The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dropping Things (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wackyvorlon
View Profile
New user
Sarnia, ON, Canada
72 Posts

Profile of wackyvorlon
I just recently bought my first gimmick - a ball and vase. I've shown it to one or two friends. This has exposed a hitherto unanticipated problem. For some reason, every time I drop it at least twice Smile Of course, with a ball and vase, once you drop it the whole thing is given away.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is it just a matter of practice, or do you have something special you do to keep from dropping things? Smile
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
Quote:
On 2007-11-29 23:00, wackyvorlon wrote:
Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is it just a matter of practice, or do you have something special you do to keep from dropping things? Smile

Hold on to them and you will not drop them........

Actually if you are doing ball and vase, do it on a table.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Welcome to the Café...and to magic!

Nope...nothing special. You've figured it. It, and all things magic, just takes practice.

Hang in there. Mark.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Yup, definitely practice. Ball and vase can be done without a table, but it is much more easily done over a table or a close up pad. While the trick looks easy to do (and it is comparatively easy) it takes more practice than you would think to do it smoothly. Never demo a trick to friends until you can do it without looking at it, and 99.9999% of the time do it with no hitches.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Dropping is part of the learning. Key is, do not rush to perform before you are 100% sure fire ready.

Andy
Cards never lie
Tina I
View Profile
Regular user
Oslo/ Norway
194 Posts

Profile of Tina I
It's always tempting to show off new effects to friends/ family, especially the 'easy' stuff. However everything in magic, right down to the completly self working stuff, need a presentation. And a presentation need to be practiced. So although the ball and vase looks and feel easy you need to get used to the moves.

When you do it time and time again it will become sort of a muscle memory. Your handling will be smooth and you'll be able to do the routine with confidence. If you don't feel 100% confident that you can do it without dropping something you should practice a lot more.

Good luck
Tina
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Just wait, you've still got to flash and drop 100's of coins, do triple lifts when a double is called for, forget where you are in a count, have your final loads in C&B go rolling across the table BEFORE the reveal. Ah the joys of learning! As stated above, practice practice practice and ENJOY!
Mick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dropping Things (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL