The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What are the top 10 items a beginner needs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Patience in not showing something you are learning.

Acting lessons

Improvisational Lessons

A journal for your ideas and rewriting....

A mentor

A mirror

A video camera

Ability to take criticism from the right people

Watch other types of entertainers

Take your work seriously and yourself lightly

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Having a good mentor is very important,

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Here's a question I have for all the great advice/advisors here. Three of the best books I've found very helpful as a beginner were:

1.) Scarne on Cards/John Scarne.

2.) Mulhollands Book of Magic/John Mulholland.

3.) The Amateur Magician's Handbook/Henry Hay.

They were what "fell into my hands and seemed to help get me started. What think you? RS?
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
PirateJohn
View Profile
Regular user
Anaheim, CA
156 Posts

Profile of PirateJohn
1. Acting lessons -- community college should suffice
2. Mentor
3. The Royal Road to Card Magic by Hugard & Braue
4. Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic
5. Practice!
6. A few trusted friends on whom to practice
7. Charisma
8. Confidence
9. Theater experience
10. A good speaking voice
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Zen and the art of the monologue
The Artist Way
The Actor at Work

One was written by a magician....No prize to the first to identify the person.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2007-09-20 23:47, superpixel wrote:
So if you really want to get your feet wet, I discovered the delightfully light and enjoyable "Amazing Magic Tricks Anyone Can Do" which are 2 DVD's that will set you straight. No, they aren't master courses. And no, they aren't perfect. But if you want a taste of magic, and you want to know about a dozen tenets of the art, this is a great place to start off.

I've been monkeying with magic (more like dreaming up routines Smile for more than 20 years, and I never felt like I "got it" until I saw Sankey's videos. Even though the tricks can be kinda rudimentary, maybe even "common" he does a great job of teaching you performance. It is all about the performance.

I bought Sankey's "Amazing Magic Tricks Anyone can Do" when I first got back to doing magic. Initially I was disappointed because I was finding almost all of the tricks in other books, like Wilson's Complete Course. Yet, as I went through the DVDs I appreciated being able to see some things being perfomed - timing, hand motions, where to look.. It really is helpful to *see* a shuttle pass, a salt shaker vanish, a spoon vanish..

Yet, the buyer should be aware that not all of the effects shown in the demo are taught. He has many nice tricks being shown in the demo & the DVDs themselves that are very nice (a "going home" effect, copper to silver, several card transformation..), but only demo'ed. I've since been able to figure out how to do most of those effects. Yet, I've not figured out an 7-8 card transformation that he does, and apparently ends clean at the end, with all the cards transformed.

It is a good set.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
dancingm0nk3y
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of dancingm0nk3y
If you're interested in cards I would recommend Martini's "Art of Card Splitting". It doesn't have much magic, but it will provide you with almost every card gaff you could ever want.
-- Clay
matt kemp
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of matt kemp
Quote:
On 2007-09-16 20:24, Travmcgrav wrote:
I recently got really interested in magic and was wondering what items are considered essential for a well rounded repertoire.

You need to ask yourself what you want out of your magic. Think about these questions:
-For who will you be performing? At what distance? How often?
I am a hobbyist so I only show magic to my friends/family for free. Given that I see these people all the time, I like having a lot of material. Also, when you perform for friends and family they are much more likely to want to inspect things, so I usually have effects that can be inspected. I NEVER try to do stage magic because I never perform on stage.

-How much time do you want to invest?
All of us have a limited amount of time, so we must choose our effects wisely. Personally, I have chosen to invest most of my time over the past 6 months in learning cups and balls. My cups and balls routine is pretty solid now, but it took a LOT of time. Many magicians "specialize" in one type of magic, and I have chosen cups and balls (for now). Also, I find that I only use self working/really basic card tricks because they don't take much practice time.

-How much money do you want to invest?
Magic can be an extremely expensive hobby, so you must ask yourself how much you want to spend on books/props. Tarbell has a cheap e-book for $35. I have heard that it is not as complete as the book series, but it is a LOT cheaper. So if you are on a budget, just make sure that you will use everything you buy.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
When I first bought the Mark Wilson Course back in 1975 (when I was a teenager) it came with a complete set of props which I think can still be the standard for new magicians today:
4 sponge cubes (the forerunner of sponges - get Goshman 2 inch super-softs)
2 decks of cards (at that time they were Aviator bridge size, but poker size is better)
some gaff cards (double-face; double-back, cards of MacDonald Aces and a jumbo bike)
a hank of rope (for some cool rope tricks)

I think that was it, but I thought it was a great set to start with.

The most important part was the BOOK!!!
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
If you are primarily interested in sleight of hand, then try to find the Bill Tarr books. They are very well illustrated and have good descriptions of lots of different things. That way you can see the different types of magic out there.

After that you will have a better feeling for what you want to look at next and can plan purchases after that. As an example say you fall in love with silk magic, you can put off the purchase of a cups and balls set for a while when you want to diversify right away. If you really love coin magic, you might want to invest in some half dollars or silver dollars.

Don't get caught up in getting props and individual effects. You don't need those expensive linking rings, or cups and balls to do great magic.

If you feel comfortable reading then I would avoid DVD's as well, you get more for your buck with books.

And while you will get plenty of good advice here, try to find a good magic shop (avoid buying things on-line) and ask for their advice. Good shops will guide you along the way since they know that you are likely to return again and again rather than just making the quick buck today.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
DMG
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of DMG
I've seen "having a mentor" mentioned but not where to find one.

Try and join a local magic club. Its also a great place to practice performances.
Dave Gerin
View Profile
New user
New York/Daytona Beach
55 Posts

Profile of Dave Gerin
Two words, Thumb Tip
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
The best advice I heard when starting out years ago, is to master a good handful of routines (4-5), and just concentrate on those for a good long while. I think it can be tempting as a beginner to spend a fortune on all the magic "stuff" available. Pick 4 or 5 tricks and be a master at them. Better to be a master of 5 tricks, and then to do 50 tricks Half-A$$.
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------John Dream------------If you can Dream it, you can Do it!
1317 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
I agree on the Tommy Wonder and Mark Wilson books to get a good basic and then try to master just a few effects really good...

Best,
Dr. Eamon
Presentation is everything!

If you can Dream it, you can Do it!

The eXtreme SVENPAD Supreme eBook
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------John Dream------------If you can Dream it, you can Do it!
1317 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
If you do restourant magic don't forget David Stone DVD 1 and 2

They are great!!!

Best,
Dr. Eamon
Presentation is everything!

If you can Dream it, you can Do it!

The eXtreme SVENPAD Supreme eBook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What are the top 10 items a beginner needs (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL