The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tommy Wonder (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
As a noob, I'm just discovering Tommy Wonder.
I've been watching everything on YouTube.

What an amazing genius and showman. Wow.
What a huge loss to magic.
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
I love Tommy Wonder. I was just watching his cups and balls. Earlier I was thinking "I hate cups and balls, it wouldn't fool anyone." If you think like that, watch his routine. So so so simple no animals just the balls. But so well timed.
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
He was a wonderful performer that was a joy to watch.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
matt kemp
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of matt kemp
Is his cups and balls routine in Books of Wonder Volume One or Volume Two? Is it also on his Visions of Wonder DVDs?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Tommy Wonder does have Cup and Ball rountine in Volume 2 in his Books of Wonder and Volume 1 of his DVD, Visions of Wonder.
Darcy Brown
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
60 Posts

Profile of Darcy Brown
Perhaps a little off-topic, but regardless of which volume contains this routine, both are well worth obtaining. Indeed I would suggest that the other content contributes immeasurably to the success of the individual routine. Mr. Wonder's exploration of attention direction and the creative process stand at the pinnacle of theatrical thinking.

Darcy
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
Tommy Wonder's Cups and Balls routine is outstanding. Studying it will no doubt improve anyone's routine. His misdirection and control of audience attention is masterful. However, to do *his* routine you will have to make some special props that are not available for purchase any longer. He sold them for a brief time years ago.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
You know, we may put too much emphasis on having an 'amazing' routine. I mean, what's amazing to you and I might not be quite so much to a lay person.

I was performing for a group of about 30 this past weekend when that very thought occurred to me. I was doing my combo cup routine which is basically taken from several places. Over the years I've picked up this then that - I think all legitimately from books and lectures and such. Eventually I pieced together my routine - nothing spectacular and any magician would easily be able to follow everything that I do.

But it killed.

Most people have never seen a magician live. When they see one on television his act is quickly discounted. They've been taught that TV isn't real. When they see it in person though, even the simplest routines amaze them.

Of course, not to take anything from Tommy Wonder.
dancingm0nk3y
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of dancingm0nk3y
Yeah, Tommy Wonder was a brilliant magician.

I think a big reason that he is so good is the way that he presents his tricks. He is able to seperate the magic from the magician. I mean, during a lot of his tricks he acts just as astounded as his audience. I think it helps to build a connection with them.

Clay
-- Clay
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
The Books of Wonder have been reprinted so it you were waiting for them to re-appear, no reason to do so, just go out and buy the set.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Hi,

I also love Tommy Wonder. He was a fantastic man. He has a grear Dvd seres called Wision of Wonders. If you like him I think you can get these Dvds and watch him again and again...

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
Xemm
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Xemm
I enjoyed Vision of wonders so much, I even watch it over an over again. He is a genius no doubt about that.

Mitch : What do you mean a huge loss to magic?
the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
Quote:
On 2007-11-03 10:29, Xemm wrote:
I enjoyed Vision of wonders so much, I even watch it over an over again. He is a genius no doubt about that.

Mitch : What do you mean a huge loss to magic?

Hey Xemm,
You should say he "was" a genius." Tommy Wonder passed away a few years ago. He was one incredible performer. He knew how to work the audience to the extreme. I was so impressed to see how well he uses conflict in his performances.

Amazing Guy.

Fraser
I want to go far...
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
I saw a video of him doing an Ambitious Card Routine, and he got a HUGE reaction just by doing it with a simple double lift. He wa an incredible performer. Does anyone know exactly how he died? Cancer?
gardini
View Profile
Regular user
Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
158 Posts

Profile of gardini
He died of lung cancer
dancingm0nk3y
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of dancingm0nk3y
His card in ring box really is amazing.

Clay
-- Clay
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
I love his cups and balls presentation.

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Tommy Wonder designed and developed all of his own repertoire. Tommy Wonder was the stage name of Jacobus Maria Bemelman.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------John Dream------------If you can Dream it, you can Do it!
1317 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Tommy Wonder was a great magician, a great thinker and brilliant inventor but most of all a thru friend always ready to help his fellow magicians. I was blessed to meet him many times at the Magic Art Centre of late Richard Ross. Not only his cups and balls routines are highly recommended but many effects he created are, both Tommy and Richard passed away much to early! Tommy's books 'Books of Wonder' and DVD's 'Visions of Wonder' are from the highest level and highly recommended!!

Best wishes,
Dr. Eamon
Presentation is everything!

If you can Dream it, you can Do it!

The eXtreme SVENPAD Supreme eBook
the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
I love how he creates conflict and makes his effects so that they are almost like problems that he has to overcome. I know that that was one of his plans and it works! His tricks are great.

Fraser
I want to go far...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tommy Wonder (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL