The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2003 entrée: Curtis Kam » » How To Progress » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ken Abbott
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Ken Abbott
Curtis:

Your talent and experience is inspiring. Thank you for the time you are contributing in this forum.

As an intermediate coin worker I am always looking for ways to improve my skills and range of coin effects. As I anticipate the Coinvention, your new DVD, and all of the other coin material out there, it is easy to get overwhelmed. What is you advice to someone who wants to get to the next level? What does it really mean to be an advanced coin worker?

Ken Abbott
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
That's a simple question with any number of answers. Some folks are willing to consider themselves "advanced" just because they own a copy of Modern Coin Magic. Others think it's a point you reach where the other guys stop fooling you all the time.

You identify yourself as "intermediate"--what exactly does that mean?

I suppose we could agree on some landmarks:

1. You realize that the coin's generally not whisked away by some wonderful device, but rather, it's concealed through some rather difficult physical technique. You get over this, and decide to learn the technique.

2. Having encountered several of this sort of techniques, you have chosen an approach that allows yo to learn them. You know what you can do, and how to go about learning what you need. You start carrying coins with you everywhere, and your palms are no longer green, since you bought some silver coins. You have about three routines you can perform confidently on demand.

3. You've studied four books on coin magic, and begin to wonder if there's anything else to it. You now have definite likes and dislikes in technique, and you know what you're looking for in a routine. you've adapted routines for your own use, and people in your office no longer notice when you drop a coin on the floor.

4. You've hunted down a lot of obscure manuscripts, seen some really amazing videos, and now feel confident you know the difference between Back pinch, back clip, and deep back clip. Worse, all this matters to you. You haunt the internet seeking chances to utilize this knowledge. You have lost a total of $40 in coins in your car. You own some Johnson gaffs, and you occasionally play with a coin box.

5. I don't know, beyond that...fill in your own stages, and let me know where you're at. By the time you've done that, I'll bet you'll know where you're going.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
On the magifest weekend, I just reached Number 4. I lost four walking libertys in the van on the way there.

And yet I find this a goal as apposed to a stage of psychosis. Smile

No matter.
Ken Abbott
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Ken Abbott
Curtis:

I don't know if I can articulate the question satisfactorily. But, having reached stage 4 or higher, having seen numerous versions of coins across, copper/silver, 3-fly, and matrix, do you stop searching for the perfect trick an stop looking at new material? (perfecting what you have). Or do you keeping searching withthe hope that if the perfect trick does not come along, you will get new insights and nuances you never thought of before?

Ken Abbott
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Ken, this is a new problem. Back in the day, there was so little published about coin magic that you could decide that you'd simply know everything.

I still find 90% of what's new interesting in one way or another, but there will come a time when you'll be able to say "That's cool, but it's not for me". Sometimes you'll be wrong, and you'll have to play catch up, but the good news is, that's easier, too.

If you're feeling lost, consider Roger Klause's advice. He said you should only work on stuff you're going to use. Makes sense. Focus on the material that fits your skill level and working conditions. Make that stuff perfect. There's only so much time in a day, and perfection at anything generally takes time. If you've got time left over, use it to know everything else. You never know when something might come in handy.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2003 entrée: Curtis Kam » » How To Progress » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL