The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Thoughts on income (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Man, a decent home has to be around $250,000!?!? My home is very nice and it was $170,000 - but I could have gotten a nice smaller home for much less than that. But, for those who are financially responsible, now is a great time to buy a home! Unfortunately, I am not looking right now!

I love watching on the news when they show the "mortgage crisis" and they are showing huge expensive houses. People love to buy what they can't afford thinking it will bring happiness, then they are severely disappointed when it doesn't - and I am severely disappointed that I have to pay for their mistakes!

People need to learn the secret of Phillipians 4:10-13.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Consider yourself lucky. It is hard to find a decent house in my area for under 1/2 a mill, with most being in the 700,000 range.

Still, I agree with the Dustin Hoffman comment from back a few posts. I would still be doing this because this is what I love.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Neale,

You know that I was raised as a ranch cowboy and what I always heard was, "If we had a million dollars, we'd just ranch it away!"

Sometimes magic works that way too. Bookings are related to the law of grapes. They come in bunches!

I thought that Canadians were exempt from the mortgage problems of the USA. Please don't copy us. Try to win instead.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I gotta say that buyers in this market will do very well.

Not sure who is at fault for the whole thing, but it is a MESS to say the least. On this I hope EVERYONE can agree at least. For sure nobody will agree on how the heck to get out of it, or if it is natural correction. Tough pill to swallow, when you are the one being naturally corrected isn't it?

I just hope we get out of it soon. For everyone's sake.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Combined with the rest of the economic mess makes for next year to be much much better!
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
I got a friend ask me how much does a full time magician earns. I'd presume professional and perhaps those famous ones can possibly make a fortune.

I reckon magic is an art that I enjoy the process, that's in performing and the outcoem it bring. Just my thought
Best Regards,

Bob
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I was sitting around with a bunch of artists and performers the other night who were !@#$%ing about how you can't make a living being a performer. I told them I had just written and invoice for $13,000.

I had lunch with some friends the next day who were saying they envied the fact that I 'never worked' but was 'loaded'. I told them I had made $400 this week BEFORE expenses and worked a 50 hour week.

We can paint the picture anyway we want but, at the end of the day, if we can't pay our bills or meet our obligations, we are just ****ing in the wind!

The only person who REALLY knows how succesful I am is my accountant.
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
Good Point Nicholas!

I only know few fellow magician that goes full time, all I know it that their parents is loaded hence he doesn't have to look after their parents or what so ever and can just go out and perform for fun (as well as living).

The fact I really want to know from other full time or pro magician. Can you really amke a living pay the bills with this career?

I don't do much paid shows these days so I dunno the market.

Nichloas, this question might sound silly as I know it varies. In general, how much can oneself expect to earn per annual becasue I presume the booking is kinda seasonal.

Thanks
Best Regards,

Bob
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
The advantage of being self employed is that there is no limit to your income.

Learn about business first, magic and mentalism later.

GH
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Mrmuji. to answer your question, yes. I have been full time in the business for 10 years and part time for 2 years before that. The only time I had any trouble was right after 9/11 when NOBODY was going anywhere, so I took a part time job for one month before I went back performing full time.

As Gerry said, there is no limit but you MUST know about business methods first.

Peter "Paddy"
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2008-08-10 22:07, mrmuji wrote:
Good Point Nicholas!

I only know few fellow magician that goes full time, all I know it that their parents is loaded hence he doesn't have to look after their parents or what so ever and can just go out and perform for fun (as well as living).

The fact I really want to know from other full time or pro magician. Can you really amke a living pay the bills with this career?

I don't do much paid shows these days so I dunno the market.

Nichloas, this question might sound silly as I know it varies. In general, how much can oneself expect to earn per annual becasue I presume the booking is kinda seasonal.

Thanks

If you are good at what you do an put in the hard yards, you can expect to make a slightly above average wage. perhaps the same as middle managment.

However, every market differs and every magician is different.
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
It might be stange to disclose my profile but I m a "youngster" who help my parents running the business. Get about £20000 before tax (£15000 after tax) and ALMOST NO EXPENDITURE as I work and live from home, so all goes to plain saving if I dun buy much props and DVDs.

I do wonder if starting to become a full time I'd get the same income ish. However I do understand I will have to keep upgrading into new effects and spend more on buying refills etc, as well as petrol and all that.

My thought is perhaps do more shows so that people know such guy "exist" before taking it as a career.

Magic is a very fun hobbie, as well as a challenging career if taking it pro. Also the ability and reputition counts too.

Any recommendation and thoughts?

Cheers,
Bob
Best Regards,

Bob
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Hi - I mooched off mum and dad until I was 17 even though I started doing paid shows from the age of 10!

A few questions...

How many shows do you do per week?
How much do you charge?
How big is your market?
What's the competition like?
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
Thanks Nichalos,

You hitted me right on the head!

The answer would be no where near what you can imagine and perhaps being an amature doing ocassional show is more ideal.

To be honest, I haven't thought about how to market myself. So, perhaps £50 per show for a an hour can just give me performance experience but not as income support.

I always think, being a full time magician can only survive if you win some competition and have a bit reputition and this way will going more pro.

What I said might be wrong but that's what I thought.
Best Regards,

Bob
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Bob,

With all due respect, before you launch yourself into the performance business, let me offer you some beginning advice. Get a spell checker on your posts.

If you do not proof your posts for spelling, how do you expect to prepare marketing materials?

As with my previous post. Learn the art of business first, the art of magic later.

Gerry
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Musst bee whi I am not boking many giggs dis munth. Smile
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
You can own a pizza shop and make $50 to $70 grand a year or you can turn it into a multimillion dollar business like Pizza Hut and Domino Pizza.

You can be a painter and sale your art work for $100 dollars a piece or create a name for yourself and sale it for $10,000 a piece.

This line of thinking is same for magic you can make $10,000 a year or make $$$$$ a year.... Your choice!

:)
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2008-08-13 22:51, Gerry Hennessey wrote:
Bob,

With all due respect, before you launch yourself into the performance business, let me offer you some beginning advice. Get a spell checker on your posts.

If you do not proof your posts for spelling, how do you expect to prepare marketing materials?

As with my previous post. Learn the art of business first, the art of magic later.

Gerry

I only wish that when I was starting out there was someone to temper my enthusiasm for magic with nitpicking about my poor spelling in a casual forum.
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

You hitted me right on the head!

The answer would be no where near what you can imagine and perhaps being an amature doing ocassional show is more ideal.

To be honest, I haven't thought about how to market myself. So, perhaps £50 per show for a an hour can just give me performance experience but not as income support.

I always think, being a full time magician can only survive if you win some competition and have a bit reputition and this way will going more pro.

What I said might be wrong but that's what I thought.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is nitpicking? The young man in question asked for and received guidance.

GH
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
It's ok guys, I understand my own problem and Gerry just pointing it out.

Having English as a second languageis quite tough, all I can do is to spend more time to improve it. This is perhaps the same as sleight of hand, practise makes perfect.

Thanks you Nicholas and Gerry.

Bob
Best Regards,

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Thoughts on income (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL