The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Kaps' Shaker (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DDH
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of DDH
Hi all!

Over the last year I've been studying the work of my hero Fred Kaps and trying to dissect his famous Grand Prix FISM Act. Anyone wanting to see a masterclass in manipulation, storytelling and character should take a look and learn everything they can from that routine!

However, there is one sleight that stumps me. Early on in the routine, just after he has rolled his cane in the newspaper, he sprinkles it with a salt shaker which he then throws up into the air as it vanishes. I'm wondering, did he use a T**** for this move or is he utilising something else which has passed me by? I've also noticed that he uses the same technique at the very end of the act to ditch his Salt Pour G****** so he can show his empty hands and end clean.

Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps Pete Biro would be best qualified to post on this subject?

If anyone wants to see this routine, go to You Tube and search for Fred Kaps. Various performances of it have been posted.

Thanks

DDH (Danial Home)
Tina I
View Profile
Regular user
Oslo/ Norway
194 Posts

Profile of Tina I
He's using a combination of liquid hydrogen, magnets and mirrors... No wait, that was someone else Smile
Looks to me like he's using a T**** but who knows? There are tons of ways to vanish stuff. I don't think you're likely to get an exact explanation here though, and if you want to do a similar thing why not find the best suited method for you to use? After all it's just a question of ditching something Smile

Great show by the way, hadn't seen it before.

Tina
DDH
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of DDH
Thanks Tina! I'm glad you enjoyed the routine.

It's not really so much that I'm looking to do the same move as Kaps does, it is just that I'm trying to learn as much from the great man as I can to improve my own magic. I guess I'm not even that concerned about the method, it is just that I've never seen anyone do a ditch as cleanly as that.

I know that there is no s***v**g involved as in one version of the performance he defies everyone by performing with bare arms. If it is a T**** he utilises, then he's using it in a way that I've never seen before.

Did anyone see Kaps perform live? Or even meet that man? I know Pete Biro worked with him a lot and was great friend with Fred. Any stories for us Pete?
DoveLover
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of DoveLover
Hi DDH, you got PM.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Fred is wearing tails and there is your answer. The certain something for the salt pour is ditched in the same spot as well.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
If you check Professor Hoffman's "Modern Magic" and "Later Magic," published in the 1890's and the early 1900's, you will see a complete explanation of the "profonde" arrangement in a set of tails.

Another good reason to read old magic books once in a while! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
DDH
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of DDH
Thanks for your comments!

DoveLover - just as I suspected, thanks for giving me a reassuring prod in the right direction!

RS1963 - again, thanks for the prod!

sethb - a great reference, thanks! I actually have downloads of these two books from our favourite magic ebook store but haven't taken a proper look at them yet. I'll have a look and let you know how I get on!
poki
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of poki
Thank you Sethb,

Just the resource I needed to design a profonde for my tails..!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
YES, Fred used the tail profonde. Interesting about Roy Benson finishing and not using profonde, topit OR ANYTHING. Had me fooled for years. Turned out he did not ditch it, just made a gesture and walked off. Nobody noticed it was still in his hand.
Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2007, DDH wrote:

It's not really so much that I'm looking to do the same move as Kaps does, it is just that I'm trying to learn as much from the great man as I can to improve my own magic. I guess I'm not even that concerned about the method, it is just that I've never seen anyone do a ditch as cleanly as that.

I know that there is no s***v**g involved as in one version of the performance he defies everyone by performing with bare arms. If it is a T**** he utilises, then he's using it in a way that I've never seen before.

Did anyone see Kaps perform live? Or even meet that man? I know Pete Biro worked with him a lot and was great friend with Fred. Any stories for us Pete?

I met Fred Kaps at Wichita, Kansas magic convention. I also seen him at Abbott's Magic convention in Colon, Michigan.

From studying his magic acts and lecture notes, I come to believe Fred Kaps was an constant reader of magic books and publications. I myself only read 9 magic magazines, but Fred Kaps used magic and methods that originated from little known works as well.

Most everything he did had some connection to very old publications and manufactures of years gone by.

Fred Kaps real secret was his manipulation ability, how he moved his hands, arms, and body in natural movements that were not questioned as "he just did something" kinds of statements or thinking by onlookers.

Fred Kaps could apply his style to the magic of old, as well. It effect may have looked the same as the text on the page, but it was not at all, when Fred Kaps applied his talent to the effects and made it as only he could create.

This only comes from constant practice, and most importantly, rehearsal. He was a professional magician in Holland, that meant, magic was his profession and sole employment. When a person has a vocation, it means he dedicated time and energy to making it the best he possibly can.

That means getting up in the morning, cleaning up, having breakfast, then going to a room, setting up your act, getting your costume on and rehearsing your act in full. Thinking, changing, and studying every action to see if it is what you want the audience to see.

There is an old thought for success. When you are called, are you ready to perform to your best. If an opportunity came today, will you be ready. As in most cases, you only get on opportunity in life.

Fred Kaps won 3 FISM conventions, that gave him exposure to the world of entertainment that hire novelty acts.

The next FISM Convention is in South Korea, July 9 - 14, 2018. Are you ready?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Kaps' Shaker (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL