The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » El Duco Card Sword (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

beguna
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of beguna
Anyone own or familiar with an El Duco Card Sword? Just bought one used on ebay and the supplied "tip" consists of part of an aluminum rivet. Given the overall beauty of the sword I presume the seller lost the real tip and substituted the rivet. He claims it is original. Instructions make it impossible to tell for sure. El Duco has not answered my email requesting the cost/availability of a replacement tip (the sword is no longer available). Before I send it back to the seller I would like to confirm the obvious that this is not the original tip. Thank you for your help.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
21753 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Send a PM to Wolf. It seems he know about it: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=4077373
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Beguna, I am very familiar with the El Duco Card Sword. I have owned one for years and it is a real nice sword. Except, that is for one thing. The tip originally supplied is garbage. The most important part of the sword and it's garbage. At this moment I am looking at my broken tip which came with the sword and yes it looks something like a rivet. It broke in no time after my original purchase from Joe Stevens. Thankfully it broke in practice and not in performance. I came up with the IDEAL solution. If you are interested in hearing more enter another post. I will look back in a day or two and give you a full description if you are interested. It is a little lenghthy but well worth it.
beguna
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of beguna
Thank you for you response. Wolf was going to check his huge selection of card swords to see what tip he had for his El Duco card sword. I would be interested in what you are using. Wolf hasn't gotten back to me yet on the El Duco but he did say that he often replaces tips with chrome or stainless steel sections from better ballpoint pens.
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
I'd have to see that tip you describe as an aluminum rivet but it certainly sounds like the original tip. Pretty shabby on such a gorgeous sword. Anyway after my original tip broke I stumbled on Wolf's idea (which I thought was my idea) of the tip off a ballpoint pen. The tip I use looks to be stainless steel. It is not shinny and it is short. Which is good, you don't want anything too long, in fact the shorter the better. Anyway the tip I use is threaded inside, so I went to a metal machinist and he made me a tube which has the exact same threading on the outside to screw into the inside of the pen tip. The elastic cord runs out of the sword tip through this threaded tube or column which I had made and then through a very tiny brass eyelet which I believe I picked up at a sewing centre. Two knots are made on the end of the elastic cord. The pen tip is then put over the eyelet and then screwed down onto the threaded tube. A little tail of the elastic cord sticks out of the pen tip which I simply cut off. Now, you are probably wondering why I went to such bother to have this threaded tube made. Well you could just use a pen tip, but how do you conceal your knots on the end of the elastic cord? You can't. You have a bunch of knots sticking out of the hole of the pen tip. Won't that look good! This way the knots are concealed inside the pen tip itself. Anyway the sword works and looks great. I also added a black and gold tassel to the handle, just to dress it up a bit. This little tube I had made was not cheap. I think it cost me around seventy dollars. He started off with a solid block of high grade steel and ended up with this threaded column with a hole through the centre which is just the right size for the elastic to run through. Anyway that's the idea. An questions feel free to ask.
beguna
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of beguna
Very clever. I was thinking that Wolf's pen tip idea would give me an ugly mess of knots showing. You certainly worked a way around that problem. I'm thinking of visiting Lowes or Home Depot and seeing if I can find something in their electrical or plumbing departments that might work similarly to your custom job. Thank you for your details. It is kind of a shame that the makers of the gorgeous swords don't finish the design with a nice tip. Thanks again.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4058 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
What are you using as a replacement for the elastic. I had two of the original ones but one broke. I contacted El Duco a long time ago with no answer. So much for customer service.

Larry
Counting On Deception www.barnowskymagic.com
The Book of Destiny http://www.barnowskymagic.com/bookofdestiny.html
Kingdom of the Red Book and DVD http://www.barnowskymagic.com/kotr1.html
21ST CENTURY COIN MECHANICS www.barnowskymagic.com
beguna
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of beguna
I bought mine used and it came with elastic that looked like a long rubber band material but most people use elastic that is available at fabric stores or arts supply stores like Michaels. It is probably better quality than what came with the El Duco sword.
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Larry the elastic that came with the sword is great. It's a type of elastic cord, has extreme stretch and is very durable. I can't find it anywhere, fabric stores or Michaels. Contacted El Duco just two days ago about getting replacement cord because even though it's good, it won't last forever. El Duco was very prompt at returning my email. But the price - twenty dollars for two replacements. This after spending about seven hundred (exchange rate was very high at the time) on the sword to begin with? I don't think so. Lengthy elastic bands from office depot work well, but they must be fresh. They also have to be examined every so often. If they even APPEAR to be getting aged they must be replaced.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4058 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Thanks beguna and wandboy for the info.

Larry
Counting On Deception www.barnowskymagic.com
The Book of Destiny http://www.barnowskymagic.com/bookofdestiny.html
Kingdom of the Red Book and DVD http://www.barnowskymagic.com/kotr1.html
21ST CENTURY COIN MECHANICS www.barnowskymagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » El Duco Card Sword (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.112532 seconds, requiring 34 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [5] [5] [6] [0] [0] [4] [9]