The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism with a memorized deck (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Quote:
On 2007-10-10 09:42, David Numen wrote:
I did the same thing with tarot a few years ago after Joe Riding released the idea using only the minor cards and the Si Stebbins set-up - I've got a good clip of me doing a reading like this for a presenter on radio and it plays very very strong.

As you know, I only do readings with regular cards, but using the approach with a mem deck is indeed very strong. It provides a context for the card calling effect.
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1130 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Quote:
On 2007-10-09 10:53, JasonLinett wrote:
I'm sure there are others, but Angelo Stagnero was recently seen selling a pack of 52 cards with 13 different symbols repeated in four different colors. The idea being that you could duplicate any memorized deck routine but end with "You're thinking of a blue house" rather than "You're thinking of the two of spades." It gets away from it being a card trick.

I offer no links, but I'm sure some quality time on Google can get you some leads. PM me if you want his e-mail address.

Actually, the first person to come up with this idea is Sean Taylor of Australia with his Symbology Deck. Seans deck uses the Boris Wild marking system and comes with a booklet of very good effects. The deck is also housed in a passable ESP testing card box.

Just wanted to mention this as I feel Sean deserves the credit for this one.

Cheers,
Al Straker
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
Mesaboogie
View Profile
Special user
804 Posts

Profile of Mesaboogie
When it comes to memorised decks Simon Aronsons 'Twice as hard' is hard to beat.
2 people cut to a card, remember it, then replace their cuts fairly, they square the deck. They each name a number and you deal down and their cards fall at their numbers.
The method is genuis, in fact, for most, the performer won't really understand how ot works. The effect should be an all time classic.
Highly recommended indeed.
TheMindReader.co.uk

Everyday, in everyway, I am becoming better and better
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I just updated my MemoryEffects.PDF file. If you look in the "covert use of memory technique" section, you'll find plenty of mentalism routines that use a memorized deck.

(The PDF is only a reference, however. It will show you where to find routines. It will not reveal the secrets themselves.)
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Mesaboogie, Twice as Hard sounds interesting. What book it this in?

edh
Magic is a vanishing art.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I really like Doug Dyment's QuickStack.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2007-10-13 17:10, Parson Smith wrote:
I really like Doug Dyment's QuickStack.
Peace,
Parson

I am with you Parson.I am very close to knowing it cold,but until I do I can still perform some nice effects.It was oh so easy to learn the basic stack.

Rich
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2007-10-09 09:34, BrianMillerMagic wrote:
My personal favorite is Max Maven's Ancient Las Vegas Pulse Reading.

can anybody say where can this be found?
TJ
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2007-10-19 18:20, teejay wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-10-09 09:34, BrianMillerMagic wrote:

TJ

It's in a few of his lecture notes including Card Tricks for those that don't like card tricks and some for those who do.

You can also find my take on it by going to Osterlind's website and following the thread on the ODDS effect.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2007-10-12 21:48, edh wrote:
Mesaboogie, Twice as Hard sounds interesting. What book it this in?

edh

Twice as Hard is in Try The Impossible, by Simon Aronson. Make sure you have the memorized deck down cold, as the additional mental work in Twice as Hard can be a bear.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
BrianMillerMagic wrote:
[/quote]

TJ
[/quote]

It's in a few of his lecture notes including Card Tricks for those that don't like card tricks and some for those who do.
You can also find my take on it by going to Osterlind's website and following the thread on the ODDS effect.
Greg
[/quote]

Greg
Thanks for that
TJ
davidlai308
View Profile
Veteran user
Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia
376 Posts

Profile of davidlai308
I ran through the thread and saw that there was no mention of Bob Cassidy's work? You can see Bob demonstrating his memorized deck routine in his DVD Mental Miracles . It was his show's closer .

Besides that , Tony Buzan has a whole chapter in memorizing full deck of cards in his book `Use Your Memory '.

-David
An entrepreneur by day , a magician by night . Satiate my mind & you've won my heart .
www.superhumanz.online
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Scott thanks for the information. I do have the stack down cold.
Magic is a vanishing art.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
David wrote:
Quote:
I ran through the thread and saw that there was no mention of Bob Cassidy's work? You can see Bob demonstrating his memorized deck routine in his DVD Mental Miracles ...

The referenced performance is not a memorized deck routine; it is Bob's version of a George Sands effect.

Trivia alert: the two audience assistants for this routine (which was recorded at a PEA convention) are Marc Salem and I.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
JasonLinett
View Profile
Loyal user
Alexandria, VA
202 Posts

Profile of JasonLinett
Quote:
On 2007-10-23 11:43, ddyment wrote:
Trivia alert: the two audience assistants for this routine (which was recorded at a PEA convention) are Marc Salem and I.

But how can you two be traced to Kevin Bacon?
davidlai308
View Profile
Veteran user
Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia
376 Posts

Profile of davidlai308
Wat, the guy was you?/=)
An entrepreneur by day , a magician by night . Satiate my mind & you've won my heart .
www.superhumanz.online
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Easy

Also a member of the organization is Banachek. Banachek is connected with the show Phenomena which airs this week on NBC. NBC also owns the SCIFI channel, and SCI FI has aired Kevin Beacon's movie, HOLLOW MAN.
JasonLinett
View Profile
Loyal user
Alexandria, VA
202 Posts

Profile of JasonLinett
Quote:
On 2007-10-23 14:15, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Easy

Also a member of the organization is Banachek. Banachek is connected with the show Phenomena which airs this week on NBC. NBC also owns the SCIFI channel, and SCI FI has aired Kevin Beacon's movie, HOLLOW MAN.

Nice move.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
But how can you two be traced to Kevin Bacon?

Speaking of memory work and 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon...

;)
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Tony, how many avatars do you have? I see you like to change them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism with a memorized deck (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL