The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Snowstorm Ideas (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
So for the last 5 years, I have been closing my Stand Up Act with Snowstorm in China. The way I "was" doing it was the way that McBride teaches...use 2 glasses, tear up the paper, soak it in water, grab the fan with the ##### sitting atop the handle, pull out the pieces of paper from the water, do the switch as you appear to dry the wet paper and TADA! You've got snow!

This is my favorite closer. My presentation is quite original and I ALWAYS get the waterworks from my audience. It's rare when this doesn't get me a standing ovation.

Ok...so about a month ago, I was doing a show and realized that during my set up, I set the fan...but forgot the water and the glasses....AND THE PAPER to tear up at the beginning! DOAH!!!! Hey...it happens! So I just grabbed the fan palming off the #####, did some sleights to show both hands were empty, opened up the fan and let it rip! I got the BEST REACTION YET doing it this way. It flowed much nicer than doing the hubbub with the water and soaking paper etc.

So I've done it ever since this way. I go into my story, pull out the fan while I talk, show both hands empty...and BOOM! IT's Christmas Time! The only thing that will make this routine better now is when Victor Vokito finsihes his snowstorm fan which I must have.

So I'm curious which methods you guys use (who do SS) to pull it off. Does anyone do the way I just described? Do you think it's a good method? Do you have any suggestions to make it better?

The only thing I can think of is to do an actual snowstorm, but I don't want to spend over $1K to do the effect...especially since I get such a great reaction from how I do it now!

Hoping this will be a good topic...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Suggestion: Throw up a background screen and project each of the four seasons as you perform in front of the screen; start with springtime and pink Cherry Blossoms blowing from the trees; then summertime and fireworks on the fourth of July (switch to red silver and blue mylar stars); then autumn (switch to yellow, orange, red and brown leaves blowing in the breeze) and finally end with Winter and the white snowstorm. Or, maybe it would end better with the fireworks of summer- you can perform it in any order.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Very Good! Why use the glass if water if you don't need it! I think in the original version of this effect the ##### was placed under the bottom of the goblet, and delivered when you got the water. These now seem to be unecessary steps with your method. I never understood why you would soak the pieces anyway.

Jim
afoi
View Profile
Regular user
malaysia
142 Posts

Profile of afoi
Soaking adds the magical value to it. Y?
the idea is like a dove pan on fire produce a live bird, how can a destructive elements like fire create life?
well, just a thought.
- a f o i -
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Yeah....I think the "magic" comes when my empty hands produce snow.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I know it's CALLED "Snowstorm in China" but that's just poetic naming. The basic effect is that you tear up paper into strips, wad it up and soak it in water, and when you fan it, the wet paper turns into dry confetti. That the confetti appears "snow-like" is what gives the trick its name, but I don't believe anyone believes it is actually snow. Unless you have a snow maker hidden backstage or in the ceiling and produce real snow that falls down on the audience, very few people, if asked, would guess that the trick is called "Snowstorm in China," unless, of course, you make a point of telling them, as Christopher Lyle does.

So, if your story is good enough, the water is not needed. Magic happens in the mind, and that's what the story sets their minds to see. But if you wanted to perform the effect silently and get them to see "snow" instead of confetti, here's a way.

Tear up the paper and immerse it in a clear goblet of water. Then begin blowing on the goblet. In seconds they see the goblet frosting over and they see your breath, as if it is getting colder and colder. When you invert the goblet, the water has turned to solid ice, with the paper concealed inside. Now when you break open the ice and begin to fan it, their minds may turn to snow. But that's a lot of work, when it is so much easier just to weave a story and let the magic happen internally.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Spellbinder,

WOW!!! I love that idea. Very cool...(pun intended).

I only called it Snowstorm in China in my thread so everyone would know that I wasn't actually doing a SNOW effect ala Kevin James or DC. If I could afford something like that, believe me, I'd be doing it. Just can't see spending big bucks on an effect when the audince gives me the same response for the lesser.

My presentation revolves around Christmas being my favorite time of the year and how I was married over a White Christmas...blah, blah, blah.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I used to do the Snowstorm with a fan. Now I prefer to use the Kevin James Snow Animator in a box. The confetti flies higher and will not stop until I turn off the motor.
I made some modifications and changed the motor. I have 2 sets. One for quiet operation close up and the other for a big stage / theater with a turbo fan.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Don't forget to follow up with a broom production. Clean-up is one of the biggest downsides to this effect.
Professor Spellbinder

Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

LOL!!! Classic!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Oliver - Twist
View Profile
Regular user
France
170 Posts

Profile of Oliver - Twist
I think that Larry Maples and Raven brought out a little booklet called 'Secrets of the Snowstorm". You might find some ideas in there.

Oliver.
May all your days be magical

Oliver Twist
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
In David Devant's "Tricks For Everyone" (London, 1913) this effect is entitled "The New Drying Machine", and the presentation is just as you mention above with the glass of water etc.

In Tarbell's course it is called "Wintertime in China"; again everything is as you describe.

If you are not doing the waterworks, but just producing the snow, check out my "Snow Leopard Vest" - a black velvet waistcoat becomes white dotted underneath a snowstorm.

Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

https://www.devilshank.com/
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Lee Alex's vest is great for Snowstorm performances. I think check that for your performance.

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
magicjazzz
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of magicjazzz
Variant of K.James Snowstorm without paper and water.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XxgbzV9hnI0
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
I once saw Aturo Brechatti preform the snowstorm in his show at Wintergarten in Berlin, Germany he was wearing a cape Cloak during the act that climaxed with the snowstorm effect. He spun himself around in the snow storm and the cape became covered with dots, much like Lee Alex's vest. It was a very beautiful and magical presentation.

Personally I had an idea of doing it with a hair dryer instead of the fan for a modern look.

I once saw a Asian magician (I think he was Japanese)do the snow storm with soap bubbles instead of confetti. He blow a couple of bobbles started to fan them and they multiplied in mid air into a kind of snowstorm. Very effective.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2007-11-01 12:57, Vibono Magic wrote:
Personaly I had an idea of doing it with a hair dryer insted of the fan for a modern look.

...and DANDRUFF!!! Smile
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
Hold the snow storm pack in one hand with a comb and the hair dryer in the other and just go Smile
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
820 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
Quote:
On 2007-10-28 11:01, lylemagic wrote:
The only thing that will make this routine better now is when Victor Vokito finishes his snowstorm fan which I must have.
Hoping this will be a good topic...

I wont to get the snowstorm fan from Viktor Voitko is the best standing ovation to finish the snowstorm.
Look the video in http://www.magic-voitko.com/index.php?o=1
"magic products" look the video!
Is Great...

Paulo
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
I agree Paulo. Victor Voitko's fan is great for any snowstorm act. Do you know if he start to sell that item?

magically yours,

Nedim Guzel
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
820 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
He have this effect: A fan appears.
Snow-storming automatically! A lot of confetti!
The fan is vanishing less than a second with a Explosion of confetti!
I will send a e-amail to Voitko to ask when he start to sell the fan.

Paulo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Snowstorm Ideas (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL