nearly gotten down to being changeable, and non-bleeding too...sooooo close...
JasonLinett
View Profile
Loyal user
Alexandria, VA
202 Posts

Profile of JasonLinett
The Great Carlyle, Ed Fowler, has put out an amazing thumb writer package with a Listo Lead set-up. His big improvement is an improvement on how to get the writer on and off in record speed. Check it out at the link below...

http://carlyletouch.com/PageTwo.html
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1014 Posts

Profile of magic4545
For owners of the manuscript for Jimmy Fingers' PTW (Perfect Thumb Writer), I have a new file for you that shows the construction of the PTW ink version. Just find the last word on your PTW manuscript (before the copyright), and fill it into the address below where the blanks are...

http://www.jimmyfingers.com/_ _ _ _ .zip

The file will come to you, compressed.

Thanks,

Jimmy
http://www.jimmyfingers.com
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
If you are going to do any Pocket Writing my top recommendation is the Zip Pen which can be purchased at any major office supply store in the USA. For all other writing try them all (not buy them all) until you feel comfortable with one or two. The choices vary per performer.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
22358 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The Tom Thumb is a ink gadget too, but I do not believe in ink as a writer.
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
532 Posts

Profile of RSD
I for one never use anything with lead. I find it doesn't look credible. When do you ever do an effect with ungimmicked writing utensil and you chose a pencil? I don't. I rarely see other perfomers do so. They utensil of choice in magic, is a Sharpie. When all of a sudden you pull out a pencil, supsicions are raised. Its like practicing palming..."How would this look if I wansnt palming?"
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
12001 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
RSD

I have yet to meet anyone other than a magician that carries a Sharpie around with them. Most people carry a pen or pencil if they have something to write with, and some just a tube of lipstick or a crayon (which are more common than Sharpies). So what is this with credability?

Tony
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
532 Posts

Profile of RSD
I can see your point, but using a pencil I find is still a stretch.

If I'm a laymen, and I'm watching a routine and I see him pull out a pencil, I would think to myself why this entertainer is using a pencil. It doesn't look professional. I don't think people carry pencils around with them, pens yes - Sharpies no. I find it looks way more professional to use a Sharpie with any effect that involves writing. The audience get its. The understand why your using a black marker that writes large and is easy to see. My pet peeve is performers using pencils to write with in their acts. Its hard to see, and looks tacky.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
12001 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I have a Cross pen and pencil set I carry.

If performing formally, the rules are different. You have an excuse for using what is not normal.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
11904 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've only been asked once "why aren't you using a felt tipped pen or marker?",and I said the honest truth..."yeah, I used to, but the smell off the pen gives me a sore throat..and I've stopped eating pencil lead years ago..."
rbattle
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of rbattle
C type

Robert
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
1713 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Anyone ever buy or use the Bavli Superwriter? It's quite expensive.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Pierre Emmanuel
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Pierre Emmanuel
If you look at the description for the boon in 13 steps, it is stated that a little spit on a boon suffices to make it stick.

I guess they were made in a different material at that time, because unless you put some tack, I don't see how you can fix it properly. Even with tack or wax, I have some problems with time .. heat + movements..
luxor07
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of luxor07
I have had the best luck using the Lincoln's Best Boon.
lostpoet
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of lostpoet
I’ve been battling with this “which one” recently. I have and use for close up the Sam D. NW’s. I like these and the book that came with it is very good too. I want to do a bigger showpiece and need a swami of some kind to stand out. So I’m in the market for one that prints big and dark enough to be read at a distance. I’m thinking about super sharpie or Lincolns from what I’ve read searching threads. If anyone has other recommendations/help, please let me know!

Thanks,

--Lostpoet--
malkav
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of malkav
The one you practice with. I like Lincoln's Best due to the ease of changing lead.
lostpoet
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of lostpoet
Thanks for your input malkav.
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1138 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
How much are you willing to lose?
Boons and NW tend to be small. Very easy to misplace. I do it all the time.
I have the Lincoln boon. I like it but I won't use it because of its cost. I'm taking gabelson's advice and going for the Jerry Somerdin boon from Ronjo. A $12 loss is a little easier to deal with.
So when you're making your choice, take that into account.
ferryascanio
View Profile
Loyal user
Jakarta - Indonesia
241 Posts

Profile of ferryascanio
For close up I like swami c type, for stage use vernet thumb writer ...
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
You know, everyone is going to share with you what is their favorite. It is the best for them. That doesn't mean it's going to be the best for you.

Which one you use should be based on your needs, uses, and skills. Personally, I use the good ol' C. It's easy off, and there are several books with simply ways to make it easy on. I get the softest lead available from a stationary store and do basic writing (pre swami additions) with an automatic pencil using the same type of lead. It looks great close up or from stage.

So is this going to be the best for you? ***ed if I know! Try our several and see which one meets your needs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best Swami or Boon types (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.403582 seconds, requiring 86 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [6] [5] [7] [4] [9] [3] [9] [2]