The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Chinatown Half set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
I would like to request a your insights on the Chinatown Half effect. I saw the description of the effect of this coin set and got intrigued.
Here are some of the things I would like to know:

1.) Is the effect suitable for walkaround magic (no table required)?
2.) Are the angles on performing this effect friendly to the performer?
3.) Is the coin set versatile like and expanded shell where I could use it in a variety of effects?
4.) Is the Chinatown Half effect strong to the spectator's point of view?
5.) Are the coins examinable at the end?
6.) Is the Chinatown Half set worth the purchase?

Thanks for those who will reply. I've been considering this item for a long time.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi George,
1. My handleing Is. 2.Agen depends on the routine. 3. Yea I would say so.
It's somewhat Like A C./S. coin. But the hole makes it look nice! 4. Agen depends on the routne! 5. See No. 4. Yes I would say so! OK hope this helps!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
876 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
I have a routine that I use very much and has stood the test of time. It uses the china town half set, an expanded shell, and a jumbo chinese coin to match the smaller one included with the set.I do this as walk around and the angles are very good if you proform it correctly. If interested E-mail me and I will share the routine with you. PT
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
George, the Chinatown Half is a gaff which permits copper-silver tricks using a Chinese coin which has a hole in it. How you use that gaff is up to you. To real people really care... maybe in that the Chinese coin is more unusual than the English coin. Now if you are having one made... you might want to ask them to go "all the way" and use my name in that request. There are advantages to being able to see through the hole. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
George, the Chinatown Half is a very versatile gaffed coin and would be a good investment.

There are some good sugestions in Bobo's "Modern Coin Magic" for its use. David Roth also has a video, "Ultimate Coin Magic, Volume 1," with plenty of ideas and handling for this coin, click HERE for more info. The effect does not necessarily need a table and the angles are fine. In my experience, it is a very strong effect, primarily because of the hole feature.

Although the coin is not examinable, a simple Shuttle Pass will allow you to switch it for one that is.

I understand that some manufacturers of this coin make a version that will allow you to "customize" the center hole to your own requirements. These coins will also require a bang ring and are more expensive than the standard ones, but you might want to look into it.

For a standard Chinatown Half, it's tough to beat the Johnson Products version, which is nicely made and very durable. Click HERE for more info. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
A Chinatown Half from Johnson is what I'm considering. I like the look of the Chinese coin with it and I'm planning to get extra chinese coins to go with the set. Smile
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
876 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Quote:
On 2007-10-01 22:02, GeorgeSantos wrote:
A Chinatown Half from Johnson is what I'm considering. I like the look of the Chinese coin with it and I'm planning to get extra chinese coins to go with the set. Smile
I can get you a good price on johnson products . Just pm me and let me know what your interest are.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
A new oriental coin Japanese/ US half version of a a coin created by Ron Dayton; has been crafted by Nakashima Kengo, and routined by Dr, Sawa WAtch for its availability from Kresis Magic soon THe coin set is in a word, Beautiful. Will cost about 2,000 Yen ( just under $18 US

Great lead-in to a China Town Half routine. Keeping the theme of things asian
James Stob
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of James Stob
I don't know how much can be said in an open forum, but at one time certain models were easier to "change" than others. For that reason, I always preferred the Sterling model over Johnson. I hope that makes some sense.

Oh, if you can get your hands on the Ken Brookes' routine - it is excellent. I don't know if it is in either of his books.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
The Sterling Chinatown Half was one of the "change" ones I was thinking of. I had a chance to buy one a few years ago and didn't -- bummer! But the Johnson version is certainly very serviceable -- just not quite as versatile. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
George:

I use the Todd Lassen Chinatown “Half” in the Silver Dollar size and love to work with it. I notice that you pay homage to David Roth and would like you to know that I use his “envelope” routine. I only use it as a sit down at table presentations and find it very strong with people that want to get very close to what you are doing.

The Todd Lassen set I have permits me to change the center of the Chinese coin is seconds using the included bang ring. This came in very handy one time when I had to find some window envelopes on the road and all I could find was Blue envelopes. This “bang ring” model permits me to “show” a silk, envelope, or human hand (find your completion in any magazine) to “prove” the hole.

To answer your specific questions:
1. The David Roth routine (envelope) would not be very easy to do without a table.

2. I find no angle problems doing his routine.

3. I keep the set independent from my other coins and in pristine condition.

4. I have found it to be very strong, especially to the thoughtful type of spectator.

5. The Lassen coins are so interesting to people that I allow them to inspect the coins before and after the routine. There is an extra coin in play with my presentation with a s***ch made
when I get the folded envelope out of my shirt pocket.

6. I consider it to be one of my best investments in coins.

Bob
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2007-10-06 09:00, James Stob wrote:
I don't know how much can be said in an open forum, but at one time certain models were easier to "change" than others. For that reason, I always preferred the Sterling model over Johnson. I hope that makes some sense.

Oh, if you can get your hands on the Ken Brookes' routine - it is excellent. I don't know if it is in either of his books.

Paul Diamond used to sell a complete set of "Asian Washers" that consisted of the changeable Asian coin, a regular half with a hole to match the hole in the Asian coin, a non-gimicked Asian coin and an Asian coin without a hole. I THINK it was called the Mandarin Coin. A set pops up on the Big Auction from time to time...

Julie
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
876 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Chck Items for sale . I have some great prices on Johnson coins.
MikeMgc
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of MikeMgc
I like to do an extended routine with the Chinatown Half, that starts with the Roth Table routine using the Handkerchief I perform this is as a far as the silver coin travelling to the other hand, then I perform the envelope routine and then drop back into the Roth Table routine for the final phase where the silver coin travels back into the Handkerchief.
MikeMgc
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of MikeMgc
I do mainly Parlor performances and so generally always use a table which is required for the two Roth routines.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Chinatown Half set (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL