The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Perfect Wonder Pens (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
My ideal pen of this type would be:

1) able to be used to write
2) do the penetration (a good STRONG magnet)
3) be handed for inspection (the SAME pen - no switch)

Is there such an animal?

Is Wonder Pen-e-tration what I'm looking for?
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
You can try John Cornelius's Perfect Pen or Richard Raven's Voodoo Pen (comes with video). The Voodoo Pen has the same gimmick as Wonder Pen-e-tration. I'd prefer The Voodoo Pen.
Bernard Sim
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
James,

I believe the Cornelius Perfect pen will be your perfect pen--it meets the requirements you've listed.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
If you want to make your pen stronger, check out this link:

http://www.wondermagnet.com/dev/magnets.html

I recommend #16.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Gavin W
View Profile
New user
UK
68 Posts

Profile of Gavin W
Another vote for the "Cornelius Perfect Pen"

I've had mine about 2 years now, and love it just as much now as when I first got it, I take it with me everywhere. Smile AAaaahhhhhh

BTW: This is totally off topic, but from the above mentioned web site try out "Item #47" small and cheap enough to put in anything.

Try cigarettes, just put them near the filter, so you can smoke them, then once you've finshed, make them move about in the ashtray. Smile

(That is, if like me your silly enough to smoke)
:rolleyes:
Gary Alford
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gary Alford
My vote is for Wonder Pen - can be immediatley handed out without switch. I would be very wary of handing out 'pefect pen' as many people will get the gimmick!
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Quote:
On 2002-02-14 01:22, Bernard Sim wrote:
You can try John Cornelius's Perfect Pen or Richard Raven's Voodoo Pen (comes with video). The Voodoo Pen has the same gimmick as Wonder Pen-e-tration. I'd prefer The Voodoo Pen.

Why not support the original and buy Wonder Pen-a-tration? It was the first of that style, any others are generally knockoffs.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2002-02-14 08:54, Gary Alford wrote:
I would be very wary of handing out 'pefect pen' as many people will get the gimmick!

In several years of performing this regularly, I've never had anyone find the gimmick. Of course, I put a lot of time and effort into taking the heat off of the pen in the first place, and laymen typically feel that if you are letting them handle something, it must not be tricky! Bottom line: If you don't sweat it, they won't consider it important. If you don't believe in it, they may very well suspect it! True of most stuff in magic, gaffed or not!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
I have a Wonder Pen-a-tration and I love it. It is so disarming because it looks just like an ordinary plastic ball-point pen. Also, it can literally last you forever because you can put in new ink tubes when the ink runs out.

The concern about the spectators finding out what the gimmick is, is true for all the pens. If you let most people sit down and analyze the pen for an hour they will most likely find out what the secret is. They could be wearing something magnetic that attracts the pen, or the steel part of the cap will stick to the end of the pen, or they will realize that the pen is a little
"different".

But all those variables don't apply when your performing, because when the trick is over you put the pen away and go on to the next trick or the next table. There is no time to examine the pen, and if you're doing the trick correctly, the focus is not on the pen.

I like to hand them the pen before the trick starts and tell them to sign the bill "to make sure I don't switch it".

This accomplishes two things:

1- they use the pen to write their name and therefore never even think twice about whether the pen is real or not. Plus, they have no idea what I'm about to do, so there is no heat on the pen.

2- I put emphasis on the bill by saying
"make sure I don't switch the bill".
Now all eyes are on the bill and the pen is totally safe from scrutiny. I then proceed to penetrate the bill, rip the pen out, heal the bill, secretly "fix" the pen and casually show it in hands, then put it away and walk away. If they insist on seeing the pen I let them examine it for a few seconds and then put it away.

Mission Accomplished. Smile
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Quote:
On 2002-02-15 03:14, cardguy wrote:
Also, it can literally last you forever because you can put in new ink tubes when the ink runs out.

Not many people seem to realize this, but you can also refill the rollerball-type pens when they run out. Just pull the end off, take out the "ink thingy" with a pair of tweezers (I don't know what it's called, but it's basically a cylindrical piece of fibrous substance soaked in ink), and replace it with one from a new pen. Doesn't have to be the same brand of pen, they all work the same way. This can be kind of messy, but it beats spending $15 on a new one.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1354 Posts

Profile of bekralik
Does anybody have all 2 or 3 versions of this pen and can do a real analytical comparison? I own the Voodoo Pen and I think it's great for my purposes. I'll admit I was looking at the Cornelius Pen as well; and I've never seen the Wonder Pen in my magic store haunts. The Pen-Thru-Anything also has a video out -- how much value-added is that? Do they show you how to put it on your tongue or something and look like you've pierced it?

In terms of which one to buy ... I think the products are sufficiently different and improved upon not to 'feel guilty' about not buying the 'original'. Who's the say what's original, anyhow? You could probably go back to some old manuscript from the 1920's and find the Wonder Pen idea is from there. If an item isn't 100% identical to a subsequent product, I'd go with the improved version. Both the original creator and the people who take an existing product and improve it, should be rewarded for their efforts. Progressive capitalism.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I have and use a wonder pen. I have used and examined both the Cornelius Perfect Pen and a few of the other wonder pen knock offs.

You can hand out the perfect pen for examination but the gimmick may be discovered. When I first examined the perfect pen, I found the gimmick in about 3 seconds. I have also had two people take my wonder pen apart trying to find a gimmick. This is not possible with the perfect pen.

I also like the wonder pen because, as mentioned earlier, it is easily refillable (which the other knock offs aren't) and it is probably the most common type of pen out there.

I think the biggest factor in buying the wonder pen is that the handling that is possible with it is far superior to that of the perfect pen. It is a very realistic peneatration and removal. That is the best reason to buy it.

Get the wonder pen-a-tration!
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
James Washer
View Profile
New user
Alabama
95 Posts

Profile of James Washer
Where can you get wonder pen-a-tration?
gio
View Profile
Loyal user
Genova - Italy
247 Posts

Profile of gio
You can find Wonder Pen-A-Tration here: http://www.magictricks.co.uk/prodshow.asp?code=239

Gio
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The wonder pen can be purchased at Denny and Lee's or at the Earths Largest Magic Shop. Probably less shipping than the UK source.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
gio
View Profile
Loyal user
Genova - Italy
247 Posts

Profile of gio
Ehm... yep... I didn't consider the geographical source of the question Smile

Gio
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use Empire's Magic Pen Penetration, a fairly popular item at magic shops in the States. You have to be sure to do the sideways rip in a way that minimizes friction. This is easy with practice. It meets all of the criteria. It's easy and can be thoroughly examined.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Okay, I've seen three of the four, and a good friend has seen the one that I haven't.

Perfect Pen: Good idea, classy looking pen, no extra parts. Personally, I don't like the move to lock it at the end, I think the Wonder Pen-a-tration is cleaner, despite having a tiny piece to be stolen off. One nice plus is that you can use the "rip gaff" with this pen without needing any extra pieces.

Empire: Cheap knock-off of Wonder Pen-a-tration. Not as nice looking, and the gaff to be stolen off is much larger. Not at all recommended

Wonder Pen-a-tration: Terriffic, not too expensive, you cleanly steal off one tiny gaff and it's examinable, no switch. The first of the no-switch pens that works on this principle.

Voodoo Pen: Identical to Wonder Pen-a-tration, but Wonder Pen-a-tration was first. I'll refrain from making specific comments about Mr. Raven, but if you do some research on eBay and various online lists and groups about his sales of books/manuscripts/notes, you'll see why I'm in no rush to do business with him (or just ask our own Bob Cassidy, who has personal experience with Mr. Raven over the last month or so).

In short, if you like Perfect Pen, it's the way to go. If you can live with a more casual looking pen (not the classy gold and silver colored metal) go for the Wonder Pen-a-tration, it's quite clean.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
The Wonder-Pen-a-tration uses a black Papermate pen. It's very unsuspicious, especially if you focus on the bill and treat the pen as an afterthought, kind of patting your pockets and searching for something to use offhandedly. No one seems very interested in inspecting the pen when I do the effect, though they have agonized over the bill quite a bit.

Actually, I kind of wish they would at least take a quick look at the pen. Maybe I'll try the idea of having them sign the bill. Yeah!
Smile
alan
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Marvelous
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of Marvelous
I like the Perfect Pen when I'm a little dressed up,and the Wonder-Penatration when I'm in a more casual or relaxed setting. Both work GREAT!!! I believe atmosphere is just as essential to one's presentation as the props one uses,BUT if I had to make a choice I'd go with the Perfect Pen.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Perfect Wonder Pens (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL