The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Are Harry Lorayne's Apocalypse books a must on a magician's shelf ? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
Please post your thoughts here. Are Harry Lorayne's Apocalypse books recommended ?
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
EvanAndrews
View Profile
Regular user
California
128 Posts

Profile of EvanAndrews
They are awesome books. There are tons upon tons of magic in all the books. I would like to buy them all myself. You could probably live off the magic in these books.
????.....Yeah
jhostler
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of jhostler
If you want a great collection for a lot less money, stick with the Collected Almanac.
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
I, too, prefer Richard's Collected Almanac.

You can get it brand new (with shipping included!) for around $55.00.

Lots of good card and non-card stuff to have fun with.
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
I own Apocalypse and the material is top notch. You can't lose. I also agree that Richard's Almanac is great material. Get both and you're set for the rest of your magical life. Smile
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
He's probably bidding on e-bay for the set of 1-3 Apocalypse which is available for the next 20 minutes. It's up to around $172 last I checked.
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Harry Lorayne's Apocalypse set the standard for close-up magic in the 1980s and 1990s. Many of the works of the best of today's thinkers and doers in the world of card, coin, and varied close-up magic are represented in the pages of Apocalypse. Few publications before or after have had the consistent quality of material that was offered during the 20-year run of Apocalypse.

IMO, if you don't have Apocalypse, you are really missing out.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
Terry
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Terry
Yes, but why is this urgent?

Lemme guess -
You and Harry have a bet as to how many responses you will get?

You are in line at the bookstore and they are closing in 1hr 45 mins?

You are on Celebrity Survivor and must have a double undercut shuffle routine to complete your Ambitious Aces routine?

Your mother asked for a birthday gift list?
magicgirl
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magicgirl
I won't repeat what everyone else here has said about Apocalypse because I agree. Get it - you won't be sorry. The best price I have seen on the books is at 1MagicShop - $54.95 for each book. I think that is the lowest price you could possibly get it for. You can check them out at:

http://www.1magicshop.com/
john blaze
View Profile
New user
PA
82 Posts

Profile of john blaze
I love Apocalypse as well. Harry will beat any advertised (even on the interent) price. If you go through him, you can get them autographed. For the folks who like Apocalypse, what effects have you found from older and more recent issues that you actually perform, or want to one day?
Fred E. Bert
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
359 Posts

Profile of Fred E. Bert
As magicgirl said, tne Apocalypse books are only $54.95 at http://www.1magicshop.com/
PLUS, if you order over $100 of merchandise, SHIPPING IS FREE.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I used to do the coins across in there.

And given the chance I will perform "Now!".

There are two coins through table methods in there I like.

There is a cute trick where a blank card in the cardbox sucks the ink off a selection.

Would you believe there is a cylinder and coins method in there that uses no gaff and where the vanish sequence starts two ahead? Really!

There is a copper silver coin transposition that happens leaving ungaffed coins in two spectator's hands even though it uses a gaff.

There is an oil and water handling that uses the full deck.

The Roth chink-a-chink, hanging coins and 'legendary four coin trick' are there.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan
...to all the coins I've dropped here
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
Quote:
On 2003-02-25 13:33, mysticz wrote:
Harry Lorayne's Apocalypse set the standard for close-up magic in the 1980s and 1990s. Many of the works of the best of today's thinkers and doers in the world of card, coin, and varied close-up magic are represented in the pages of Apocalypse. Few publications before or after have had the consistent quality of material that was offered during the 20-year run of Apocalypse.

IMO, if you don't have Apocalypse, you are really missing out.

Joe Z.

I have had the pleasure of being fooled, badly fooled and fried by Joe with effects he has learned from Apocalypse. If you want to be kept busy for some time and learn some great effects, Apocalypse is a great place to start.

Courtney
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
Quote:
On 2003-02-26 00:40, john blaze wrote:
I love Apocalypse as well. Harry will beat any advertised (even on the interent) price. If you go through him, you can get them autographed.

How can you get them direct from Harry? His website only appears to offer his memory training material.

-bigwolf {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
Try this site:

http://lorayne.port5.com/

Lower part of the page states "Autographs upon request".
Macofchester
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Macofchester
If you are an experienced close-up magician, enjoy learning from books instead of CV’s these books are brilliant. Great insight into a great magic mind, contributions from some of the world’s greats. My recommendation is to take your time reading the book, there is so much great content that it’s easy to overlook a gem.
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of magicthree
If I only could only buy one thing ever in magic it would be all the Apocalyses.
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of magicthree
One too many only's in that last post. Sorry about that.
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
Agree, I would not trade anyone with Apocalypses.
Terry Miller
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Terry Miller
There was a lot of bad blood between them, but apocalypse, Richards Almanac, pallbearers, Chronicles, Epilogue... so much fantastic material. If I had to give up one...I’d say ‘why are you trying to make me give up these great books?’
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Are Harry Lorayne's Apocalypse books a must on a magician's shelf ? (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL