The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Why Haven't You Bought This? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
I have posted my personal opinions on the Ron Bauer series previously. These booklets are, in my personal opinion, one of the best buys in magic period. These booklets WILL make you a better magician. I won’t take your time repeating why I feel this way.

But I’d like your input about something fairly specific. I was talking with Ron Bauer, Tom Gattis, Sandra Kort, and John Dowdy… we all have wondered why this series is not more popular, why it is not a standard item on every magician’s book shelves. All of us (mentioned above) realize the strength of the series and realize each piece is a finished show piece mixed with unbelievable teachings on philosophy, presentation, etc. So if you have seen this series before and have not purchased all of the booklets… why? I don’t mean this in a sassy manner. I just think the series deserves to be a “standard” item and I am not sure why it is not… so I am asking. If you’d prefer you can e-mail me in private. What has kept you from buying this series if you have not purchased any of the booklets? If you’ve only purchased part of the series, why? Are you familiar with this series? Do you think there is something that would make the series better? Would it help if you SAW the routines by someone who uses them daily?

I appreciate your time and help. I am not associated with the series but am just a firm believer in this and would like to help these guys make it more successful. Part of this is understanding WHY they are not yet a current classic, a series on everyone’s shelves. Thanks in advance.

Tim Trono
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Tim,

I think it is a simple matter of money. Now don't get me wrong, I have all of these and I love them, and for a pro, they're worth every Penny.

But each booklet is only a few, half-sized pages long, translating to under 10 full-size pages. Each trick is $10. So you're looking at $240 for a collection of 24 routines when they are all completed. For $40, I can get a full-size, hardbound book complete with a plethora of photos and a dust jacket that has twice as much material.

Again, I think the Bauer series is great, but I am a full-time pro and it is worth it to me, even if I don't do one effect from the series, just to read Ron's thinking and philosophy. But I can see how part-timers and hobbyists would balk at that kind of dough to shell out for the series when they could get the entire Tarbell Course, for example, instead.

That's my take--I could be wrong.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Tim,

It's good to read that the Bauer series material resonates for you. If the material works for you, great!

Looking for external validation for your opinion seems awkward, and finding such might lead to even more awkward discoveries. This self/group issue is why and how fads come and go.

If Ron's works inspire you to perform sucessfully, then hurray for you and your discovery. There is no disputing taste. And one man's meat may be another man's poison.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Hi Scott. I agree. I think there are other factors but this is certainly one of them. I know that Ron wanted to make it so each booklet was its own item, its own piece - so people would place more emphasis on learning each one as opposed to a big book where you just kind of scan through it and it goes on the shelf. But I realize economics DO play a part. I was amazed, as an example, when people were going crazy at the price of Ultimate 3 Fly. For someone who buys it to USE it, it's a bargain. But if you don't use it it is a few hundred bucks down the drain.

Again, I agree with you but it amazes me when I see how much work that went into these. On top of being great routines I've simply never seen such thorough work to putting it all together.

I have recommended to Ron that they put together a performance only tape of the whole series and sell it for relatively inexpensive price point. I think this would 1) help people realize how good these routines actually are 2) help those who have bought the booklets SEE what the pieces should look like and 3) act as a demo so people can see these are all finished pieces and not just a booklet of some pipe dreams.

Thanks for the input Scott.

Tim
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Tim,

Perhaps it's because it has been drilled into the young magi's to be original, don't copy or perform someone elses routine but make it your own.

This series is absolutely wonderful (I own 4 so far) and any enterprising magi could learn 7-10 of these routines and be set for life. It would be extremely hard to personalize these routines as every move and every word is there for a purpose.

I, like Scott, love the thinking behind this series and am currently working on including "Xerox Money" as this is the effect that got me started 26 years ago.

Jeff Pierce
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
Brother Tim,

My take is that Mr. Bauer's set is yet unknown to the mainstream. Take one or three of his effects and have some of the top names do them on their shows and he will be an over night success. Remember how it was before Kevin James was a magician's house hold name? Then David Copperfield did his Floating Rose effect. Next thing you know he's selling a video of the effect at $60.00 (unheard of), yet he sold them.

Have the big names come out and publically praise his work. People like Bill Malone, David Regal, Eugene Burger, David Acer, and others. This works as a magnet for these type of things.

Just my opinion. It was free so take it for what it is worth.
Doug
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Is it called Ron Bauer Private Studies Series? I will buy all 12 and write a review.

Lee
Terry
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Terry
Well, I simply have not heard of them. I thought I had a pretty decent library, but I guess not.

"But each booklet is only a few, half-sized pages long, translating to under 10 full-size pages. Each trick is $10. So you're looking at $240 for a collection of 24 routines."

This clip may also have something to do with it as I mainly focus on hardbacks and book type volumes.

I will look into Ron Bauer's work.
As mentioned previously, having it formally reviewed or endorsed can help, too.
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
I'm back again. If you'd like to get a gander at what Brother Ron has to offer check out his site at http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com/indexa.htm

Enjoy,
Doug
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Thanks for the input so far.

Jonathan, I do not need my opinions validated… I am quite comfortable with them. I thought I made that clear in my initial letter. My intent, as stated before is to try to figure out what some of the problems or hurdles might be as I don’t personally get it. It’s called marketing. I don’t have any part of this series but I am CURIOUS as to why it is not more widely known and am asking a question, not seeking validation. In any product that is released it is wise to get feedback and opinions as we often become too “close” to something to really see some of the other aspects. Once again, this is an attempt to try to understand the market. Why some things sell well and some don’t. I have my own opinions and realize opinions vary. But it’s interesting to hear WHY. I think many reviewers, as an example, stop too short in telling exactly WHY they recommend an item or WHY NOT. It’s easy to say “it’s great” or “it sucks” but that doesn’t help anyone. I’m very comfortable in my thoughts as it works for “me”.

Would I like to see these guys do well with their series? YES! But it's interesting to think about what is "moving" and why. It says something about the state of magic and is important to understand.

Jeff, interesting point you bring up. I said something similar at one point to Ron and he brought up a very valid point. He pointed out that when an actor goes for a part he or she has a script. How they “perform” or portray the script is what THEY bring to the table. I agree that maybe this distinction is not brought up enough when discussing the subject of “being yourself” as many people just jump on the bandwagon without putting thought into it. Good point you brought up.

Doug, thanks for bringing up the site. I forgot to mention that for those who don’t know about this. I think the site is an indication that Ron, John, Sandra, and Tom really believe in this series. It’s certainly not a money maker for them but I think they are mainly trying to give back to the art. It’s funny you brought up the part about others endorsing this. In a discussion with Sandra Kort just yesterday I asked her the same thing and she forward these to me:

"Ron Bauer’s Private Studies Series contains some of the cleverest, commercial routines that I have witnessed—each booklet is truly a gem. Ron is to be highly commended for making such a unique series available."
-Tom Gagnon

"The discerning performer owes a tremendous debt of gratitude to Ron Bauer for making available his unprecedented 'Private Studies Series'. Never before has the magic fraternity been offered such a variety of quality professional routines replete with every word of dialogue, crystal clear illustrations and the psychology necessary to insure each effect a masterpiece of theater."
-Roger Klause

"The booklets are excellent. No one can claim to know all the work on these classic effects without first reading Bauer's take on the subject."
-David Regal

"Ron Bauer has done the hard work for us and he offers his results on a silver platter! He found the tricks, he's perfected the handling, he's created the presentation and he's even written the script! All we have to do is read, follow Sandra Kort's crystal clear illustrations and practice. At ten dollars apiece, I think the Private Studies booklets are an excellent value!"
-Daryl

"I feel that the manuscripts are the finest instruction manuals to be released in magic. The value of them puts most typical magic books to shame. I look forward to lots more."
-Marc DeSouza

"Real world practical material that you can make money with.... I actually use some of it myself!"
-Bruce Cervon

"Ron Bauer is a master of scripting and handling. The routines, practical and brilliantly polished, will bring your magical thinking into new dimensions."
-Rafael Benatar

I recommended that they make these opinions by these respected performers more widely known.

Terry, I’d be very interested to get your thoughts positive or negative after you look at one.

Tim
mitrof
View Profile
New user
Sunny South Florida
54 Posts

Profile of mitrof
Tim:

I started buying a few of the coin and ring routines -- I'm always looking for non-card ideas to incorporate into my sets. I liked what I saw and since then I've bought some others. I think I have around 8 now.

I agree with Scott and others, the thinking and philosophy are well worth the investment.

I don't know about a performace only video. The booklets are so well written that you should be able to get what you need from them.

To be honest, I don't remember how I heard about them.

I saw a couple of them recently at one of the local 'brick-and-mortar' magic stores and I asked the salesman/magician what he thought about them. He said he had never read them. Since I had already bought some, I was interested in his opinion.

One final note, I purchased all of mine online from http://www.thinklikeaconjuror.com -- the price for the booklets in the local store was much more than $10.

-Frank
Talisman
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Talisman
Here are some reasons:

1. The price. People are used to buying booklets that contains several tricks. I'm sure that for some magi one of those booklets could be worth 100 times its price but buying habits are hard to change.

2. Never heard of Ron or his magic. I'm sure he is great (we all are) but again, I've never heard of him.

3. I'm a video guy. Sorry.

Some advice:

1. Put them into 2 booklets, not 22.

2. Wait a year and then release a trilogy of videos explaining 2/3 of them. This is what Close did with his Workers series and this is how I think it should be done.

Talisman , Israel

P.S. If you are not a video guy (or maybe Ron isn't) at least put online some video demos of some of those routines. I haven't bought the Kohler 3 Fly and I'm not going to buy Ron's series upon your recommendations alone (no offense). This is the internet era. Those who don't use it will be left behind.
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Talisman, I do agree that if people saw these routines they'd buy the booklets. I just heard Tom Gattis (one of Ron's students who is apparently quite great at all of this) was at a convention and people were trying to find out where this stuff he was doing came from.

I think the presentational aspect of these booklets make the routines too long though for internet video clips - the internet clips tend to lend themselves more with quick, super visual pieces. But I do agree people need to see these and I hope Ron will consider the idea I proposed of an inexpensive (ex. $10 to $15) demo video showing all of the routines and maybe teaching one item not in the series. I personally would love to SEE all of these performed. I do a few but not all of the pieces. I think seeing these routines would win people over and it would help those trying to learn the pieces.

Ron is kind of an underground legend. He's very very successful in his regular field of work so rarely, if ever attends, conventions, etc. But if you are familiar with Don Alan, Milton Kort, Charlie Miller, etc. then invariably Ron's name has come to light. But you again bring up a valid point that he's not in the "current" mainstream like Jay Sankey or Michael Ammar as he’s not out there lecturing, doing the convention circuit, etc.

I don't think as a matter of principle that Ron will ever put these together in a book. Several come with special "things" which also makes that prohibitive. But going back to your other point, I told Ron that if people SAW this stuff I feel it would overcome their price tag objective. As per your example, if you SAW Kohler do U3F you'd quickly whip out the wallet.

I was just about to post this and I re-read your post. You brought up the importance of the clips and advised you wouldn’t just buy something based on someone’s recommendation (which makes sense). It instantly made me think though of the “problem” of people endlessly analyzing a clip and bashing an item based on the clip… look at the flack that Silver Shifter or The Elevator received… criticism without true knowledge. So does this present a problem? Does it hurt sales? Thus is a clip really wise?

Thanks for your input Talisman.

Tim
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
Tim,

I think many of the reasons given (price, unknown personality, etc.) are quite valid. I base my choice of effects on how they affect me when I first see or read the routine. Because of that, I would gladly buy a performance only video in the price range you suggested. That would allow me to see which of the booklets appeal to me most before committing the $10 per effect/presentation. I have heard positive reviews of these booklets, but cannot justify "experimenting" at $10 each.
Dave Mustane
View Profile
New user
Ottawa canada
9 Posts

Profile of Dave Mustane
Tim,

There are people who rant and rave to see a video demo, and when it goes up they jump all over it after watching it over and over, by pointing out small details they would never have noticed the first time seeing it.

I watched the Elevator demo once, that's all I needed to see. I went ahead and bought it, and I'm glad I did. It's worth every Penny. I'm only going to show it to the same audience once right???

It's a shame that these guys work hard to put up a demo and have it slammed by some inexperienced people who call themselves magicians yet who can't get over the small details that took them 20 times to notice for example. I guess you are darned if you do and your darned if you don't.

In regards to Ron, I have only recently heard of him, but his stuff sounds great. I will take a look.
What goes around, comes around!
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Thanks, Paul and Dave. Dave, in reading your post it made me realize that with video clips some guys are basically playing "layman" and just trying to figure stuff out. So you are correct when you say you are ****ed if you do and you are ****ed if you don’t. Imagine reading about Silver Shifter or The Elevator and not seeing it. People would be going insane. So then a clip is put out and people criticize it just because they might have an idea of how it’s done. Shouldn’t we anyway? Aren’t we magicians? OK, off my soapbox. With a demo video it's not so much about the secret but about demonstrating how wonderful the routine is. So maybe it wouldn't get nailed as hard as most video clips would. Paul, I'll put your vote with mine and forward it to Ron.

Thanks again, guys.

Tim
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
I agree, Tim, most people won't buy the book or video if they see a demo. Maybe you should get a demo of one of his other works. That way they can see the effects he might do. I am not sure when they came out, but I never heard of them. I am hooked now though and will probably buy the whole series from a collector's stand point.

Lee
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
For what my opinion is worth, let me restate it: I personally feel that these booklets are AWESOME! Also, I didn't mention it in my earlier post, and Tim only glazed over it, but many of the scripts come with the gimmicks needed to perform them (such as packet tricks, or extra gaffed cards to be added to a deck, practice bills, etc). In that sense, these routines are similar to any other packet trick, etc., in that they sell for $10, about the median going rate.

Bauer is a STUD. If you haven't heard of him, it's likely because you haven't been in close up magic long. He was friends with and ranks up there with Vernon, Marlo, Skinner, Jennings, Grismer, Cervon, etc. And the booklets ARE excellently produced.

I just didn't want people to take my previous post negatively. I was simply pointing out in that post what I felt was the main reason why people weren't buying these.

The nice feature of these over a large collection in a book is that you don't have to spend $40-60 all at once up front. If, for instance, you don't like cards, you can just buy the non-card routines. Or you could just buy the "Cursed Ring" if you're looking for an excellent impromptu ring and stick routine. So there are as many pros as cons to putting them out this way. I personally prefer it, as I only have to shell out ten bucks at a time. Then I can study that routine and wait to get another for only another ten bucks.

All in all, this series has my highest, unreserved recommendation. It truly will make anyone who intelligently studies it a better magician!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I am late to this discussion. Honestly I didn’t know that this series was not doing as well as Tim reports! I have been buying them for years! Even before the re-writes and up dated covers and graphics. I have even been replacing my favorites with the new editions. (No I don’t take part of the rip the cover off the old and get a new one free offer, I don’t mind having two copies of a routine.) I tend to buy those routines that I would actually use, but see myself owning the entire series before long.

I suspect that the sale of this series will be an avalanche effect. Slow at first then very difficult to keep up with. I have never seen a bad review of any of these effects. In fact, Scott has reviewed several on Visions. He rates them all highly (as he emphasizes here!).

Personally, I would like to see them all bound in one or two (or three volumes) for convenience. Yes, I know that this would be very difficult (but not impossible) to include the special items provided. I would still pay the collected individual cover price for the bound volume.

I cannot praise this series highly enough. Frankly, it does not break my heart that more magicians are not buying and using Ron’s stuff. I am selfish that way!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Hi Harry. I hope I have not conveyed that this series is a flop, as it's not. If I conveyed that I apologize. It certainly is NOT as big of a seller as I personally feel it should be. And that’s why I was trying to get a better idea of what some of the objections are. I’d love to see these guys have a major hit with this series. The series has actually been out for quite some time so I'm surprised that the avalanche hasn't yet started.

I told Tom Gattis that I think one of the things holding the series back somewhat is that these are booklets. Unfortunately books, booklets, etc. just don't seem to be as popular as videos/DVDs. With the shorter attention spans and need for immediate gratification we see more and more of today, less people (unfortunately) seem to be reading magic books. In reality, these are “tricks” (I hate that term) but that’s hard for the consumer to “get” when all they see is a small booklet.

Tim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Why Haven't You Bought This? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL