The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » A book about the magic of Fred Kaps? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Cook
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Steve Cook
Probably an impossibility for anyone to write of Kaps magic, as he took most of it
with him when he left us in 1980. What a diabolical shame it was never done! If someone other than Kaps had to write it then, there are a few people who may have had the knowledge to produce such a work, had they stiil been around: Phillipe Fialho, Fred Robinson (possibly), Bro' John Hamman... and, I'm sure today that guys such as Pete Biro, Barry Stevenson, Piet Forton and a few others could contribute some worthwhile stuff. The best candidate however, in my opinion, would have been the late, great, Ken brooke; Fred Kaps' close friend and confidant. Let's be honest, who magically, wrote better and more entertainingly than Ken?
Now that would have been a book to crave for! Ah well...
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2573 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Dik Koornwinder (A very inventive Dutch magician) has or was working on a book of Fred Kaps magic. I don't know if it is still being written or if the project is still even in the works.

I do know Koornwinder was a good friend of Kaps so he would be a very good one to write such a book.

Hopefully the book is still in the works and will see the light of day very soon!

Randy
Steve Cook
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Steve Cook
Hi Randy, Yes, I've heard about the Koornwinder book and yes, he was a good friend of Kaps, however, I've heard nothing positive about the book for a long while.
There are (and were) a good number of magicians who knew Kaps very well and, were
aware of many of the subtle methods he employed, including: Ger Copper (another fine Dutch magician), Trevor Lewis, Ricky Jay, Tonny Van Rhee and so on. I'm
sure that if Dick Koornwinder produces such a book, that it will be a very worthy effort. I still however, go back to my original post in that I honestly believe that
whoever writes it today (if anyone ever does), then it will be a very difficult task, due mainly to the lack of information available on Kaps' effects, technique and methodology, which (as far as I'm aware) he never really wrote up to any degree. I hope someone proves me wrong! Such a project would be a great challenge to anyone with the patience, resolve, fortitude and tenacity to attempt it. I sincerely hope that such a book comes to fruition and, I eagerly await any positive news. I still would have loved to have seen Ken Brooke write such a book!
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18269 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Thre is no "lack of information" as Kaps kept copius notes on everything. Every trick, move, idea, etc. and Koornwinder has that collection of his notes as well as all the correspondence from all Fred's friends (over 100 letters from me alone).

It is just a matter of Dick getting down to work on it. I takes a lot of time and every once in awhile he does get on with it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Steve Cook
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Steve Cook
Thanks for that Pete. Pat Page once mentioned that Kaps had a personal notebook
in which he recorded everything worth recording (as of course most creative magicians do) but, I didn't know that Dick Koornwinder had his collection of notes. It's a daunting task,
not just to produce such a work but, to produce one worthy of the great man's
memory and, truly representative of his unique talent. I wish Dick Koornwinder
well and look forward to it with baited breath!
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Fred Kap's work is my favorite too. Let's hope the work can be completed sooner.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1750 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Hey, if he needs help writing it, I'm available. But, who can afford to go to Holland on what little I make.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20221 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I hope this work does get done. But as best I remember, Fred Kaps had trouble with numbers himself.

I look forward to seeing the finished goods.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@MagicBySander.com

http://www.magicbysander.com/
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1750 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I would like to help out, but I’m sure the main problem is that Fred Kaps notes were probably in Dutch. I wouldn’t be able to read them. I would be able to help put it together. I don’t like to procrastinate.

Or maybe Dik can use an illustrator. But, whatever, I know I would love to see a book on Kaps in print. I have the one that was compiled by Freddie Jelsma. It was a good book, but short. I wish it could have been longer.

Maybe something can be worked out. There is a need for a comprehensive book on Fred Kaps. Dik Koornwinder is in the perfect position to write such a book.
helder
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of helder
Any news about this book?
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3538 Posts

Profile of Kondini
In Kens Studio 145 Wardour Street Ken had the Magic of Kaps book on display. When anyone opened it, it turned out to be a book full of blank pages. Such was the interest in Kaps and the naughtyness of Ken.

There were many other gags played out in the studio (My favorite was the self lighting bulb) to make the bulb light up Ken would bang on the floor (Which was the ceiling to the Café directly below) Then the bulb would light up or go out accordingly !!!!! Guess how many visitors called into the Café on the way out from Brookies all trying to figure out what or who below controlled the bulb. Remember (Scotty York bulb).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » A book about the magic of Fred Kaps? (0 Likes)
  Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2015 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.071920 seconds, requiring 36 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [7] [9] [8] [9] [6] [9] [5] [8]