The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Full Compression Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Effect/Product- Compression

Creator/Performer- Daniel Lachman

Format- DVD

Price- 15 pounds, approx 25 dollars

Available- http://www.magicshop.co.uk http://www.hocus-pocus.com and very likely other magic retailers

If purchased at magicshop you also recieve a few pens to get you started

Compression:

The ability to compress a bic pen to half it's original size... the pen can be kept as a souvegneir.

DVD:

Before going into the actual effect itself, I'll start by giving my thoughts on the DVD.
The DVD has a running time of approx 50 mins, with a nice clear picture, clear sound, and well shot.
I was honestly expecting a pretty rough DVD, but it turns out that this is actually well done and of good quality.

My thoughts on Compression:

The actual idea itself I think is pretty nifty, and makes for a nice guick visual effect that is totally unexpected.
I know there has been similar effects before, but I do not have those and so can't compare, but permission was granted by Dan Harlan so I'd imagine this is either an improvement, or different in workings.
Anyway, I liked the idea and look of this and so took the plunge.

There is a gimmick involved in the workings of this, and upon watching the DVD, I got all the bits together and got to it... first attempt took me about just over 10 mins, second one just over 5 mins, and now it takes literally a couple of minutes per gimmick.
There is actually 2 gimmicks to construct, though one is a one time sorta thing... well kinda lol, you will need to construct a new one eventually, but each one will last many performances.
Now I followed the steps exactly, but I feel that once you get a feel for it you won't need half the stuff they tell you to use, as you need a few bits and bobs for the construction which in truthflness are not needed... but it's best they teach it fully so I'm not complaining, just once you've made a few you can ditch most of the stuff.

The actual effect in basic form:

You bring out a bic pen and show it around (show, not hand out), you then press the pen to half it's original size between your palms.

More info on the effect:

So ive given a very basic description of the effect, now I'll go a bit more indepth on the details.
Firstly, the pen is not examinable before the performance... you could switch but that's not taught on the DVD. You can very openly show the pen though, but there is no need for them to actually examine the pen as... it's a pen lol.
You can write with the pen though, but it would have been nice to be able to let the specs handle the pen at some point before to subtlely get across that it's normal... this is easily possible, but it's just not covered on the DVD.
Once you have smashed the pen to half it's size, it can then be handed out for complete examination and given away for them to keep.
There is some minor clean-up before handing it out, which on the DVD was very noticeable and doesn't look to smooth, though if done how taught it does fly.
You are still not actually clean at the point you hand the pen out, but all attention is on the pen and so it's not a problem.

A couple of variations are taught on the DVD... though when I say variations I don't really see much difference other than the wording... well accept for one routine which I like the idea of that involves everything going wrong, including the pen not working, and in the frustration you do the effect.
Other rotines are taught, but as ive said, the handlings are the same but come across different due to the presentation.
One bonus addition is the ability to buy personalised pens, so if your doing something for a specific company, you could have there name on the side etc.... or your details, making it like an alternate to a business card lol.

Though this is never mentioned, but I feel that this would make a good opener, taking into account it can't be examined before etc.
Also it's a quick visual effect that will grab there attention.
It's also good as a throw away effect at some point to just chuck at them and catch them off guard.

I feel the clean-up should have been gone over a bit more, or have been more thought through, as if it looks awkward when the creator does it, it doesn't give you much confidence in the move lol.

The Gimmick:

Ive gone over how long it took me to construct etc, but I'll now give my thoughts on the actual gimmicks themselves.

Ok, first the good things...
The shrunken pen is completely examinable and can be given away, it writes also, which is a plus.
The gimmick has been well thought through, and is therefore deceptive and works well.
I have no idea how it compares to how other versions work, but this gimmick allows for you to perform the effect surrounded.
This does not take up much pocket space either, just as much as a pen would... or less.

Right, now for the bad points...
Only a certain type of bic pen will work, and it's one that is not readily available in the UK from what ive seen (and is stated on the DVD), though ebay is your friend.

I like the gimmick as it's overall pretty clever and well thought through, and there is actually quite a bit more that can be done with it, though it does have it's drawbacks as stated.

Teaching:

Daniel done a good job with the teaching on this project, and speaks and explains everything clearly.
It's done a lot better than some ive seen from those of his age... and those of older.
Good job on the teaching here, everything was understandable and well presented.

Difficulty:

Hmmm, now this is not difficult by any means, but some may strggle a bit with first constructing the gimmick... especially more younger performers.
Though saying that, Daniel himself is still young and he created it so...
I'd say it's easy, and something that most will easily be able to construct, and definitely be able to perform.

Now for the pros and cons of the effect:

Pros-

Can be done surrounded
Shrunken pen is fully examinable and can be given away
Looks nice and visual
More can be done with the gimmick
Not exactly going to make you broke
Practical and useable
Easy
Bic pens are cheap and so it'll be easy to keep making these up
No need for long sleeves or a jacket etc.

Cons-

Pen can't be examined/handled before
Not immediately clean
Pen has to be a specific type of Bic pen
Pens not so readily available to those of us in the UK (Though I believe there to be a similar pen that would work)

Now a Q&A with myself to hopefully answer most of the questions you may be left with, and just for some more info:

Q- So I read that you need a couple of bits and bobs for the construction of Compression... exactly what will I need so I can make sure I'm ready for when this arrives?

A- Hmmm... not telling!!

Q- WHAT.............

A- Just kidding... you'll need some chips, an ice cream cone, 10 pounds of whale fat, the ink from an octopuss, nail gun, blow torch, video editing equiptment, Vid cam, confederate, 4 sheep testicles and a tuft of hair from the sweaty encrusted armpit of a 500 pound hermaphidite prostitute named Percy... ok ok... not the whale fat.

Q- Huh... how do you know Percy???

A- Smile

Q- Thanks, that was the only qestion I had... your review answered everything

A- Cheers...

Q- No worries, thanks for the great review

A- Smile no probs... percy

Q- Smile

Overall and final thoughts:

Overall I myself am happy with this purchase as the end result is a nice, quick, visual effect that is a bit different.
It's not rough with the purse strings... (wallet lol... seriously...) is well put together and, despite some flaws, is something I will be using.
The DVD is not a rush job, the teaching is good, and I just like the idea of shrinking the pen lol.

Now this isn't a must get, it's not on that level... but at the same time it's not bad by any means, and is a lot better than some of the drivel that gets released...
I don't want to say mediocre as it deserves better than that so...
Im gonna say this is a nice effect that, though won't appeal to everyone, will be liked by those who want to perform such a thing, and is above average... just

I quite like it
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: Compression by Daniel Lachman
Medium: DVD
Arena: close up, street, strolling
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

I have to confess something. With the ease of filming and editing DVDs with computers anyone, and I mean dang near anyone, can make one. This means teens have been releasing material as original that isn’t original and new ‘extreme’ versions of old tricks they think are improvements that are not improvements. The street magicians and hallway hit men eat these DVDs up like candy and just influence some other kid to release garbage and it just goes on and on….until now. When I turned on Compression and saw a kid performing for people on the street and they were doing the expected responses for the camera I just hit ‘next chapter’ to get past it because it isn’t anything you don’t see time and time again. I am glad I did in one way, it allowed me to get into the meat of this great little effect. Daniel restored my faith in young people! Let’s take a look at Compression.

First the production level is just great. The performance was shot in San Francisco, the most beautiful city in the world, and his instructions shot on Concord California, one of the non beautiful cities in the world but where I spent a lot of time over the years. The instructions were shot in a warehouse type set up with great sound and lighting, yes, he broke away from street magic tradition and used lights while filming! How can you not love this kid? Who ever worked the camera filmed the right spots and the right time and Daniels delivery was scripted, rehearsed, and smooth. There was no ‘umm’ and ‘okay’ going on as filler he knew what he wanted to say and said it, very well done. Way to go Daniel!

Compression is a trick where you take a pen and reduce it in size by half. We all have done this type of trick before and I figured he was going to do it the same method as was done for years. He didn’t. He uses an existing magical concept but applies it to the pen reduction in a manner I’ve not seen before. He fooled the heck out of me. You show the pen, reduce it, and you can hand it out and they can write with it and if you want you can have your info put on the pen to give to potential clients, which Daniel went over as well, much to my joy, showed someone was thinking. The pen used is extremely common in business and schools here in the US, which is a plus, and they are about as inexpensive of pen as you are going to find. I love it when the effect doesn’t require a pen that can only be found in White Chapel area of London…more points in Daniels favor.

The instructions are clear and complete. You will be able to find everything you need to make the gimmick and everything easily and without putting out a lot of money. Daniel gives tips and suggestions on using the pen and gimmick as well as some great presentational points. I was so enthused about this I gave it some thought while driving around the desert then when I made my own set up I came up with a couple ideas that I want to share with you all should you get this DVD. First off in ditching the gimmick I had some problems with the movements and all that fun stuff. Since I wear a jacket when strolling and I felt this was strong enough to include in my set I put a little shim into the gimmick when I made it, you’ll know what I mean when you see it, and I put magnets in my jacket along the bottom seam. I can then move my hand down with the gimmick, slip it under my coat and attached to the magnet with no elbow movement to draw attention and it is quick. Another thing is the pen is, by color, perfect to use as a wand. It is a white pen with black tips, so I pull a pen out and it is seen as normal, proven as normal, then put back in the jacket pocket. I then pull my gimmicked pen out of the shirt pocket and the proof is done before and wham, I get ‘em with the pen compression.

I want to say that everyone under 30 looks like a kid to me so if Daniel is 24 I’m sorry, he looks to be around 17 to me, no offense meant. I think this is a great little trick for the street magicians and hallway hitmen but will fit in perfect for you guys who do magic at your office, this would kill during a presentation, you pull out a pen and say “I’ll keep it short” and hit ‘em with compression. I used it during strolling at the VFW and it went over big using a pen as a wand. The DVD is very well done and the production level better than most. When I saw it was a young guy on the DVD I really expected to be disappointed and was just floored all the way around by this. If any of you know Daniel tell him not to get a big head but really well done.
daniel_lachman
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of daniel_lachman
Thanks for the review. I'm actually fifteen by the way Smile
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Cool, that is in the range I thought. I think my doctor is 14 but he is 30. You did a great job and it is a good trick.

You lil' punkies out there that have made DVDs or plan on it, get a copy of this and see how it can be done if you take the time to do it right.
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Glad to hear someone did it right..good job dan the man!
Justin N. Miller
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Old guys, relative to the young man Dan, like you do it right too Justin! Just one word for you....LIGHTS.
daniel_lachman
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of daniel_lachman
Thanks for the comments everyone. Smile

My user name is now daniel_lachman just so you all know.

Daniel
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
817 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Dan,

Glad to see this finally released.
Looks great and very workable too.
On top of creating a nice effect, you have good qualities as well.
You are respectful and kind. You clearly are a great person.

Best of luck with COMPRESSION.
A wonderful contribution to magic.

Well done.

Nick Verna
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
I bought this. Very nice little trick. Well worth the money. Simple, easy, visual,effective, and gets away from cards and coins.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Full Compression Review (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL