We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg - Kills! (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Howard Coberly
View Profile
Loyal user
Irvine, California
239 Posts

Profile of Howard Coberly
Thanks, Bob!
"Our town used to be more fortunate...not a single winter passed without the visit of some star.
There used to be famous actors and singers, while today, God only knows! Nobody visits except magicians and organ-grinders. No esthetic satisfaction."
tank5030
View Profile
Regular user
Portsmouth, VA
151 Posts

Profile of tank5030
I just performed the sucker silk to egg for a group of middle school students I was speaking in chapel for. I used it as an object lesson for the message I gave. I believe this is the first trick I have done for them which got audible gasps. I take that to mean it went over well. I used Duane Laflin's handling from his Sensation Silk magic video. I like to end with the real egg. I agree, this trick is great! Now I just need to get myself a good fake egg. I made one up myself for this performance, but want to get a nice one. I'll have to add it to the growing list of "things to get."
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2008-03-11 23:45, Howard Coberly wrote:
I'm looking for different body loading devices that will hold the egg. I really don't like loading it from the pocket. I made a simple one from a bent coat hanger that holds sometimes and sometimes not. I would not feel comfortable walking around too much for fear of the egg falling out. I was wondering if the ball holders that manipulators use would hold an egg firmly and allow for easy release.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Howard

I'm told that Lynetta Welch makes an excelleng egg holder. Here's a link to her website: http://www.fabricmanipulations.com
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Profile of JohntheMagician
So are the any good DVD's of the SIlk to Egg out there? I know I know I should read it in a book but my reading time has been swallowed up by my kids.
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
<BR>____________________________________________
<BR>WWW.ILLUSIONDELUSION.COM
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20492 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
John,

Check your emails

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
763 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Ok I've played around and performed Bob Sanders Silk to Egg Walk-Around version, check out a full review from the quality, the weight, the look and the effect itself... http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=109&7

junior
J Rodriguez
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20492 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Last week I lectured at the International Battle of Magicians and in Kentucky on Silk to Egg and the Walk-Around version. I think that put it in the plans for a lot of magicians there. It routines well with other tricks.

For the rest of May I will be lecturing in Florida, Mississippi, Tennessee, New York and New Jersey. I hope I get to meet some of you out here.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
The Walk Around Silk to Egg really catches people off guard in a strolling act. It's like they expect to see coins, cards etc... from the strolling magician, but when the magi produces an egg, it just seems to floor them.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20492 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Something many may not know is that they can get these Walk-Around Silk To Egg sets (as well as other silk products) from:

http://www.chameleonfabrications.com

Currently, they are Canada's only supplier!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of snushy
Michael Ammar has a very clean silk to egg which makes clever use of his favorite secret weapon...the topit. He teaches it on his old Steven's Magic "Greater Magic Video Series."
L. Zaslow
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Actually Michael hasn't used the Topit method for many years. An updated handling, which is SUPER CLEAN is in his book The Magic of Michael Ammar. I've used his handling for years. I did use the Topit method prior and his updated version is by far the better of the two method.

Earlier in this thread there was talk about brown eggs. I had a talk with Ammar about his dilemma with brown eggs when he goes to Europe. Apparently there is a several shades of brown, so matching the egg to the gimmick can be a problem at times. Instead of carrying around several brown gimmicks, Michael just paints the real brown egg white. Problem solved.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20492 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
We just sent a bunch of brown egg gimmicks to Europe because they do match! It is here in the USA where we have played genetic games until the brown eggs have speckles. We have also fed marigold seeds to make the chicken skins yellow for the city folks in the grocery stores that think it means a healthy chicken!

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander

PS --- Come to the ranch sometime and see what color natural brown eggs are.
Bob Sanders

Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Bob's Walk-Around Silk to Egg is simply the best!

Whether you use Bob's routine, Michael Ammar's or whoever's (preferably your own), the props are sheer perfection!

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20492 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Thanks Andy!

We try hard.

Currently, the demand for the brown eggs is unusually high. They have always been the favorites in Europe and the UK. However, I personally like to use the brown one like a huge thumb tip or hank ball. The audience never sees it and being brown (very much like flesh) on ceramic it doesn't flash like the shinny painted mental ones do.

It will hold five 2" supersoft sponge balls for a stash or a 24" square silk. Eggs aren't just for breakfast anymore! LOL!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Canadians can get Bob's Walk Around Silk to Egg either directly from us at http://www.chameleonfabrications.com or from these brick and mortar shops:

Morrissey Magic in Toronto
Browser's Den in Toronto
Kind of Magic in Waterloo
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20492 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Rob,

From email questions I get, apparently magicians from all over the world are getting them from Canadian dealers. That's great!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- The most often asked question is how to clean them. I recommend using baby shampoo. Walk-around magicians are subjected to salad dressing, butter, ketchup, gravy, etc. on props handled by spectators. Clean up will be needed for a working magician.
Bob Sanders

tombola
View Profile
New user
Gothenburg, Sweden
51 Posts

Profile of tombola
Hello everybody.

I'm not really sure of how to end the routine. I use a real egg for the finale, wich gives great reactions but is a bit messy. I currently have the glass on a small tray. I use paper towels to clean my hands directly afterwards, but the glass and the tray often get messy and I don't want the audience to see me cleaning everything up with paper.

It's like watching a magician performing the "card on ceiling" as a final trick, and after the applause has faded he walks around the stage, bending down to pick up the cards. It's just not very graceful.

I would love if anyone could give me tips on avoiding messiness.

Pardon my spelling.

Tom.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6439 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You don't need to have a gooey egg yolk and egg white mess fall out of the egg to prove the point that the vanished handkerchief is not in the egg. The egg can be filled with jelly beans (Easter Egg) which makes no mess, but gets the point across that the silk is not inside. Other inserts could include a pearl necklace, M&M's, confetti, sand or salt (for the start of a sand or salt pour routine), or even a handkerchief of a different color.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hello Tom,

Here are two different endings that we have used and both use blown eggs.

First, if you have OLEC then crack the egg into the cage and release a live bird. Or, second, palm a SnowStorm load and crush the egg shell and do a SnowStorm with a fan, blowing away the eggshell bits in the storm.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Hi, Tom...

I agree, things can get a bit messy when cracking open a real egg. I don't know if there's a "one size fits all" solution, but here's mine.

1. I use a glass with a very large mouth. I used to use a large, heavy, margarita glass, but for the past several years I've been using a jumbo-sized rocks glass (the glass that I'm holding in my avatar photo). The mouth of the jumbo rocks glass is not as large as that of the margarita glass, but the rocks glass is more in keeping with my character. Indeed, it helps to establish my character as it contains a couple of (faux) ice cubes and is half-filled when "scotch" (diluted tea, really) when I enter holding it. I take a sip from it after I enter and then sit it on my table, where it rests during my first routine. I take another sip from it at the start of my second routine (which is the silk to egg routine), and I then finish off the "scotch" in a single gulp when I pick up the glass to crack the egg into it.

If it wasn't for the character boost I get from using the rocks glass, I would still be using the margarita glass or some sort of other wide mouth, stemmed glass (e.g., a martini glass), as it's much easier to keep the egg off of your hands if you use a stemmed glass and hold the glass by the stem when cracking open the egg.

2. I hold the glass in one hand and crack the egg open with the other hand (practice makes perfect). I first crack the egg on the edge of the glass and then make sure that the egg is directly over the mouth of the glass before I break it open. Needless to say, I drop the egg shells into the glass as well.

3. At the conclusion of the routine (i.e., as the applause is winding down, I place the glass containing the egg into a small, shallow Tupperware container that sits on a shelf inside my table (it's out of the view of the audience).

4. I then visibly wipe my hands with a small cloth towel (cotton, but not terry cloth) that's been dampened and then folded and placed into the same Tupperware container prior to the show. I generally speak the lines that bridge the now-ended routine with my next routine while I'm wiping my hands.

5. After I've wiped my hands, I replace the towel from whence it came in the table. (BTW--I don't stand behind the table, rather I stand to the left of it.)

That's it, except to say that if I happen to get a lot of the raw egg on my hand(s), it takes a bit more effort to wipe them clean and, accordingly, the lotion I've rubbed into them prior to the show may need to be "topped off". I keep a small bottle of that lotion in my table for just such an occasion, and if I feel I need to add a little lotion to my hands after I've wiped them I just bring out the bottle, squeeze a bit onto my hand, and then rub it in while I continue to talk. I usually don't even comment on it--the audience has already seen me "wash" my hands, so I figure they understand what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. I takes about 10 seconds, 15 seconds tops.

That's my handling--take whatever is useful and leave the rest.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg - Kills! (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL