The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Floating Ball- Okito's steps??? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
One of the balls made by Edmund Speer (Fu Manchu's mechanic) was recently for sale on ebay.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Funny nobody mentions Finn Jon's great floating ball routine. He can do it in full light and also combines mime work sans the you know what.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
Well that got ME interested for sure...

I know you are one of the most knowledgeable guys out there, Pete, but which Finn Jonn ball is this? He is so prolific and has so many A-1 ideas, many of which are full lt.

Sorry if Finn Jonn's name hasn't come up, but to anyone into floating, it's kind of a given, he is THE guy!

Always interested in your thoughts.

-Mike
Senor Rai
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Senor Rai
Hello, I do have a copy of the Albo book, The Oriental Magic of the Bambergs for sale it"s in great shape, but quite pricey. Please let me know if anyone is inetersted. Richard is right, the Billy Russell routain is great. But of course Okito's was the very best. I had one with the chest, and it was made of light metal, I bought it from a collector, and it came with a Zombie gimmack.
Grampa Wizard
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Grampa Wizard
Spellbinder is such a wise & knowledgeable guy! And such a good writer. Thanks, PS for your comments on this illusion.

Folks have been saying a lot here about the need for a lot of rehearsal for this and similar illusions. And there is proof that such work pays off. I stumbled onto the Ukrainian magician Galina as I was researching the floating ball. And the way she combines the floating silks with the ball and then the ball with the self-levitation is fabulous. And then at the end, Spellbinder's dream finish as she lets the ball free to rise into the flies. This is the most sensual and beautiful magic I have seen in a long time. It is a beautifully choreographed and realized performance. Okito and Don Wayne should be thrilled to see what has become of this illusion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnmORbVSR6U&feature=fvw

At the end click on the two other Galina videos. Talk about some sexy linking ring moves! And the rings segue neatly into another routine with the floating ball. Well, here, I'll give you those links too, just to be sure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGdTpHJLNXo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H-nVn2OKGc
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Floatations have always been on the forefront,as with many other suave routines.
In many cases just the music leaves the audience floating. But in all this seems that the real workers never get noticed,who are they,who are those masked marvels (well hidden), without them we maghi could not perform.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Bryan, PM me with your email, ill send you some stuff, I did some research some years back.

Illucifer, is teller currently performing 'the red ball' in their show? I might have to go just to check it out.

Good day.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Yeah! Okay!
I've FINALLY assembled the correct props to work on my
Portable, Non-Stage "Okito Floating Ball" routine!!!

--I've had constructed the correct (non-tinsel) portable backdrop.
--I've got the perfect size and weight Sphere.
--The best choice of music I've ever encountered.
--And I've found an angle free flawless hook-up.

And most of all, I can implement the ultimate secret to
Okito's success with his presentation,
which since I discovered it, have not shared with a living soul.

Now, once I've hired qualified people to help me stage this,
I should be able to perform this Levitation in almost any circumstances,
and with subtleties that I've never seen before, live or video.

Now I've got everything together, I've got too work by rear off,
to master and perfect this classic of Magic.

I have to add that all my years working with the Zombie Ball,
have helped greatly to master this method.

I'll certainly post a video when it's all performance ready.

Don't give up on this spectacular Illusion guys,
just keep buying all you can find on the topic and you'll get there.

Walt
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Walt,
I hope it goes well. Let me know if I can help if you hit a stumbling block.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
[Duplicate post in another thread.]

Sorry...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Teller of Penn and Teller is suppose to have a fabulous David Abbott floating red ball routine.
mobi
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of mobi
Teller did his routine on Fool Us USA - you can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xp-a2aTZAI
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You can see it without leaving the Café as well. Thanks for that link, I wanted to mention it as well.

This version was very different then any I have ever seen. Don't know if I like the playing with the ball that much. Instead of the Floating Ball, it is more like the obedient, not obedient ball. I expected the routine to be a little longer, but with today's audiences, it may have been just right. I am very thrilled to be able to witness this finally, as Teller worked on this for a year or so before performing it on stage, from what I read.

This version was taken from the David Abbott Floating Ball, not from Okito.

Here is an article that appeared after Teller's performance.

http://lasvegasweekly.com/news/2008/nov/......-teller/
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
A year ago at our Collector's meeting in Cincinnati, Teller came in and told the whole story on the routine development. It was very, very enlightening. His thinking is extremely brilliant and it shows how much work goes into a routine. If you ever get the chance to hear it, you should. At Teller's request, there were no audio or video records made of the lecture since it is something he is still very much using. I feel honored that I was able to hear this lecture.
Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Looks Great!

Bairefoot
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Very original, I sure don't know how he did it. I am sure Penn is not telling the truth when he says, "The next trick is done with just a piece of thread." It has to more then that to do all those antics of the ball.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2007, Laszlo Csizmadi wrote:
The best routines I ever saw from Galina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H-nVn2OKGc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnmORbVSR6U&feature=related

Best,

Las
This is an 8 year old post in this thread but I just watched this for the first time..
I was hypnotized with her body movements. She must have been trained in ballet.
Ihor
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I know it's not fair to tantalize then not deliver ...but I'm dong it anyway since this effect is constantly talked about in so many forums so many times.

By all accounts Okito made this (now ubiquitous) piece into a career-making vehicle. That much we know.

But it was not just the "steps" and moves ...they've been duplicated and many are on numerous videos now.

I found one tiny little secret (not even in Albo’s books) ...and in one short sentence, in one very obscure text that enlightened and convinced me, that there is one small element that's not been replicated since he performed.

It's not much of a jump from good Magic to a reputation making Miracle, but Okito took Abbott’s concept/method and did just that. Maybe before I die I'll tip my hand and give it out, but not before I've successfully mastered this nuanced technique myself.

Okay hate me if you must <grin>
Magically, Walt
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On May 14, 2016, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
I know it's not fair to tantalize then not deliver ...but I'm dong it anyway since this effect is constantly talked about in so many forums so many times.

By all accounts Okito made this (now ubiquitous) piece into a career-making vehicle. That much we know.

But it was not just the "steps" and moves ...they've been duplicated and many are on numerous videos now.

I found one tiny little secret (not even in Albo’s books) ...and in one short sentence, in one very obscure text that enlightened and convinced me, that there is one small element that's not been replicated since he performed.

It's not much of a jump from good Magic to a reputation making Miracle, but Okito took Abbott’s concept/method and did just that. Maybe before I die I'll tip my hand and give it out, but not before I've successfully mastered this nuanced technique myself.

Magically, Walt

You mean the way he put ****** on the ***** to make it *********?

I thought everybody knew that!
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
Quote:
On May 15, 2016, cheesewrestler wrote:
Quote:
On May 14, 2016, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:

Magically, Walt

You mean the way he put ****** on the ***** to make it *********?

I thought everybody knew that!

Yes, well known but will not work the same on the new ***********. So, no big deal.
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Floating Ball- Okito's steps??? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL