We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg - Kills! (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
fakiir
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of fakiir
If you have problem with the red stamp on the white egg (at least in Estonia all the eggs are stampted) use a fine grain sandpaper to wipe it off.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20492 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
That little piece of work (sanding VERY lightly) will also make them work better in an egg bag.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3393 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Bob,
Don't you make eggs for this effect? Aren't they brown eggs? Thanks.

I wonder if Tarbell has a routine for this effect in his books? Anyone know?

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Bob is exceedingly enthusiastic about his DoveLite eggs, and for good reason.

After reading my earlier post regarding the pros and cons of the Viking egg and the Tirofog "Eggasactly" egg, Bob sent me his DoveLite Silk to Egg props for comparison. He did indeed make my day.

As Bob suspected, I found the DoveLite egg to be a perfect balance between the Viking Egg and the Tirofog egg. It has the heft of the Viking egg but is virtually no larger than a medium Tirofog egg. Additionally, there is a slight texture to the surface of the DoveLite egg that makes for greater ease in handling, particularly if you do a routine (as I do) in which the gimmick egg and the real egg are both in your hand at the same time.

Bob was also spot-on regarding the size of the hole in the DoveLite egg. It's definitely large enough to fit over one's thumb and that, combined with the DoveLite egg's lesser fragility (when compared to the Tirofog egg), makes working an 18" silk into the egg quick and effortless. Bob says the egg will hold a 24" diamond cut silk, and I have no doubt it would. I was able to get a full-sized 24" silk into it with only a modicum of force.

My only concern regarding the DoveLite egg has to do with its porosity. Because it's made of unfinished porcelain (or some other ceramic material), it absorbs water, oil, etc. I asked Bob if, because of that, the egg would become discolored or noticably darker with use, and he responded that darkening wasn't a problem but that the eggs can get marks on them from other items that may be in one's pocket when the egg is there (keys, coins, etc.). If that happens he recommends washing them with a little baby shampoo and then letting them dry naturally or force drying them with a blow dryer. He also said that very dark marks and rust can be removed by buffing the egg with a very fine sandpaper or a sanding sponge. I test sanded my egg after putting a mark on it with a key, and the mark was quickly erased.

While it was not my intention to make this post a "Latest and Greatest" review, I thought that others would find a report of my experiments with this particular prop to be of benefit. Consider me a DoveLite convert!
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
How About A Hard Boiled Egg???

Just wondered if anyone has every tried the finish with a hard boiled egg? Break shell, peal egg, and break solid egg up into pieces. Would certainly solve the problem of a broken egg at the wrong time.

Just wonder what you guys think?

Thanks and have a nice day,

Walking Bob in Iowa
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20492 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2007-11-22 17:37, JamesinLA wrote:
Bob,
Don't you make eggs for this effect? Aren't they brown eggs? Thanks.

I wonder if Tarbell has a routine for this effect in his books? Anyone know?

Jim

Jim,

We have both the white and brown eggs. The brown eggs are especially hot in Europe where apparently they have brown real eggs in the stores and New England where brown eggs are valued.

I use a brown egg as a TT frequently because it works with 18" silks and sponge balls when TT won't.

Brown eggs just don't flash! The pros like them.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
923 Posts

Profile of ricker
I've got the Silk to Egg, both colors (brown and white) and the classic and the Walk Around version over at http://www.silkmagic.biz. Comes with two silks, egg(s) and stickers.

Even doing it close up for a friend both versions KILL.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20492 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2007-11-05 21:49, Donal Chayce wrote:
I perform Silk to Egg in every stand-up show I do, usually as my second trick but occasionally as a prearranged "encore." The handling I use is straight out of Rice's "Encyclopedia of Silk Magic"--the same routine that Whit Haydn uses. IMHO, it's an exceptionally clean routine.

I've used both the Viking egg and the Eggsactly egg (medium), and each has its pros and cons. I like the weight of the Viking egg when it comes time to do the shuttle pass (the egg almost automatically turns hole-downward), but it's little large for my hands. I like the size of the Eggsactly egg, but its a tad too light and I have to be more attentive to putting a slight spin on it when I do the pass. So I bounce back and forth between the two.

You only need to perform it once to understand why it's a classic.

The Rice Encyclopedia has a whole section on this in Volume 3, Chapter 21. And Lesson 19 in TarBell Volume 1 is another chapter with good instructions on the regular Silk to Egg.

Only recently have I published my Walk-Around Version of Silk to Egg although it is in my silk lectures and I have performed it for over thirty-five years. (It is certainly audience tested!) Those instructions are on the orange sheet packed in the China Egg Kit for The Walk-Around Version of Silk to Egg. (It also contains the extra matching egg prop you'll need.)

Classics aren't classics without good reason. They are as basic to this business as the wheel is to transportation.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20492 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This week I got an email from a magician we have known here on The Café. He is considering using the solid egg instead of the real egg because he had a real egg break "prematurely". He would not post his experience here so I will not embarrass Mr. Kohler by using his name.

Please assure him he is not the first to have a real egg break "prematurely". (Of course, I have no personal experience. OK, OK --- not this week. Guess why a pro has a backup egg?)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

KPPfeiffer
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of KPPfeiffer
Magicians might find this trick old, but the laymen reaction is always great! And that is what counts for a pro. But it's not only the trick itself, but the presentation!
I was hired on a cruise and they didn't allow me to bring eggs on the ship. Security, security! On the ship they had only -brown eggs. I was prepared. I brought some paint! Since it is more and more difficult to obtain white eggs, the paint works very good. I prefer white eggs BTW, because of contrast and better visibility.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20492 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I have learned to be prepared for both colors too.

Check your email. I sent you email at kppfeiffer@netcologne.de

Bob
Bob Sanders

KPPfeiffer
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of KPPfeiffer
Thanks Bob, I'll check my mailbox.
BTW, I use the Zimmeregg, a gimmick/routine by Dick Zimmerman. Very clever, no shuttle pass etc. neccessary.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20492 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
White eggs are much superior for contrast. I use them every chance I get.

However, for eggs the audience NEVER sees, I like brown because it can't flash! Catch a lecture sometime and I'll demonstrate.

When magicians on the Gulf Coast buy brown egg gimmicks where there are mostly white real eggs, they know something!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Quote:
On 2007-11-18 13:31, fakiir wrote:
If you have problem with the red stamp on the white egg (at least in Estonia all the eggs are stampted) use a fine grain sandpaper to wipe it off.

Couldn't you just stick the sticker over the red stamp? The stamp comes off when I put a wet paper towel on it for just a bit.

Bob Sanders sells a great Silk to Egg called The Walk-around Silk to Eggs! Wow! When I opened the package, the egg looked so real I expected it to be warm from the hen! It is even heavy like an egg! Amazing. The texture of the egg is just like a real egg. It is easy to grip, and never slips.

I asked for a brown egg, because I love the natural look of brown eggs. This is mostly the color of egg I find in Europe. In America, I can easily buy these brown eggs in any grocery store. Most of the organic eggs are brown.

Hint: Don't be afraid to open the egg carton to check the color of the eggs [and to check for broken eggs].

Incidentally, Bob's silks are pure silk from China 5 Momme and they drape like butter! Ooh! Every time I touch these silks I am never sure if I want to use them for magic or wear them!

And yes, this trick KILLS!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
I second the praise for Bob's Walk-around Silk to Egg! A great piece of magic with an instant re-set and high quality props. If you want to be able to do Egg to Silk a dozen times back to back without carrying a carton of eggs, this effect is a must-have.

I wouldn't worry about a red stamp on the egg. Why run if you aren't being chased?

My biggest problem with the effect is there are three of us in my club that want to use it in their act. That's not a bad thing unless we are performing back to back.

David
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20492 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
David,

Throw them a real curve and use sponge balls instead of the silk! Then have the sponge balls turn back into the silk.

Scheme!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

To all of you,

Thanks a million for the kind words. The Walk-Around Silk to Egg was my monopoly for 35 years. I never dreamed people would jump on it like they have. Sucker Silk to Egg - Kills and the Walk-around Version lets you use it where health departments will not. Even better, I love tricks that re-set.

Thanks again. Enjoy!

Bob

PS --- You do know that Silk to Egg can be done with ribbon, sponge balls or even paper money! then have them reappear elsewhere after the egg.
Bob Sanders

close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
763 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
I just got the viking egg in today and wow it looks so realistic, I do have to say that I'm alittle dispointed though. A few years back I bought Vernet Version and I wasn't happy at all, that version made me stay away from other versions for years, when I opened the viking my first reaction was holy cow, or should I say holy hen this looks so real but I think its too light. I'm a big guy with big hands and I feel that I'm going to break this thing just by grabbing it. I will give it a few performances and see what happens I guess.
J Rodriguez
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2008-03-07 21:15, close_up_act wrote:
I just got the viking egg in today and wow it looks so realistic, I do have to say that I'm alittle dispointed though. A few years back I bought Vernet Version and I wasn't happy at all, that version made me stay away from other versions for years, when I opened the viking my first reaction was holy cow, or should I say holy hen this looks so real but I think its too light. I'm a big guy with big hands and I feel that I'm going to break this thing just by grabbing it. I will give it a few performances and see what happens I guess.

If you break the Viking egg in your bare hands you are simply "holding" (read: squeezing) it much too tightly!
Howard Coberly
View Profile
Loyal user
Irvine, California
239 Posts

Profile of Howard Coberly
I'm looking for different body loading devices that will hold the egg. I really don't like loading it from the pocket. I made a simple one from a bent coat hanger that holds sometimes and sometimes not. I would not feel comfortable walking around too much for fear of the egg falling out. I was wondering if the ball holders that manipulators use would hold an egg firmly and allow for easy release.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Howard
"Our town used to be more fortunate...not a single winter passed without the visit of some star.
There used to be famous actors and singers, while today, God only knows! Nobody visits except magicians and organ-grinders. No esthetic satisfaction."
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20492 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Howard,

Contact Ian (MagicIanS here on The Café). He sells a nice leather "dropper" that pins into your coat.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg - Kills! (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL