The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Kingdom of the Red- Book/DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
I recently bought Kingdom of the Red written by the Larry Barnowsky. I have had the book and DVD for about a week and I’m very impressed with the quality of the material in the book as well as the quality of the book itself. The best books in terms of quality seem to come out of Hermetic Press. This book is in that class and IMO actually higher in overall quality in terms of paper, binding and illustrations.

This is a very fine hardcover book with 240 pages 28 chapters and over 450 photos. The photos are very professionally shot and printed. I can’t remember a book with photos of this quality. Larry’s last coin book had very good photos but these are superior to that.

I’ve skimmed through the book and the contents are excellent. I’ll comment on some of the chapters that I’ve studied. In Chapter 1 there is and effect called Alignment of Colors at Montauk Point. This is a red black color separation which is totally baffling and uses some mathematical principles. Best of all you only need to do one Faro Shuffle. It’s unlike anything I’ve seen before. You will use this.

In Chapter 3 there is The Comedy Rope and Ring Routine. There are some standard moves and some of Larry’s own which are woven into a logical routine with a comedic flavor. The DVD also shows the moves in detail from different points of view. There is comedy, audience participation, and a real kicker at the end.

The best coin routine in the book is Gateway Through Time and Space in Ch. 8. Vanishes, penetrations, appearances and more. This uses his Time Tunnel prop. He teaches you how to make one in the book but I suggest you buy the spun copper one he sells on his website since that is very well made and you might have a problem finding the needed material to make the prop. The effect uses some gaffs and is easy to learn with no difficult moves. I bought it and the gaffs as a kit and pleased with the quality.

Kingdom of the Red in Chapter 11 is a card effect told partly in verse in the form of a fairy tale. I watched the performance on the DVD. It was beautifully done and fooled me the first time I watched it. Most magicians with basic card skills should be able to do this.

I watched the performance of Wedding Ring Redux on the DVD and had no idea how the ring penetrated the velvet cord . The routine is unique in that the ring is never taken off the cord. It appears on the cord and penetrates on and off very magically. He explains the work in detail both in the book and on the DVD. Each penetration is timed with the script and the net effect is a logical magic effect which is very entertaining.

The Magic Lesson reminds me of the Vanishing Bandana. It uses recorded instructions like the Bandana effect. It's done with sponge balls and a Hank Box. This is a very funny routine which I will definitely use.

The Haunted Cabinet is a piece of apparatus that Larry designed. Watch the effect on the DVD and the watch the explanation. I had no idea how it worked. It is so mechanically clever.

Overall I am very satisfied with the book and DVD as well as the Time Tunnel Kit I purchased. There is a large variety of high quality original material in the book. Some easy and some that will require practice. As I go through the book and DVD more thoroughly I’ll update my impressions.
The website link is: http://www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky/kotr1.html

David
Ogre1234
View Profile
New user
Winnipeg, Canada
92 Posts

Profile of Ogre1234
Good review. Larry sent me an email regarding this set. I might have to place my order now.
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
I’ve immersed myself in Kingdom of the Red for the last two weeks having read part of the book. I’d like to make a few general statements and then give a more detailed review chapter by chapter.

The design of the book is itself a work of art. It’s obvious a lot of care and thought went into the production of this book. When I get a book I read every word including the copyright page and that’s where you’ll discover that Count Elmsley himself did the artwork for the cover. From the preface you’ll learn where the book title came from. Each chapter (there are 28) is divided into effect, skills needed, props needed, setup, explanation and script, and ends with a step by step synopsis. The latter I found very helpful in practicing more complicated effects.

I have the regular hardcover edition. Collectors will probably choose the leather limited edition. The quality of the binding and paper is outstanding. The photographs leap out from the page and are placed with the text in such a way so you don’t have to turn pages to refer to a figure.

The DVD is imprinted with the dust jacket castle. Material from 17 of the 28 chapters are taught and or demonstrated on the 95 minute DVD. At $10 for the DVD this is a bargain. The video and audio quality is very good.

Ch.1- Alignment of Colors at Montauk Point: If you can do one Faro this needs to be in your repertoire. A series of shuffles are done following the free selection of a card. This includes a riffle shuffle of the entire deck by the spectator. The cards are divided eventually into eight piles as directed by the spectator some face up and some face down. The spectator decides where the cards go based on their intuition of what color a face down card is. The packets are repeatedly shuffled together face up to face down until only one pile remains. The cards are spread and all the face up cards are black. The spread is flipped over and all the other cards face up are red except one black, the selected card. As I said, all you need is to do a faro. The mathematics takes care of the rest. This is a gem. (also taught on the DVD)

Ch. 2- Binary Predictions: This is a double prediction effect using a clever mathematical device which he shows you how to construct. First a pair of coins are chosen from a pile of assorted coins. Next a scrabble tile is freely selected. Some square cards are shown with letters on them and the spectator answers several yes or no questions. A locked box is removed from a bag and when the spectator unlocks it he finds exact duplicates of the two coins chosen and a duplicate of the chosen letter tile inside. The way the coins are predicted is based on an old principle. The letter tiles is something I’ve never seen before and let me just say it’s mathematical and automatic. You actually don’t even have to know what letter they picked. The device will do that for you. I think some may chose to use this device for other effects. (also taught on the DVD)

Ch. 3- Comedy Rope and Ring: I really like ring and rope effects because they have good angles and use ordinary props. The problem is unless you perform it silently the patter is usually descriptive filler. This routine combines some great ring and rope work with a logical and funny script. The props include the rope, 3 inch ring, blindfold, bell, and handcuffs. There are some well known moves and some original ones. The handcuff finale is outstanding. The routine is done initially solo and then you work with two spectators until the end. The moves are explained very clearly in the book but he shows them with different angles on the DVD. Excellent. A professional routine.

Ch. 4- Dice/ No Dice: This starts out as a dice assembly with 5 dice and a small cubical box. The box is gaffed (he shows you how to make one) which allows you to be one ahead of the spectator. On DVD this really looks good. It ends with a 3 in the hand- one in the pocket sequence and at the end there are no dice in the hand. The gaff helps you with the final vanish. Very nicely done but the second part will require practice.

Ch. 5- Entropy I and II: I love this effect. It’s Larry’s take on Lennart Green’s Fractal Harmony designed for spectators with a shorter attention span. He has two versions, one with a full deck stack and one with a 13 card stack. I like the full deck one better. If you like effects with the Gilbreath Principle you’ll want to learn this one. This is not on the DVD.

Ch.6- Flying Single and Double Spinner: This is a one hand spin technique like The Long Distance Spinner in Tarbell but the grip and technique are different. Also you can cause two cards to spin out in opposite directions from the deck. Watching it on the DVD is very helpful. Larry actually catches the card in the deck without opening the pack. The card just penetrates into the deck. The two card spin out is not easy. I haven’t even tried that yet. The flourish dudes will like this.

Ch. 7- Gateway Through Space and Time: I also bought the Time Tunnel prop. The routine flows and is logical because the moves are justified by the ongoing script. The routine consists of two parts, a series of penetrations ending with one done in slow motion and then a coin assembly. This is a fairly easy routine to do with no difficult sleights. Gaffs do a lot of the work for you. One could do either of the sequences as a separate routine. I can see doing the penetration sequence by itself if I didn’t have enough table room for the assembly. Highly recommended.

Ch. 8- Haunted Cabinet: If you are handy with tools you’ll want to build this unique piece of apparatus. It reminds me of the Astro Cabinet but the method is completely different and it does much more. A cabinet is shown empty by opening hinged doors front and back. A silk is placed in a wine glass and the glass placed in the cabinet. The doors close and open and the silk has jumped out of the glass to the other side of the cabinet by a small pedestal. Next an examined large rubber ball is placed on the pedestal and the glass on the opposite side of the cabinet. The doors close and then open and now the ball is in the glass. The ball is removed and the glass replaced and the doors are shut. Three coins are shown and vanish in the hands one by one (gaff is used). As they vanish they are heard landing in the glass one at a time. When the doors are opened three coins are found in the glass. Nothing by the way is attached to the glass, ball, coins, or silk. Watch it on the video and you’ll smile as he shows you how it’s done.

Ch. 9- Intrusive Black Threes- This is a fairly intense routine in that a lot of magic happens with a logical and stunning kicker at the end. It involves the four queens, four aces and four chosen cards. The aces and then the queens are lost in different parts of the deck. Two of the remaining chosen cards turn out to be the black threes which have the power to cause everything to occur in sets of threes. The chosen cards change to an ace and three queens, then the three queens change to three aces leaving all four aces. Three aces vanish one at a time leaving one ace. That is placed in the middle of the deck three times but each time comes to the top. It’s tried a fourth time but doesn’t happen because of the effect of the black threes. Instead a queen comes to the top and when the deck is spread the three other queens are face up in different parts of the deck. Standard sleights are used and Larry shows you his method for the buckle count which I’ve tried and will use. The step by step synopsis at the end of the chapter is very helpful in practicing this effect. This explained well on the DVD too. This one I will perform once I get it down cold.

Ch. 10- Juxtaposed and Joined: This is Larry’s take on the fused card effect. This is direct and easy to do with no awkward moves or shows. Those of you who use Anniversary Waltz may find that you prefer his approach. I do. The story line is very different but I won’t give it all away here.

Ch. 11- Kingdom of the Red: The trick for which the book was named. He performs this on the DVD and it is extremely well done. I’m not going to spoil it by detailing the effect since you’ll want to watch the DVD before reading this chapter. A lot of magic happens and it builds in intensity as the story unfolds. The story begins like a fairy tale and before you even realize it everything begins to rhyme and the rhyming is timed perfectly with the action. In the preface Larry calls this his signature piece. I think that anyone who puts in the time to master this will have a reputation building routine. This is so well routined and scripted that I would hesitate to change anything. All the moves are within the realm of the average magician who delves with cards.

Well that’s the first 11 chapters. There are 17 more. When I get through more of the book I’ll update this review. Overall this is a very impressive book which is well written and contains some great material which I know I will use.

BJ
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Thanks for the reviews
Cards never lie
apple123
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of apple123
Very helpful reviews. Thank you.
Kyf
View Profile
Loyal user
UK, England (but Scottish by birth)
265 Posts

Profile of Kyf
Hi,

Just to add my 10c worth - this is one of the BEST magic books I've purchased. Excellent value for money and Larry is a great guy too.

All the very best for future productions - you've set a new standard Larry,

Kyf
"I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension." Steve Wright
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I'd like to express my thanks to Kyf, David, and BJ for posting those reviews. There are some more reviews and comments about the book on the coin forum:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......=3&7

If anyone has any questions about the book or DVD, please feel free to email me at barnowsky1@aol.com or PM me at the Café. Every inquiry or question will be individually answered.

Larry Smile
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
I couldn't have said it any better then the above reviews. This is a awesome book and Larry is a hellava nice guy. Thanks Larry.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Thanks sleightofhander. I appreciate your positive comments and I'm glad you are enjoying the book and DVD.

I just obtained a new supply of authentic solid dollar size Chinese coins which are naturally shimmed. I will be including one of these coins FREE with each book ordered (Kingdom of the Red or 21st Century Coin Mechanics) for Cafe members until my supply runs out.

Larry
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
This is a continuation of my review of Kingdom of the Red. Great book and DVD. No filler. Very well written and illustrated.

Ch. 12- Lost in Limbo: 4 aces are removed and the deck cut into 4 piles like in Ortiz’s Combination Cull. The spectator cuts buries the aces in each pile and the deck reassembled. The aces are now in limbo and the magician shows that they are not in the deck by going through the deck one by one. Each ace is then produced one at a time using some original revelation techniques taught in the book. You could substitute one or more of your own favorite revelations instead of the four that Larry uses. No difficult moves except the Quantum Spinner is one of the revelation techniques and that’s taught in chapter 17. That you’ll like and its pretty easy to get good at it. I think many will add this gem to their repertoire.

Ch. 13- Magic Lesson: This is Larry’s take on the Vanishing Bandana type effect. It’s done with a Hank Box and sponge balls (and a lot more). The magician performs his new effect as he and the audience listen to the audio instructions. Balls appear and disappear and change color etc. but everything happening is not quite in synch with the instructions. The magician doesn’t say a word so there is plenty of opportunity for hamming it up with double takes and exaggerated gestures. Magical things happen but they don’t follow the audio instructions. There are two surprises at the end which I won’t give away. This could be performed on stage using bigger balls. The sponge ball sleights are also taught on the DVD. I’m going to dust off my Jap Box and rehearse this one.

Ch. 14- Natural Selection: Using the theme of survival of the fittest the spectator through a process of elimination finds his own thought of card. This is totally mathematical and works automatically. No set up or sleights. I’ve performed this for a few friends and they were stunned. I think the fact that the spectator handles the cards makes the climax more impressive.

Ch. 15- Outer Limits: This does require a set up but you get a powerful effect out of that preparation. Spectator freely selects a cards from a large packet that he shuffles. The cards are mixed and cut in a number of different ways some face up and some face down. The magician does similar things to a packet he shuffles. The packets are combined and mixed. The combined packets (24 cards) are finally spread face up and only two cards are found face down- the spectator’s freely selected card and its mate. No difficult sleights. The step by step synopsis at the end of each chapter is really welcome for effects like this which are more complicated.

Ch. 16- Peace Dollar Production: The coin wizards will like this quickie. Four silver dollars (or other coins) appear in the left hand one at a time as the right hand magically waves over it. This looks very good on the DVD.

Ch. 17-Quantum Spinner: This is a cool technique for making one or two cards spin out of a packet. With two cards, they spin out in opposite directions and are caught with each hand. I was able to do the single card spin out after a few minutes and the double after about an hour of practice. This is well taught both in the book and DVD.

Ch. 18- Rendezvous Aces: This is a beautiful routine which Larry says is “the workhorse” of his repertoire. So much magic happens to the four aces. In a nutshell, the aces are lost in the deck, the ace of spades is found and discarded to the table. But the AS comes back 3 more times until there are apparently 4 aces of spades. The packet of four AS is shown to contain 4 identical AS. Then one by one these change to the missing Aces with a series of well orchestrated color changes. There’s more to but I gave you the essentials of it. Once again the step by step synopsis is invaluable. This is also taught on the DVD including all the color changes.

Ch. 19-Shuffle, Cut, and Fold: If you can do a Faro this is a great effect you’ll want to perform. Basically a card is freely selected and the cards mixed in a variety of way with cards face up and face down. The deck is cut and about half are discarded. An array of 28 cards is formed and rows and columns are folded over until a single packet remains. This is similar to the procedure in John Bannon’s Degrees of Freedom. When the packet is spread there are only four face up cards- the selected card and its three mates.

So far I haven’t seen a bad effect. Everything is well explained and detailed scripts are included. 9 more chapters to go.

BJ
A.J.
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
314 Posts

Profile of A.J.
I received Larry's new book just a few days ago, and I am thrilled with the content. Some incredible magic...not pipedreams but fully-tested effects and routines. I'm impressed.

This book will keep me busy for quite some time.

Definitely recommended.

A.J.
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
Quote:
On 2007-09-29 11:37, Kyf wrote:
Hi,

Just to add my 10c worth - this is one of the BEST magic books I've purchased. Excellent value for money and Larry is a great guy too.

All the very best for future productions - you've set a new standard Larry,

Kyf

I agree. My copy just arrived, and it's even better than I thought.

And with the Canadian dollar, it was on sale!
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

And I would like to add that the Time Tunnel prop is super-nice.
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
I agree. The Time Tunnel is a great prop. I especially like the last sequence which is done in slow motion where the half dollar visually penetrates the Time Tunnel. You can see it demoed on the DVD too.

David
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Thank you all for those positive posts about my book/dvd as well as the Time Tunnel prop.

As I am writing today, I have one Time Tunnel left. The Time Tunnel Kits should be available before December 1. I will have 8 more of them to sell as the kit and 4 more Time Tunnels without the kit (gaffed coins and card).

I do not like taking money up front for items that I can't ship today. If you PM me or email me at barnowsky1@aol.com I can reserve a Time Tunnel or a Time Tunnel Kit for you. No deposit or money is needed to reserve these.

Please note that these come with no instructions. The entire routine is taught both on the DVD and with step-by-step photos in the hardcover book, Kingdom of the Red.

If you want the special leather edition I would recommend ordering it now because I expect to be sold out of them before Christmas.

Any book will be signed upon request.

Larry
surfer623
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of surfer623
I also agree with the above reviews. The book and DVD are real value for money,especially if in the UK with the exchange rate. My book arrived from across the pond in what must surely be a record. I ordered PM on Thursday 8th and it arrived Tuesday 13th AM. Well done the Postal service, (and Larry of course). Just waiting for the coins and card for Time Tunnel to come back in stock now as I'm looking forward to using my Time Tunnel.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Some news:
Thanks for the positive review. I was recently in Paris and the dollar is taking a beating against the Euro there. The good news is that people that are buying my books and apparatus from outside the US are getting a very good deal because of the favorable exchange rate.

I just added two new colors to the velvet rope stock I'm carrying. You can now get 48 inch lengths in the following colors: Red, White, Blue, Yellow.

http://www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky/pricelistkotr3.html

These are ropes that I use for Wedding Ring Redux and can also be used for other rope effects like my Comedy Rope and Ring Routine. The yellow and blue colors are new and in limited quantity. I can give you a quote on other lengths other than 48 inches if you prefer.

Larry

Posted: Nov 24, 2007 3:55pm
Update and correction:

The yellow velvet cord is now sold out.

The "blue" velvet cord is actually purple when viewed in strong light. It looks dark blue to me, but I'm a bit color blind. For those who ordered the blue and are unhappy with the purple I will exchange it for red or white or refund your money and shipping as well both ways.

Larry

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 7:53pm
One more update:

I expect to have the Time Tunnel Kits available for shipping in the first week of December (hopefully Dec 1).

I've made FIVE Dice/No Dice Kits in a limited edition. This is the appartaus used in chapter 4 of KOTR. It comes with Five 1-inch dice, the gaffed dice box, the gaff, and a velveteen pouch. These cannot be reserved. Payment in full is required. For more info and a photo of the props go to:

http://www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky/pricelist7.html

Larry

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 4:58pm
More news:

The Time Tunnel Kits are back in stock.

Eight kits were made and one was just sold today. If you reserved one of the Time Tunnel Kits, please send payment since they are selling out fast once again.

http://www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky/kotr6.html

Best,

Larry
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
Received the book yesterday and had a chance to peruse it last evening. I am so happy that you wrote this book! I've not had an opportunity to view the DVD, but I value a well-written, detailed book full of fantastic routines. There aren't many of them. I can tell that this will be a treasured volume in my library, a book to go back to again and again. I also appreciate the way you broke every effect down into its various components, letting the reader know exactly which sleights will be necessary and then providing an easy-to follow step-by-step recap of the vital moves at the effect's conclusion.
Well, I could go on. Suffice it to say I am a happy customer. Buy the book. If you like quality magic, you will love it.
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
This is the remainder of my review of Kingdom of the Red:

Ch. 20, Three Lesson Monte: This is Larry’s favorite packet trick. I think it may become mine as well. It’s a magician vs gambler plot that we’re all familiar with but the storyline makes this a powerful piece of entertainment. Basic card moves are assumed and one new move is taught (easy to learn). One thing I’ve noticed about effects in this book and this is no exception is attention to the rhythm or pacing of the effect perfectly synchronized with the patter. At the end, each line of the script is said on a beat so as to emphasize the magic the spectator is seeing unfold. Highly recommended.

Ch. 21, Urokinase: This is an oil and water on steroids! Or more properly on Urokinase. Black cards are blood platelets and red card are red blood cells. Only 4 reds and 4 blacks used. The moves are so smooth (watch him teach it on the DVD) and the script entertaining and educational. Each phase makes logical sense in the narrative and the climax is a real surprise and quite baffling. The step by step synopsis at the end of the chapter again makes learning and rehearsing this wonderful routine a breeze.

Ch. 22, V-Cut: A unique one handed cut nicely shown in the book and taught on the DVD. This cut can be done partly upside down too.

Ch. 23, Wedding Ring Redux: Another professional caliber routine spoken in verse. All you need is a ring and a rope. Unlike many ring and rope routines you never thread the ring onto the rope. The rings just appears and melts on and off the rope. This is performed and then explained on the DVD. However the photos and descriptions in the book are excellent and really all you need. This is a perfect effect for strolling and has excellent angles. A real gem.

Ch. 24, Xanthomorphic Coins: This is the only effect in the book which requires knowledge of moves from 21st Century Coin Mechanics. It’s a Wild Coin type effect with a clever script. Coin wizards will enjoy this one.

Ch. 25, You Do As I Do With My Dough: A long name for a card trick. You and the spectator counts cards and bet money. You always win despite the most fair procedures. A kicker at the end where a card penetrates through a stack of bills that were bet is very puzzling and unexpected. You’re left clean at the end with no extra cards. Very clever routining.

Ch. 26, Zero Sum Game: A packet effect with five cards which can be done in the hands which is great for the strolling magician. Three phases, very quick, and the magic happens in the spectators hands in the last phase. No table needed and a storyline that is unique.

Ch. 27, All Heads Up: This is the first of two bonus effects with coins. This takes almost no skill since it is self working. You’ll need a flat surface to work on and about a dozen quarters which can be borrowed. I tried it on myself and it fooled me the first time I did it. You’ll definitely use this.

Ch. 28, Backhand Coin Change: The second bonus effect with coins. This will require some practice. A silver dollar changes into a Chinese coin with a hole in it. A three way change is also taught. Well executed and taught on the DVD although the text and photos are more than adequate to learn this from the book.

That’s my review. In all, a superb book packed with original professional level material, explained accurately with high quality photos and well written text. The DVD is a nice addition although everything can be learned from the book alone. You’ll also be pleased with the very high quality of the printing, paper, and binding of this book.

BJ
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Three Lesson Monte has killed for me so far! I really can't wait until some other tricks are ready for prime time.

I just got Larry's 21st Century Coin Mechanics, and it's truly worthy of your attention. There's some awfully pretty and convincing vanishes and changes, and some killer routines. A bunch of these sleights are going into my routines.

Two of my best "magic" purchases ever.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Kingdom of the Red- Book/DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL