The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Dark Waltz in Hard copy (58 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Taveren001
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
174 Posts

Profile of Taveren001
I too seem to have the same problem as Godzilla... Did not order one. Dang real life job made me miss my internet browsing to see this opportunity. I will be purchasing the $10 charity raffle ticket(s) in the hopes the spirits are looking out for me.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I received the book this morning and it's absolutely gorgious. I have the original unbinded first edition still in the Surnateum Library.
Bravo!
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
If you haven't bought the old PDF, you now have a reason to do so. I have had a copy of the PDF for years and have MARKED the YELL out of it using ink and yellow highlighter. I DO NOT DARE do that with this hardback book......

Ray
Jiggery-Pokery
View Profile
New user
Scotland
55 Posts

Profile of Jiggery-Pokery
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2015, Magical Dimensions wrote:
If you haven't bought the old PDF, you now have a reason to do so. I have had a copy of the PDF for years and have MARKED the YELL out of it using ink and yellow highlighter. I DO NOT DARE do that with this hardback book......

Ray

A great idea to have a working copy ! - but please remember the two books have a number of differences and you will find the scripts and narratives are very different in some of the language and phrasing.
Invovo legem magicarum
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2015, Jiggery-Pokery wrote:
There are many little errors in the justifying. Try as we may a few orphan words, hyphens and stragglers were in the outcome. There are three different fonts used in the presentation of the material. One for the quotes that set the tone for each new chapter, one for the general writing and one for the narrated scripts. This is intentional and consistent.

As you point out, the formatting errors come from improper justification. For example, in McBride's introduction, in the third paragraph, second-to-last line, there's a gap between the last word 'be' and the right margin. Prof BC's foreword has similar errors.

I haven't gotten much further in the text yet, but the rest appears fine based on a cursory examination.

Having published two books myself, I understand the frustration of proofing and re-proofing a galley, only to find after you've printed a hundred copies, that a few typos have still managed to slip by.

This in no means diminishes the value of the book. It's still a gorgeous piece of work and I'm happy to have it. It was just disconcerting to spot these errors so soon. But trust me, I've read many a published manuscript that were abominations of spelling and grammar (and to some extent, style). I look forward to reading the remainder of the tome over the upcoming weekend.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
dorian_faust
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, California
278 Posts

Profile of dorian_faust
Haven't received my copy yet in San Jose, California, but my post office has always been strange. It's probably stuck in customs or something. But I am very excited for the book and glass.
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
A box containing a bunch of goodies arrived today in the mail from Scotland...and was promptly intercepted and whisked away by my wife...I get to open it in just over one month...

Torture...
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
David, " Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas "
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
David: Will haggis spoil in a month?
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 24, 2015, Winks wrote:
David: Will haggis spoil in a month?

I always assumed it was already spoiled.

If not, it can't really take away from the flavor.

<ducks>
That Creepy Magician
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
Good one.
Jiggery-Pokery
View Profile
New user
Scotland
55 Posts

Haggis in a can has a very long shelf life....
Anyone want some canned haggis ?
Invovo legem magicarum
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
Only if you take some lutefisk in trade.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

I've progressed further into the book, and it is a treat to explore the philosophical workings of how a show is created. Much food for thought, and already my mind is looking at ways to enhance my current show, using the ideas shared in the book. This is definitely going onto my "short shelf" of essential books for the working bizarrist. While I appreciate that this is a limited edition, more folks would benefit from reading the material within to help shape their shows.
That Creepy Magician
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
I completely agree. Priceless and engaging instruction is within the pages. At least the digital version is still available for pretty cheap, and it has the bulk of the info minus some of the additional "limited edition" contributors.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Jennifer, there is a question awaiting you in your PMs

Kotah
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
991 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2015, DocBenWiz wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2015, Jiggery-Pokery wrote:
We will have a charity raffle for one copy of the book in December. Tickets will be $10 a chance - buy as many as you like. The charity will be magic related and is still being decided. 100% of the funds raised will go to the charity.

Will let you know the details next week !

Super....at least a raffle chance raises my hopes of acquiring this. Count me in!
Smile Smile Smile

Will there soon be an update on the charity raffle and chance to buy tickets for the hard copy prize...?
Thanks

Smile Smile
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
Jiggery-Pokery
View Profile
New user
Scotland
55 Posts

Hello gentle friends. Tomorrow I will post the details of the charity raffle of one copy of the Dark Waltz on the web site. www.BizarreMagic.com.
You can buy your tickets there and 100% of the profits will go to the Dai Vernon Fund at the Magic Castle for magicians with medical or hardship needs.
Invovo legem magicarum
CryptKeeper
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of CryptKeeper
The Professor was one of Canada's finest export and there is no better cause than helping people with medical needs. Thanks for having the charity raffle Jiggery-Pokery.
Jiggery-Pokery
View Profile
New user
Scotland
55 Posts

Charity Raffle for 1 Copy of the Dark Waltz ~Arcane Edition
Each ticket is £6.66
Buy as many as you like - each ticket purchased is 1 chance in the hat.
100% of the profits will go to the Dai Vernon Fund at the Magic Castle to help Magicians with medical needs.
Drawing for the prize will be December 23, 2015 - 6 pm Glasgow Scotland.
Winner will be notified via email and published on the web site. The book will be posted out to your address.
Possibly your last chance to acquire your own copy of the Arcane Version ...

Buy your tickets on the shopping page -
www.BizarreMagic.com

Click here to view attached image.
Invovo legem magicarum
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Dark Waltz in Hard copy (58 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL