The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito Coin Box (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
A new, interesting thread... Do you still use an Okito Box, and if so, which ones, and what is your favorite routine?
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I use a Boston box! I have a book of 10 routines on it! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
tajkuri
View Profile
New user
Finland
41 Posts

Profile of tajkuri
I just recently got my hands to it. I use routines from Expert Coin Magic; for example, Out In Out.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I use The Slot Box, as well as The Boston Box. I have my own routines, but if I may suggest....check out Roth's work, as well as Mike Gallo and Mr. Neighbors. Another noteworthy routine is one by Tom Stone.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I use the Okito box, and the favorite routine I do is by Greg Rostami called "Houdini". It combines the use of the Okito box with Scotch & Soda and is a killer routine.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
FRANZIS
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of FRANZIS
Hi,

I use the Okito box from David Roth's Custom set. My favorite routine is the Mohammed Bey routine from the old Tannen's book, a great routine, and also the Ken Brooke one (The Art of Close Up Magic - Lewis Ganson).

Effects are direct in these routines.

For me, the best routine with 4 coins is the Out With Five with Okito from Roth, very clear.

I only perform these 2 routines, since 15 years.

BYE

PS:

A few words to David Neighbors... A friend of mine gave me, last week, the number one of EGO with 3 routines from you. Great, especially the Matrix effect with the handkerchief.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I use an Okito box and a Boston box, both are the "Buddha Boxes" and look identical. These boxes are a precise fit for half dollar size coins, but not big enough for a shell.
I begin with an Okito box routine, during which the spectator sees and handles the Okito box, and in the process sees the smooth bottom of the box.
When I follow this by switching to the Boston box, their brains fall out on the table.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
My favorite Okito box routine is the one by Alex Elmsley in his Collected Works, called The Boston Two-Step:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=4956491

It uses a Boston Box and is a not hard to do, but a very powerful and quick routine.

Larry
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I have the Roth set and currently only do his Triple Change. Rannie does some very cool stuff with these little brass containers, including a ring, string, and coin trick with the Boston box that I have yet to make work for me!
Mick
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
What is Greg Rostami's HOUDINI effect, and where I can learn the effect??
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Great and clever use of those props, Podcastrant....

Yes, I still use boxes... Sometimes, I use both dollar and half dollar sized coin boxes at the the same time.

My favorite is one I have put together using various sources from Bey to Kam. The latter was a 3 for 3 idea.

Lately, I have been playing with using the box as a running thread with things occasionally appearing in the box...such as first it has the Liberty coins...which change to brass washers, and the Liberty coins are found back in the box. Later, Chinese coins are found in the box, and later...___ is found... You get the idea.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Just to be clear, that was Greg Rostami doing his Houdini routine, not me.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Franzis,
Thanks, man! Glad you liked them! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Aristocrat
View Profile
New user
Essex England
49 Posts

Profile of Aristocrat
Ken Brooke's combined routine with an Okito which is nicely switched in half way for a Boston. The FULL routine is called One-Twenty and uses some excellent handling.

It's the best routine EVER with a coin box; these aren't my words, but a quote from OKITO (Theodore Bamberg) himself when Ken performed this in Chicago at a lecture in 1957.

Just the Ken Brooke Okito Box routine was written up by Lewis Ganson, as outlined above. You can see the routine (performed well) by clicking this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcANWmb_TqI

Lewis Ganson also wrote up a similar routine in the Supreme Teach-In Series on the Okito Box in 1978 using a Coin Unique. Although it's basically the same routine, no credit is given to Ken Brooke (maybe because during their Lecture Tour of the USA in 1957, Lewis Ganson died on his *** and Harry Stanley had to put Ken in to recover things)!
Shufton
View Profile
Veteran user
California
316 Posts

Profile of Shufton
Hi Folks,

Here's the one I designed - my favorite! (I love Okito box magic).

http://www.shufton.com/Magic/Okito_Box/okito_box.html

Best to all of you!
Fobulous, Emergency Cash, 3D Paradox, PS-I Love You, X-Ray, The Portal, Ultimate Floating Match, Miracle Premonition... and more!
http://www.shufton.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
A slot Okito Box gives a certain freedom of handling when vanishing a marked coin for a Nest of Boxes presentaion...

Julie
Aristocrat
View Profile
New user
Essex England
49 Posts

Profile of Aristocrat
Julie - you use the slot okito just for a coin vanish?

Don't they ever want to see inside once you make the move/tip it upside down?

If you use the box as a coin vanish, isn't it better to just use a bare hand vanish?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hi Essex

No, just vanishing the coin in your hand is not a good idea. If it's not in one hand, spectator logic is it must be in the other hand...direct movement towards the Nest of Boxes is suspect.

The SLOT version is a special Okito Coin Box that enables you to do "the move" without the need to immediately remove the coin.

You can then shake the coin inside the box after the fact, if you feel the need.

This clean handling with no rush to get possession of the coin is just the extra touch that makes for a clean vanish after introducing the Nest of Boxes.

These little extra nuances in presentration can add so very much to the success of a performance for today's discriminating and all-knowing(?) audiences. Smile

PLUS the little brass "pill" box looks so innocent when compared to a rattle box or other tricky-looking apparatus.

Of course, this is just one approach to a vanish for this effect, but the original question was current uses for the Okito Box.

Julie
Aristocrat
View Profile
New user
Essex England
49 Posts

Profile of Aristocrat
Thanks for clarifying it Julie - I used to use a slot Okito but just felt it looked fake and actually had the slot inside commented upon on a few occasions (in the Ken Brooke Routine, I actually prefer to let the spectator put the coins on the box).

Take your point about the bare hand vanish; but I use a lot of sleeving. Let's be honest, what's the point of showing a vanish of ANY item if you can't show both hands empty!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito Coin Box (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL