We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Walter Sheppard Builder (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sobrien
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of sobrien
Anyone know of him? How would you rate the quality of the items he made?
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Walter was a fantastic magic builder, performer and dear friend. He is a huge loss to the magic community.

Matthew
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1668 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Walter was one of my closest friends, he taught me how to build his way. No one put as much time and care into there props .. no one. From time to time you'll see one of his pieces on ebay and you can bet it's going to be beautiful. Most of the props wound up on the shelves of collectors. I have quite a few of his pieces from over the years, they are like my text books .. I look to them when I get stuck on a project.

He was always as close as my phone .. he changed my life. I'll never forget him .. he was one of a kind ...

Steve
mydogripper
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
183 Posts

Profile of mydogripper
There is a Walt Sheppard catalog in eBay...
http://www.MerrittAmbrose.com
2011 Greater Atlanta Magician of the Year
Magic1962
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Magic1962
I know that this is REALLY late, but I new Walt Sheppard very well. I have MANY of his platform illusions... doves to bunny, square circle, where'd the bunny go , balloon to dove and dove vanish. He was a FANTASTIC builder and a FANTASTIC friend! We really lost someone when he passed away last year...

Magically,

Dave
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
Joining this late also. I new Walt and have many of his props (niteclub table, square circle, dove to rabbit, where does the dunny go, doves in balloon, bunny in balloon. There will never be another Walt.

Cris
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
Sorry for the typos. I'm performing the "Where does the Bunny Go?" in my avatar to the left. You can also see the Square Circle beind me. Both built by Walt.
donsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of donsmagic
The American Museum of Magic in Marshall Michigan has a number of Walters pieces. I knew him too. I remember him taking his Balloon to Doves and throwing it over my van to show how solid it was built. He also built a number of Mongoose cages for me. Everyone I showed it to wanted one. Wish I would of kept mine!
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
Walt had told me the story about throwing the prop over his van at Abbott's !

Cris
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1668 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Funny .. I heard that one too. To demonstrate how tough his props were he threw one of his "Balloon to Bunny" boxes over the top of his suburban. Apparently it landed without a scratch. I'm not sure how much of that I believe .. but, I'm sure he would have done that.

Back in the day people would sell stuff right out of the back of their cars at Abbott's. It was a fun time .. but, it drove Greg nuts. Understandably he wanted you to buy props in the showroom. These days there are yard sales up and down curiously many contain tables filled with magic apparatus.

Go figure ..

Steve
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1668 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I just got off the phone with Mrs. Sheppard and sure enough it's a true story. She said he wanted to prove a point .. and he did. She told him never to do that again!

You see they worked as a team on and off stage. During the school year they would perform throughout Ohio. During the summer months Walter would build his elaborate props in the shop. Mrs. Sheppard would choose the colors and apply the decals to the finished product. She also did any of the sewing that was required. Their work was unmatched ... just amazing.

When she lost Walter .. she not only lost her husband, she lost her best friend.

Steve
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1864 Posts

Profile of chmara
I have one of the stage square circle rigs that Walt built -- and besides regular show use -- it is a decorative piece in my living room I am sorry I will have to sell to make med & House payments.

At first I thought that $800 would be too much for an elementary prop -- BUT it is worth much more as an example of beauty, portability and elegance.

Walt's decorations were impeccable and hardy -- not quite as detailed as Okito-Nielsen but just as beautiful.
Each piece was practical too --- often using common (replaceable) hardware for hinges and locks.

He and his work are missed -- and no one has taken his place in the mix of quality finish and rugged design.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
measner magic
View Profile
New user
chicago,il
3 Posts

Profile of measner magic
Does anybody have a Walter sheppard Doves to Rabbit for sale. He made 2 sizes, I would perfer the smaller one (which he did not make a lot of them) but the normal size would be fine as well. Please advise. info@JMmagic.com

Thanks John Measner
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1668 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Persistent aren't we?? John you probably bought and sold more Sheppard equipment than anyone else. See .. I told you that you should have held on to that stuff.

Welcome to the Café ...

Steve
benny boy
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of benny boy
Yep hang on to the Walter Sheppard pieces. I have the Jimmy King Illusion going with my collection of 45 years in magic. But no one seems to care and or are broke. I still buy magic but after 45 years of doing and buying magic not much excites me anymore. I can't wait until I hit 50 post is what I think the rules are. To share my one of a kind book collection to the magic fraternity. Most out of print first edition and signed by Dia Vernon, Marlo, Ross Bertram, Frank Garcia, and all the greats. Everyone will hit the Café for this one of a kind collection. No waste everything hand picked from going to all the lectures. New most have not been read just collected and put on the shelf.This would be for the heavy card and coin man.Plus all the basic knowledge needed in our love for magic.
Walter Sheppard explained his procedure the whole 9 yards on what paint he used,etc. Being with the Woodworkers Guild, Woodcarvers, and the National Guild of Decoupage. Soon to be with the SAPFM Society of American Period Furniture makers. His work will be missed. God Bless. -ben
benny boy
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of benny boy
In re to Chezaday post I remember the days in back of the school selling out of trunk sales with Clair Cummings, " Milky the Clown". That was my claim to fame was to start out of trunk sales up and down the street. I'm a business man too no new books or new DVD's would be sold, only used magic. I would also police the area to make sure. I stood at Mrs. Oldenburgs the first house on Dallas street. I was the only one with a permit to sell then other's wanted to join in on the fun. What I told them was to write me a note that I bought a truck load of magic from you now you work for me, now you can set up. First I talked with Greg Bordner and yes he was against it. Went up against the board members in Colon and they voted in our favor. Now we take up both sides of the street.
Why stand around in between shows. When you can have fun tell stories meet new friends buy used magic and share with all the camaraderie. That is why people came to Abbotts, for out of trunk sales and looking for good deals. Greg didn't seem to understand that.
Well I spoke with John Kennedy the new manager running operations and possible new owner but nothing has been signed. I have great news he said the out of trunk sales behind the school will be back. I can bring in the first year 150 people, then 300, then 500, then 800. Ben wont make all the money it will go around to buy magic and food inside the school. Lets all have fun again. Now the only thing we need is some good acts to follow. Thank you Benz Magical Productions.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7263 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I am sorry I have to diagree. Selling used props is one thing but when people are setting up whole store with pegboard and racks that is not right. Greg spends a lot of money to put on the Get Together. Everyone has piggyback on him for years. From concession stands, book sales, street vendors and yes even other magic shops. Not one penny was offered to him. He makes all the effort, takes all the risks and never got anything back.
Derrek Kennedy is a businessman through and through. He loves magic and loves Colon. He has a lot of plans that will need help of many people to make them all happen. But no one should be piggybacking on his convention and business without compensating him in some way.
As for good acts, I have been there for over 40 years. I think you would be hard pressed to name any year that had a more solid lineup of talent than this years. There was not a bad show in the bunch. Thanks Greg for caring enough to keep this company and Get Together going for so many years. I hope things all work out and we can go another l80 years. I can't promise to be at the next 80 but I sure will try!
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
benny boy
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of benny boy
Hi Huge, My friend tells me that he sells the fine Chinese silks to you. I wanted to buy the business but you can only get what the market bears. Then you would buy from me. I did ask Greg if we could set up behind the school that the vendors would have to purchase a full registration. That would put money in his pocket he declined my offer. I also told ABC magic not to bring any glass display cases. The board frowned on that. If you think we are all getting rich your mistaking my friend. I wish we could make an extra couple dollars extra to pay Greg. But this was a fight to see who would win. Coat tails did not have anything to do with it. That would just get into the mud and the rain and just make a mess. Their is only one God in this town and it is not Greg, sometimes we think we are above the almighty. This is not done for the money it's done for the love of magic, to be with friends and have fun. Asked the Naylor twins Rex and Randy that drove up from Texas with trailer and tent. Weathering out the storm and rain for four days just trying to sell one tie dyed tee shirt that they made. I told them myself I admire what you guys do, no one else would go through the bother. Then I seen them inside Abbotts helping tear down Haines house of cards booth and carrying boxes helping out the gal load them into the van. That's love my friend. Everyone has told us because of vending permits and restrictions that is what killed off colon business. Registration from 600 to 400 at times. The town's people and on the board also agreed we are an asset to Colon and they welcome us with open arms. Now the whole town gets involved with garage sales. Another point that you may have missed is that we would have to pay for the space we rent, just like we do down the street.
As far as the acts Sterlini messing up the multiplying bottles c-mon a monkey could do that act, blindfolded. Hey,get out of magic. Then being pulled off stage for saying he bought them from Fab Magic. He was asked to make the correctness.
I have also talked with Greg about the acts. Must of been your off day you didn't see it. Sperry came on stage spitting on the spectator, with all the blood and the gore kicking toy baby dolls all over the stage.
The couple sitting in front walked out with their little children two boys and one little girl. The father told me I don't want my kids to see this crap. I told him were sorry this is supposed to be a family show. It's sad this is were we are headed for the future of magic entertainment. Greg also said this is what the public likes he was great! So Sad. I'm glad Kennedy has vision and wants all the street vendors back. Your old school my friend you have no vision and your blooms are dated. Don't be so negative look on the bright side. When people sell their old magic they will go inside and buy food and have money to buy new magic. The money will go around. Kind regards, God Bless. Benz Magical Productions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Walter Sheppard Builder (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL