The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Reputation ruined by my physics teacher (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ray_Mago
View Profile
New user
Rio Rancho
82 Posts

Profile of Ray_Mago
OK so I was performing for my class today (not my whole class, just 5 or 10 people around me) and I usually stun almost everyone, but anyways...

I was showing this one trick where they pick a card, and then when I flip the cards over theirs is the only one who hasn't flipped. Everybody was amazed.

but then my physics teacher comes up and says, "ah, so you are showing magic tricks? I know a couple myself," the thing is I thought he meant he knew how to perform them, not screw me over. so he takes the deck turns around and says, "i have picked one card from the deck," and I am like well how the heck am I supposed to guess it? so I trying to save myself, and the people who saw him were laughing, because when he turned around he brought one card to his pocket.

It was miserable.

Luckily I saved myself a little by showing the trick to a girl, and she was totally AMAZED.

I want to punch my teacher in the face though, lol.
Have you Amazed?
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I was not there, but may I offer a different view. Could it be that your behavior during performing the trick was too much show-off, so that the teacher decided to teach you a lesson?

Reading you mail, I got the impression that you use magic to impress people. Apologies, if I am wrong. But there is a great difference between using magic to make yourself special and using magic to entertain people - and by that become someone special.

Again, I might be way out here. So apologies again.

Andy
Cards never lie
Ray_Mago
View Profile
New user
Rio Rancho
82 Posts

Profile of Ray_Mago
I am in magic to entertain people

O.K. , I may have forgotten to explain the original reason why I perform in my class.

One day, we were talking about reality tv shows, and shows that people think are cool. I mentioned that I am a big fan of Mindfreak, and someone said, "well all mindfreak is is camera tricks, it even explains in the beginning," and I explained that the disclaimer does not say that, and he never knew magic could happen without a camera. I always keep the "this, that, other," trick in my wallet, so I say, "watch this." and so I started performing. some of my fellow classmates have a love of my tricks, so I feel obligated to show them some.

the only reason my teacher came to me was because he saw me telling my table partner to 'pick a card,' and this simply interested him. he might have had a bad experience with magician's or something, but I do not think that he was trying to teach me a lesson.
Have you Amazed?
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
This sounds like you need to let it go. When your teacher asked you to find his card you could have said something like...

Do you REALLY think I'm THAT good?
Ray_Mago
View Profile
New user
Rio Rancho
82 Posts

Profile of Ray_Mago
Lol, it's funny you mention that.

when he asked I was like, "who do you think I am, a magician?."

lol.
Have you Amazed?
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
This kind of thing has happened to just about all of us and it will happen again. There's a name for this kind of thing but the words in that name aren't allowed in this forum.

Here's what happens. Some people have to test others in what they do to see how "genuine" or "real" they are. I'm not talking about "real magic" I'm talking about if they really are good at what they do. The truth is it usually isn't about the trick you are doing. It's about your personality.

Let me give you a non-magic example. Well, I was performing magic at the time but the situation wasn't about magic. I was at a bar and had a little crowd around me while I was performing. All of the sudden someone asked me "What's your hat for?". I had two choices in this matter. I could either ignore the question or think of something whitty to do or say in reply to it. In this instance I replied with the old, "Can you keep a secret? I can too". The question had nothing to do with what I was doing. It was a test to see if I was as "good" or "likable" as I'm making myself out to be.

In your example if he put the card in his pocket and asked you to find it I would likely say something along the lines of, "That's easy, it's in your pocket. Now guess what card I have in my pocket".

The important thing to is to realize what this is. It's a test of your whits not your skills at sleight of hand. Humor is usually your best defense to these challenges.

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Don't punch your teacher in the face. Get even instead. It's much more satisfying. Set your teacher up, now that you know the type of thing he is likely to try when he sees you performing. Next time be ready to blow his socks off.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3362 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-12-05 18:25, Ray_Mago wrote:
I am in magic to entertain people

O.K. , I may have forgot to explain the original reason why I perform in my class.

One day, we were talking about reality tv shows, and shows that people think are cool. I mentioned that I am a big fan of Mindfreak, and someone said, "well all mindfreak is is camera tricks, it even explains in the beginning," and I explained that the disclaimer does not say that, and he never knew magic could happen without a camera. I always keep the "this, that, other," trick in my wallet, so I say, "watch this." and so I started performing. some of my fellow classmates have a love of my tricks, so I feel obligated to show them some.

the only reason my teacher came to me was because he saw me telling my table partner to 'pick a card,' and this simply interested him. he might have had a bad experience with magician's or something, but I do not think that he was trying to teach me a lesson.

thanks - as said, your first post did sound a little bit like that
Cards never lie
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
*** but I do not think that he was trying to teach me a lesson.***

And God forbid he might have been trying to teach HIS class during YOUR magic show!
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Quote:
On 2007-12-05 21:30, MickeyPainless wrote:
*** but I do not think that he was trying to teach me a lesson.***

And God forbid he might have been trying to teach HIS class during YOUR magic show!

That's what I was thinking.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Sounds like a job for an invisible deck, or maybe Killer Kollasal.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Ray_Mago
View Profile
New user
Rio Rancho
82 Posts

Profile of Ray_Mago
It was the last ten minutes of class, and nobody ever does anything the last ten minutes of class.
Have you Amazed?
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3362 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-12-05 23:37, Ray_Mago wrote:
It was the last ten minutes of class, and nobody ever does anything the last ten minutes of class.

LOL - now that is a good one . . . . . . . . thanks for sharing this.
Cards never lie
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Great teacher .. next time just answer with humor. I think that is best. If everybody saw that card in his pocket its a no brainer to say: ye its in ur pocket.
Ray_Mago
View Profile
New user
Rio Rancho
82 Posts

Profile of Ray_Mago
I have forgotten about it now, I have much better things to worry about.
Have you Amazed?
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
You could have done this and fried him:

http://www.thoughtcontrol.ca/A_Card_Merely_Thought_of/
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
Ray_Mago
View Profile
New user
Rio Rancho
82 Posts

Profile of Ray_Mago
Also the thing is he was facing away when he put it in his pocket, only a couple of people saw it. and remember he STOLE the pack of cards and randomly said, "where is my card?"
Have you Amazed?
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
Obviously you are not familiar with the routine I mentioned
Even so he just took out a card you could have revealed it...
There are methods that just do that.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On 2007-12-05 17:51, Ray_Mago wrote:
Ok so I was performing for my class today (not my whole class, just 5 or 10 people around me) and I usually stun almost everyone, but anyways...

I was showing this one trick where they pick a card, and then when I flip the cards over theirs is the only one who hasn't flipped. Everybody was amazed.

but then my physics teacher comes up and says, "ah, so you are showing magic tricks? I know a couple myself," the thing is I thought he meant he knew how to perform them, not screw me over. so he takes the deck turns around and says, "i have picked one card from the deck," and I am like well how the heck am I supposed to guess it? so I trying to save myself, and the people who saw him were laughing, because when he turned around he brought one card to his pocket.

It was miserable.

Luckily I saved myself a little by showing the trick to a girl, and she was totally AMAZED.

I want to punch my teacher in the face though, lol.

you should look up Tac a lack or Diplopia. either one you would be able to tell him what card he put in his pocket. if you do decide to learn either, when you perform it make sure to draw out the reveal. milk it real well!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Ray_Mago
View Profile
New user
Rio Rancho
82 Posts

Profile of Ray_Mago
Thanks guys, I will look up some of the stuff you mentioned.
Have you Amazed?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Reputation ruined by my physics teacher (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL