The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » That awkward move in Color Monte.. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
...you know what I mean.. there's a name for it but it escapes me.. it's very illogical and looks sort of fishy... where you pull the top card back then push them forward after the first reveal?

I saw a video of Chet Atkins doing the color monte and he elimated that move totally but I can't remember what he did nor have I seen other substitutions but I'm sure they're out there.

Can anybody post any sleight names/resources for substitutions?

thanks
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Christ alignment move, I think it is.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
Yes, that sounds familiar. I wish I could find that Chet clip..kj
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I reverse the direction and push the top card *forward* and draw the middle card back as I adjust my grip. I know I risk flashing a double along the front edge, but it happens quickly enough that I've never been caught. Just tilt the packet down a bit for cover. Besides, it's more logical if I'm talking about the top card that I push it forward to the person instead of away from them.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
R Paul Wilson eliminated this move in his Gypsy Monte presentation.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
Tina I
View Profile
Regular user
Oslo/ Norway
194 Posts

Profile of Tina I
I used to be concerned about that move but being unable to find a better way (they all felt awkward to me) I stuck with the original and I have never been called on it. But when doing Color Monte, and I do it quite a bit, I do it a little fast with one moment flowing directly over to the next. My patter, which basically is a three card analogy, makes the speed seem natural.

Another moment of the Color Monte that is very exploitable is the fact that your audience is completely oblivious to the fact that you use three different cards so they don't expect your every move to be a sleight. They firmly believe that you have two plus one so when you show them the bottom card, then the top card they simply don't expect to fooled until you show them the middle card which, unknown to them, is the actual card you show them.

Just some thoughts... Guess I just revealed that I really like Color Monte Smile

Tina
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Glad you've made this thread thumbslinger because I've recently acquired CM & am new to this particular move & its raised concerns in my mind too. However I've not audience tested it yet, just practicing at home now & again. I think though that 'Tina I' comment in her 2nd para is highly relevant and well-made. So I'm going to stick with it (see below). In other routines if I don't like a move I do find an alternative for example I've got two tricks (one cards, one not) with 6 and 3 items respectively each requiring a force: The supplied routine prompts the 'spell'/count 'left to right' force which I really don't like, so I've come up with alternatives.
As for this I'm sticking with the original moves. I've tried to motivate it with my patter so it doesn't look as 'suspicious' (but as Tina says, it isn't really). The moves takes quite some handling practice in my view, at my first (several) attempts I felt you could easily see two cards were coming away, but I'm getting better at it now. I have seen this trick described as 'easy' & even a 'self worker' on other threads. This depresses me... I find it quite difficult(!) There's a fair amount to remember, given the patter. However in a while, I may well take the view it is easy as pie. At the moment, I don't think so! Great routine though, a classic.
mrsmiles
(UK)
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
There's really no need to be concerned with the Christ Alignment Move as long as you get it down smoothly.
You should try and make it look like you're NOT pushing the card forward but that you are sliding the card off the top. Yes, it takes practice.
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
Jaz and Tina, both good insights. I actually do the move pretty smoothly but just have a little 'internal' problem with the way the cards move.

It's like watching Paul Harris do Reset.. the hand movements almost look painful though most spectators probably just love the wonderful effect that happens.

However, not to hijack my own thread, Nick Trost' handling of Reset is so much smoother and more consistent in terms of how the hands move that I thought I'd search for more consistency and natural looking counts for my color monte.

Thanks to all!
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
I've done the alignment move both ways, and never been called on it. I prefer sliding it backwards. I've also gone back and forth with a buckle over a DL.
Tina I
View Profile
Regular user
Oslo/ Norway
194 Posts

Profile of Tina I
Quote:
On 2007-11-01 08:22, mrsmiles wrote: I have seen this trick described as 'easy' & even a 'self worker' on other threads. This depresses me... I find it quite difficult(!) There's a fair amount to remember, given the patter. However in a while, I may well take the view it is easy as pie. At the moment, I don't think so! Great routine though, a classic.

I never really understand how some rate a trick. Sometimes it seem to be based solely on the number of sleights involved. I don't think CM is 'easy', it takes quite some practice to make it sit right. I actually find that performing this specific trick well takes much more than pure technical skill. This goes for a lot of the packet tricks in my opinion where you have fewer 'distractions' available than when working with a full deck. But still, many packet tricks are advertised as "easy" even if it contains fairly advanced moves.

Tina
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
Hmm you might wanna check Garreth Thomas' DVD. He got great idea regarding color monte and eliminate chris alignment move. hope this help

cheers
Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
Ian Richards
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of Ian Richards
In addition to R. Paul Wilson, Allan Ackerman, Kostya Kimlat and J.C. Wagner have published or put on video moves that eliminate the Christ Annemann Alignment Move in Color Monte like routines.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I think it looks good if done smoothly.....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I use Dingle's Quick 3 way handleing! And my handleing cuts out the 2 th. one!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
After I made my above post I remembered something from "The Complete Works of Derek Dingle". That is the one I think Dave mentions. It's the handling used in 'Quick D-Way'.

Another thought was a variation of a stud deal from "The Card Magic of LePaul".

Lastly, the use of a Biddle type move (don't know the name) came to mind as well.
Al Albers
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Al Albers
I amended the handling and crafted a story that fits this effect; it was included in my One-Man Parade in the December 2004 issue of The Linking Ring magazine. If you don't have this issue but would like to have my version, send me an email ... I'll be happy to send it to you.

Al
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Please watch the following movie http://www.card-shark.de/Monkey_Monte_eng.swf from my trick Monkey Monte. It uses the same principle like the Color Monte but eliminates this slight completely. Rudolf Braunmueller from Germany came up with that idea years ago. What do you think? It is much more natural.

Christian
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
Card-Shark: The handling looks good. Much more natural than the normal move.
Mentalism for the Metroplex
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
..and I applaud you on going smart and current and using an Flv video formatted file... all platforms read flash and it's so much nicer to see the effect instead of hunting for a plug-in!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » That awkward move in Color Monte.. (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL