The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Mentalism? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

weinitor
View Profile
New user
Taiwan
6 Posts

Profile of weinitor
Well, I'm just a teen, a Christian and I love doing magic.
But there is a question I've always wanted to know. That is, is it OK to do mentalism for a Christian? Everyone knows that magic is trick, but mentalism somtimes make people confused.
I mean, mentalism does do great effect to people and will attract many audience into your church.
But, will it confuse them that all of the miracles God does is just only magic?
when the altar call, what to do if they see the overflow of the Holy Spirit as another magician's mentalism?
I wanted to get in to mentalism but I'm just afraid of losing God's will.
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Hi weinitor,

Welcome to The Magic Café! I predict that you are going to love this place and make many new friends here.

The Mentalism and Christianity topic has been discussed a bit here so you may want to read some of our past discussions first. I think this will really help you and answer many of your questions.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=16

Please read through all the posts and if you still have questions, feel free to post them here. I think it's a great topic and I'm glad to hear that you're interested in it too!

If you are confused about God's will in your life, allow me to recommend this book, "Decisions Decisions". It can be found on this website, http://www.wayofthemasterradio.com I've heard discussion on it and it sounds like it's a very good read.

Welcome again and God bless you!

Joe
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I do mentalism in my programs from time to time, but I always tie it into the fact, even though I can't predict the future, I know one who knows what your future is...

It's those who try to make it like they really have that ability and try to pass themselves off as such (John Edwards...even a big name on this Café tried to tell us he actually does what he does) that are the troublesome ones. You could even open the program with this...even though I really don't have the ability to read minds or predict the future, if I did, it might look something like this...and then go on with the program.

Just a thought.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Quote:
On 2007-12-23 17:37, Terry Owens wrote:
...even a big name on this Café tried to tell us he actually does what he does) that are the troublesome ones.

The "big name" you're referring to does indeed do what he does, and he's no trouble at all.
mrtricky
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
60 Posts

Profile of mrtricky
I sure hope it's okay - I wrote a book about it!

- Eric
weinitor
View Profile
New user
Taiwan
6 Posts

Profile of weinitor
Thanks for all the articles, Joe
I surely would take some times to read it over
and thankyou Terry for the great idea!
It's nice to see there's so many Christian Magician here
Yet I'm just a beginner in mentalism, I'll still learn more!
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
You're welcome,and actually your thought process about confusing people and the power of the Holy Spirit is right on. I'm very conscience of the same concern you have that you stated on your first post. For example, claiming to talk to the dead would be way out of line...

Keep the Holy Spirit involved in the process of putting together your routines, He comes up with great ideas.

Keep the faith!
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Quote:
It's those who try to make it like they really have that ability and try to pass themselves off as such (John Edwards...even a big name on this Café tried to tell us he actually does what he does) that are the troublesome ones.

Yeah, that gave me a chuckle. It's one thing to snooker a layman, but trying to fool a magician makes you look a little like you need meds worse than Tom Cruise.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
Gentlemen'

I come from a "reformed" (read: Presbyterian) perspective. Which means, I believe that God has created all things for our good. However, some things can be used for negative purposes.

"All things are permissable, not not all things are beneficial". My point is that "art" is an important part of culture. "Art" itself is a canvas, it is neither good or evil.

Instead of people of faith standing at a distance, maybe the better path is to "affect" from within. My point is "art" is something that reflects an attribute of God; creativity. If you would like to influence others regarding issues of faith, invest yourselves in the people in art. Love people. I understand we may not agree with other people's "religious" perspectives. It certainly doesn't mean they cannot be your friends. Indeed they can.

We should not expect people who have different perspectives to make the same "ethical" decisons that we do. I am not suggestion that there is not right and wrong; most certainly there is. Instead of worrying about others choices, we can focus instead on making an impact in our "sphere of influence". Be an expert at something. Be passionate about the life you have been given. "Creating art" can be an act of "worship", with the proper "heart".

I am a serious student of mentalism and a christian. I have a "formal" theological education (read: Seminary). THESE ARE NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE. Simply evaluate for yourselves, but understand your freedom. You can perform in a very convincing manner and still walk consistently with conviction. I would be very careful drawing "arbitrary" lines and saying what is good and what is wrong. Think through your opinion, weigh it against biblical truth and then live it out. Remember God gives you the desire to entertain and to be creative. Just use that desire with wisdom and with confidence.

Be passionate, love the art and honor God!

Sean
Tony Brent
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando, Florida
156 Posts

Profile of Tony Brent
Sean have you read "The War of Art" buy any chance?
I agree with Cliford the Red; sometimes it's easiest to fool magicians. There are also a few big names in the magic industry who think they really have magic powers.

Weinitor your post is great. You are legitmately trying to follow God's will. Just continue to do that and the answers will be revealed to you. Personally I think you can do mentalism in the church as long as you remember your goal is to win people for Christ.

Tony Brent
Outta Control Magic Show
Orlando
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
Tony,

Thanks for the post. No I haven't (read the "The War of Art"), is that by Steven Pressfield? I'd like to hear more about that. Nice website by the way.

I also agree that Weinitor is honestly trying to be "mindful" about making the right choice. That demonstrates a lot of wisdom. I agree that if you seek answers, you will find them.

With Regards,
Sean
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Sean,

I appreciated your post. I, too, have seminary training (Cincinnati Bible College & Seminary, now Cincinnati Christian University) and enjoy mentalism. I am in the process of trying to work up an act that I can stick with and continue to develop. It seems like every time I do a show, I change things around not because of the audience, but because I like a lot of different things. A veteran performer recently told me to develop an act and continue to improve upon it. SO, that is what I shall try.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
weinitor
View Profile
New user
Taiwan
6 Posts

Profile of weinitor
Thanks for giving me all the faith!
So I guess now is the time I practice the great art!
I really appreciate all the aspect from all of you, sincerely appreciate.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I love to remind them, even though I really can't predict the future, I know of one who can...
Austin113
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
67 Posts

Profile of Austin113
I would make it clear right up front that you only intend to entertain...that you are not claiming to have any supernatural abilities and that you certainly aren't trying to uproot someone's faith.
The method is not the secret.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Mentalism? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL